95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suspension lift on a Tacoma - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension lift on a Tacoma - HELP!

Hi all!

I'm still kind of new to this forum - lurked for just a little while. Now I know that I don't have a Runner like the majority of you folk but I figure my Tacoma is still pretty close to 3rd gens.

I have a 02 Tacoma Double Cab V6 Prerunner 2 WD and was thinking about a lift. I've done a little researching through the threads and have seen a variety of opinions but almost all say a suspension lift would be best.

So here are my questions:

What would be the best manufacturer to look at? I don't do that much off-roading but I'm not too kind to speedbumps, curbs, and little rice rockets
Is this something Daystar would be fit for?

Is this something I'd be able to do with a jack and normal tools? Or would this be something that I REALLY should take to get professionally taken care of? (I have a feeling I know what answers to expect, just thought I'd ask )

Is there anything else I should know?

Please be as specific and thorough as possible - this is the 1st truck I've owned and am still new to the lingo

Thanks for the help, I REALLY appreciate it!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome aboard!

Cheapest lift possible:

Spacers @ http://www.cornfedsuspension.com and some leafs, you can even add some shocks (bilsteins).

Other routes possible:

OME fronts w/ aal's (add a leaf's)
Downey fronts w/ aal's

Regardless of what you get your rear's are aal's.

Using both spacers and replacing shocks and coil will require a spring compressor (can be rented at autozone - i think). Hand tools should be fine but if you've never done it before, just post up where you live and maybe other members here might be able to help ya just offer some grub and ppl will come!

Another option, try hitting ttora (tacomaterritory.com) as they'll be able to help ya out w/ all the options out there!

good luck

Lance
Old 03-24-2003, 10:41 AM

Company called "Fab-Tech" also does 2wd lift kits...Not sure what they entail....but check'em out....
Old 03-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

So...
spacers and and some leafs... that's it?

I have 16 in. rims with stock tires on them. Should I consider getting larger tires too?

I'm in San Diego but I'm thinking of getting the work done at a place called Off Road Warehouse. They're really nice people out there and I want to give them the business.

Any SD people who might have any feedback?

Thanks guys, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info
Old 03-24-2003, 01:24 PM

i got my first lift from off road warehouse. they are nice people there. you can save a lot of money doing the install yourself. its really not that difficult. if you get a replacement coilover for the front it should only take 1 hr to lift the front max. i dunno bout the rear cause i dont have leafs but im sure its not that hard. like lance said, if you feed them, they will come! sorry im jsut hungry right now.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

ALee -
My girlfriend is out there in Irvine, I may just have to take a look at your rig sometime
Old 03-24-2003, 02:04 PM

just look for the 4runner with a clanking exhaust and saggin bumper:pat: hit me up if your down here. if you want we can install your suspension at my pad. i actually have a set of tacoma fabtech coilovers for sale and the guy thats buying them hasnt contacted me in a while so if that falls through...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

ooh... yeah!
Wait. What's a coilover? :pat:

so can anyone tell me if a lift significantly messes with MPG?

If you don't mind me askin' ALee, how much you end up shelling out?

Again, thanks fellas... I appreciate all the help!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

coilover is: a combination of shock and coil assembly where you can adjust the height of the vehicle by compressing the coil.

a plain shock and coil does not have that option but if you get a coilover assembly, the shock has screwlike device that can compress the coil thus giving you more height.

best way is to look at a pic of a coilover

Hope this helps

Lance
Old 03-26-2003, 02:24 PM

question for alee

was the lift from fab-tech for the pre-runner stiff? The lift they have for the 5-lug 2wd's is really stiff, you feel every bump in the road. just curious.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:53 PM

MPG

A lift shouldn't affect your MPG in any significant way. Changing to a different tire size will.

If you're not looking to do a lot of offroading, the decision to bump up your tire size is based on your taste. Whatever you add to your suspension in the form of a lift = how much additional wheelgap you'll be adding. The solution: buy bigger rubber to fill the void.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
ooh... yeah!
Wait. What's a coilover? :pat:

so can anyone tell me if a lift significantly messes with MPG?

If you don't mind me askin' ALee, how much you end up shelling out?

Again, thanks fellas... I appreciate all the help!
i dont think 3" of lift really effects the mileage all that much but i did get worse gas mileage after another 3" body because even more of the tires were showing so more wind resistance. i got the kings for 820 from outlaw offroad, its a shop in lake forest that i frequent. as for the rear it doesnt really apply for you cause you have different suspension but i hear its cheap to lift the rear of tacomas.

2wheelers- the fabtech lift wasnt all that stiff when it was at 2.5 inches of lift but later on i maxed it out for a little and it was hella stiff, but then again i was at 4" of lift!