Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stock Stereo Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only when the ignition is on. Since the fuse box does not get power unless the key is turned.

Tencast--
Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 AM

Re: remote turn on

Originally posted by tank_bmb

Didnt look long, but this is pretty small, it is only 50 x 4 though. (9-7/8" x 9" x 1-7/8")

Audiobahn 4004T

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Somebody else will have to tell you wether or not it is good though.

looks like the audiobahn amp would be a good fit for what I am trying to do. I did some digging around online last night, and got sounddomain price match another vendor and beat it by 5% for a final price of 170$ or so. I am not sure how good are audiobahn amps thou, I think they sell it at Wal-mart. I can't believe I am wasting some much time to get a small together, and how my priority has changed in a stereo system after you have a gf/fiance. I used to have a false floor in my 97 4runner, with 3 JL audio 10w6s, Mcintosh MC431 amp, Eclipse head unit, the whole 9 yard. But it just took up too much usable space. OK enough rambling...

rich
Old 07-08-2003, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: remote turn on

Originally posted by richardyc
looks like the audiobahn amp would be a good fit for what I am trying to do. I did some digging around online last night, and got sounddomain price match another vendor and beat it by 5% for a final price of 170$ or so. I am not sure how good are audiobahn amps thou, I think they sell it at Wal-mart. I can't believe I am wasting some much time to get a small together, and how my priority has changed in a stereo system after you have a gf/fiance. I used to have a false floor in my 97 4runner, with 3 JL audio 10w6s, Mcintosh MC431 amp, Eclipse head unit, the whole 9 yard. But it just took up too much usable space. OK enough rambling...
rich
AudioBahn at Walmart? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Lightening? Walmart sells Lightening.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:58 PM

another small amp

Here is another small amp...

Blaupunkt PA4100 (4 x 100 RMS)
10x9x2.6 (with housing)
9x7.5x1.8 (w/o housing)

On the good side its small and 100 watts x 4. On the bad side its a Blaupunkt and I just tried a PA2100 and it screwed up my FM reception. Maybe I had gotten a bad one though. - wish it would have worked though because it was tiny (8"x7.5") and supposedly put out 300 watts bridged.

I agree on the Walmart thing - Ive seen Lightning there, but no Audiobahn.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:43 PM

audiobahn makes some awesome stuff. I have an 800 watt audiobahn amp in my trunk right now, and i'm on my way to match them with some dual 12" audiobahn subwoofers. I have also purchased audiobahn 5 1/4 component speakers, which i will install once i get another audiobahn amp

seriously though, audiobahn is amazing stuff, and it looks incredible as well. You can find their stuff on ebay for pretty cheap. Take it from me, i'm unemployed, and i'm still getting their stuff. However, i am selling a lot of stuff on ebay as well, so that i can fund this audio project. I'm actually selling my paintball gun and tank on ebay, so i can get some PP springs and some bilstiens

I promise i'll post pictures when everything's done!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:55 PM

Re: Re: Stock Stereo Question?

Originally posted by Ben(Miami)
You know, I've been wondering about the same thing for some time now. I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of getting the PREAMP signal from the stock headunit to wire in an aftermarket amplifier for subs, speakers, etc.? I haven't seen this issue addressed yet. I would think that the preamp signal from the headunit would be cleaner than the amplified signal, AND, it seems idiotic to take an amplified signal, bring it back down to preamp levels only to input it into an aftermarket amp to amplify the signal again. If anyone has any insight to this I'd appreciate it. Specifically, which wires from the headunit (not the factory amp) to tap for RCA/preamp level outputs?

Regards,
Ben(Miami)
'02 Limited 4X2
I'm new in the forum and the search buttom works real good, but I'm still looking for the answer of "Ben(Miami)"
Can anyone please answer that question?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:25 PM

You can also find Audiobahn at JustAudiobahn - http://www.justaudiobahn.com/ - unlike the name they sell other brands too, but mostly Audiobahn. I run Audiobahn 4" component set powered by an Alpine unt put the tweeters in the kick panels, and the crossovers behind the lower center trim panel. Thing has the clearest sound of any speaker set I have tried.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:16 PM

I am also trying to figure out which wires are the pre-amp signals from the head unit. I think I'm getting a HU. The DVD/TV combo ones look pretty cool.

Unless you hack up the wire insulation (no biggie), you don't have much room for the splicing (vampire leads).

For the remote amp enable signal, it can be from the cigarette lighter or any signal that is an accessory (or aux) based power (it's the first click after you turn the ignition key). It's not on all the time, only when the key is in the ignition and turned to acc.

The remote signal draws very little amperage. It's just a flag to let the amp know that it can turn on.

Just make sure you have nice fat ground straps and decent gauge wire for power.

J