Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sway-Bar Quick Disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 06:56 AM
JD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris

I'll get that for ya tomorrow as its 12pm here and not the ideal time to be jacking up a wheel to get some measurements.

JD
Old 11-23-2003, 07:36 AM

That's cool! I'm more interested in the front's since I don't run one in the rear anymore. What do you have planned for the fronts?

Chris
Old 11-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

And if you are really lazy, get an electric one.
Attached Thumbnails Sway-Bar Quick Disconnects-swaybardisconnect.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 01:13 PM
CTB

Originally posted by Cebby
I finally tackled the front discos on mine - from Lee!!

Here's a pic:

Alright, I guess it's finally time for me to throw mine on too! I will be doing it over Christmas break. How did the install go Cebby? Anyway, thanks for the motivation...
Old 11-23-2003, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CTB
Alright, I guess it's finally time for me to throw mine on too! I will be doing it over Christmas break. How did the install go Cebby? Anyway, thanks for the motivation...
I still don't have the rears done. The front was a PIA for me. All of my fasteners were seized with corrosion. I couldn't even break them loose with an impact wrench. PB Blastered for weeks and weeks prior too. I had to cut the end links from the control arms with a sawzall, remove the sway bar and put it on the bench to cut the links from the swap bar. I thought compressing the end link bushings and finding the detent on the new end link would be the hardest part. Turned out it was the easiest part. I plan to wrap up the rears one evening this week - they look easier than the fronts - even if I have to cut everything off!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
You only need to loosen the nut enough to be able to pull the pin..

PS, here is my design..

Once tested and I am satisfied with them, I will be offering these for sale.. I have had a few people who want them..

The design is very easy to make and if you want a couple tips, let me know..
would these work on a 2000 3rd Gen?? if so and if you were serious about selling I'd be interested in buying some..
Old 11-24-2003, 01:41 AM

Just so everyone knows, I've tried Lee's discos on the rear of my 3rd generation, and they WILL NOT work unless you plan to relocate the gas tank bracket. The problem happens when the driver's side tire is stuffed, the heim connected to the swaybar slides upward making contact and then bends past the gas tank bracket, resulting is a badly mangled heim that would break after more than one trip in the woods.

It's a great idea, and works really well except for that problem on the 3rd gens.

Chris
Old 11-24-2003, 02:40 AM
JD

Chris

Hmmm I must have measured wrong before

Both drop and compression are actually the same, 1 1/2".

I hope to use the same setup on the front but it will require considerable re engineering for clearance etc and probably a custom made swaybar to match.

Found this pic of an install test I did re RH wheel compression when I also got to fitting my Detroit Electrac. 32" tire and the LH wheel is at full shock extension with RH shock topped out.

JD

Last edited by JD; 11-24-2003 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Dang John.. That is one hell of a sway bar set up you have going ont here!! Leave it to you to design it like that.. Any new pages up on the status of your truck yet?? Last I remember you had just gotten that tranny in..
Old 11-28-2003, 06:23 AM

On a 3rd gen 4runner, the stock rear swaybar will allow for full movement of the rear axle, but with longer than stock shocks(OME), you run the very high possibility that you're going to bend the swaybar.

If you are running the addco rear swaybar, you need much more movement than 1.5" to allow full movement of the rear axle, so this automatic system will not work. Lee's design is a great one, but requires modification to the gas tank bracket if someone plans to use it on a 3rd gen, because when that whell is stuffed, it will hit and go past the bracket, totally ruining the bolt on the back of the heim.

So, as a result of testing Lee's design on my 3rd gen and deciding not to mess with the gas tank bracket, I decide to remove the rear swaybar all-together, which for off-road use is by far the best setup for maximum travel. But, with it now removed, I have to fix the problem of my driveshaft hitting my gas tank skid.

Chris
Old 12-02-2003, 06:35 AM
JD

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
......Any new pages up on the status of your truck yet?? Last I remember you had just gotten that tranny in..
G’Day Lee, how ya been.

You’re right there have been a lot of changes that I need to add to my page and one day I will get to it, LOL.

Besides the roof console dual shock set up and the rear swaybar disconnect other major changes include

Replaced front Truetrac with an ARB locker
Replaced rear Truetrac with an Electrac
Fitted GT40x alloy heads and custom headers

At the moment I am working on fabricating a new upper manifold to my same design as my current unit, but to suit a GT40 lower manifold that I just received from the US.

The alloy heads and headers work so well and besides increasing hp my fuel economy is great so I want to now try the better GT40 lower manifold.

Hopefully, other planned projects for 2004 include fitting electric disconnects to the front, rear disc brakes, fabricating a portable battery charger set up, a new camping set up, underbody water tank and there’s sure to be others, LOL.

JD
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt
You only need to loosen the nut enough to be able to pull the pin..

PS, here is my design..

Once tested and I am satisfied with them, I will be offering these for sale.. I have had a few people who want them..

The design is very easy to make and if you want a couple tips, let me know..
Where did you get those eye bolts?? And what are they called?? I have every part but can't find an eyebolt/balljoint at any tractor supply or hardware stores

Last edited by UN-Limited; 12-18-2012 at 04:35 PM.