Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma vs. Frontier

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma vs. Frontier

Okay, I'm looking for as unbiased an opinion as possible.

I'm going to be getting a new small truck very soon and here's my choices:

'03 Frontier Standard Model for about $14000
w/basic gear package
w/floor mats
w/their version of "toyoguard" (free since I don't want it)

or

'03 Tacoma 4x2 for $12200
w/enhancement package
w/toyoguard
w/floor mats

Which one would you buy, why?
What else do I need to know about these?
What are things that I need to watch for when I get one of them(i.e.timing belt prone to breakage)?
Can you fit a motorcycle in the bed easily?
What are quality/cheap(price) aftermarket sites for both?

Thanks in advance,
-Barry-
Old 07-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

which one

well first your on a TOYOTA board,, but honestly, i would never buy anything other toyota (with in reason) as i tell all the FORD & CHEVY lovers here,, all you have to do is look in the paper,,, ford chevy and dodge always have lots and lots of trucks for sale, there are few toyotas and the ones that are there are priced high, thats because of TOYOTA quailty, my runner is my second toyota, my first was an 82 P-U 4x2 22R that had close to 200K mls, and this one now is a 99 4 Runner 3.4L i had the timing belt replaced at 95K mls. it wasnt going yet, but it was in for service, so i went ahead and did itwhile it was there, toyotas will run forever so IMO id buy the Toyota and save yourself $ 2000 for your bike, $2000 will buy alot of nice new gear for that bike, lol.. thats just MY thoughts,, good luck on what ever ya get.
Ric
Old 07-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

hmmmm, an unbiased opinion from a bunch of toyota guys, good luck.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

re

lol,,,,, i hear ya,, but i have owned ford, chevy, honda and toyota,, with out question the toyotas has been the best, in every catagory..
Ric
Old 07-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Nam

For realiabilty, resale values, and long term cost of operation and maintenance, I would go for Toyota pickup! However, if you fell in love with the Nissan Frontier, there is nothing wrong with them.

I am do not have the answer for your motocycle!

Good luck,

Nam
Old 07-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

the frontier is a good truck, but look at resale value. they go for dirt cheap, i almost bought a 95 for less money than my 83 toy. the nissans will be a bit bouncier, but i think it is quieter.

for the money, i would go with the toy, it will have a higher resale value, and be more reliable. yes, it will hold a bike just fine, i put one in my 83.

o, one more thing, the toy will have more power, and you will be able to feel it if you drive them both.

either way you go, you will be happy, they are both great trucks, but the toy has the edge in many areas. including factory optional S/C on all truck motors, not just one
Old 07-21-2003, 07:52 PM

Well, I don't think TOYOTA's are everything to die for despite owning one. However, I will tell you to get the TACOMA for two very simple reasons:

1 - Lot's more head room and leg room. In a FRONTIER, I feel a cramped up.

2 - Just by the looks of it. I hate that plastic with the the fake ribits on it on the FRONTIER's.... ARGH!! TACOMA will always look better.

In addition to this, yes, they are more reliable and have a prolong life (FOREVER??......)

TACOMA definitely...............
Old 07-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nam
However, if you fell in love with the Nissan Frontier, there is nothing wrong with them.

Nam
except that theyre ugly, right?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Nam

Originally posted by its2slo
except that theyre ugly, right?
Hmm, you may be right but the beauty is on the eyes of the beholder!

well, for me I like the Tacoma better, especially, extral Cab 4x4 SR5 package!

Nam
Old 07-21-2003, 09:33 PM

I'll give you a GREAT educated opinion because I owned a Xterra (same platform/interior/parts/engine as the Frontier- Xterra is based on the Frontier shortbed). My friend owns a 2002 Taco.
Here are my observations:

1. The Taco has a more solid interior - everything feels solid and of higher quality.

2. The Taco has a stronger/better engine. And the engine is also more refined (smoother delivery of power)

3. No sliding rear window in the Frontier. Dumb.

4. The suspension feels more solid and handles on road better.

5. The bed of the Frontier is deeper and shorter. The Taco bed is shallow- a bit disconcerting but my friend, who really uses the bed, hasn't had an issue.

6. The Taco gets better gas mileage

7. The Taco will look better in 5 or 10 years (already looks better now). The plastic panels on the Frontier already look dated. It is heavy-handed styling.

8. What do they use when it absolutely cannot break down, has to last in the worst conditions and abuse like in Afghanistan, all over the middle east, africa and asia? Taco. What do they use if they can't get a Taco? Frontier.

9. Both have bulletproof engines and are very reliable.

There you have it!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Well first: I sold my 2000 frontier crew cab for my 88' Toyota 4runner. I saw the 4runner, and decided I had to have it.

BUT:
I loved the Frontier. It was an awesome truck. It was incredibly comfortable, even on very log trips. And it hauled stuff very easily. I hauled a Jeep CJ5 from kansas going 80MPH the whole way. It never skipped a beat. And it was very quick! and still got decent milage.

As far as choosing between the two. I would say just buy the one you like better. as far as quality and re-sale goes. I think they are very comparable.
When I sold mine, I sold it for right at bluebook within 5 days. So I know they sell.

good luck and show us some pics of yout new truck!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

My roommate has an 03 Frontier Nissan clone of my Tacoma double cab.

We've both determined that my Toyota is the better machine. His runs 170 HP mine is at 190 (yeah yeah, I know... actual Dyno runs differ but still). His truck is nice looking and when I was debating what to get I was actually favoring the Frontier.

The Toyota is just more roomier and has a little more kick under the hood. For my roommate's purposes his truck does just fine. Has enough power when he needs it, hauling/cargo space if he needs it (he's got a hard tonneau cover - trunk style) and if it's anything like his previous Frontier it'll last him a good amount of time.
He doesn't like his mileage though. Actually it's bad enough where he's already thinking about what car to get after he's done with the payments.

Personally, my Tacoma is the best thing I could have gotten. It's super modification friendly, the engine is organized well so I learn quickly. Gas mileage is pretty decent for a truck, especially since I'm not as much of a leadfoot as I once was.

I favor the Tacoma for my reasons and many of the reasons already listed above. But when it comes down to it you've narrowed down 2 reliable machines that will serve you as well as you serve them.

Win-win situation if you ask me. Okay, maybe not... more like
win-winninger
Old 07-22-2003, 02:30 AM

What part of the country do you live? Here in Atlanta, you can buy a 2003 Nissan Frontier (manual)with VTP for around $11,500. Also, are comparing a 2003 Frontier extended cab with a Tacoma single cab? Nissan only comes in either extended or crew cab.
I currently own a 1995 Nissan (auto), 1997 Nissan (manual), and a 2003 Toyota Doublecab (auto). The Nissans been great to me. I have 55,000 miles on the 1995 and 148,000 miles on the 1997, and have never experienced any problems what so ever. I was going to buy a 2003 Nissan, but their service were really awful. I visited two local dealerships and they were about the same. Their customer service drove me toward Toyota.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

I traded in my '98 Nissan Frontier for my '99 Taco, but it was purely because I wanted a 4X4 and I don't think any 4X4 is as nice as a Toyota, I've always loved them. If you are getting a 4x2 I would go with the Nissan based on looks alone. I just can't get used to the 4x2 Taco's unless you go the Prerunner route which is a really nice truck. But this is something you are going to have to decide for yourself b/c in the end you are the one who is going to have to drive whichever truck you get. Have fun shopping and enjoy your new ride
Old 07-22-2003, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

I have owned:

1 Mazda
2 Toyota's
2 Honda's
1 Nissan

By far, the Nissan was the most troublesome.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Christian:
Maybe you got a Monday car?
The Parking dept. here at UCSD up to last year had Nissan pickups as their vehicles. Pretty good longevity considering the abuse they probably got as communal vehicles.

Anyhow... this is our driveway when my roommate and I are home

As you can see even with this terrible quality, the rig on the right is infinitely better looking
Old 07-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude

Anyhow... this is our driveway when my roommate and I are home

As you can see even with this terrible quality, the rig on the right is infinitely better looking
I agree. That's a hot ride
Old 07-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Aww, thanks Rayday81

Jade (my truck) and I thank you
Old 07-22-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what Nissan board did you post this question on hmm

A while back when someone asked on the Nissan board why a Nissan and not something else most guys with Pathfinders said the 4Runner was slightly more expensive and the same with the Frontier guys, it was cheaper than a Tacoma, but almost all of them said they would have got the Toy if not for the extra change

I had 2 Pathfinders a 96 and a 2000 both where great but Toy is better