Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stock 98 in the sand

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock 98 in the sand

I Just took the 4runner out in the sand north of Corolla in the Outer Banks. We drove up to Corova, and all around the sand roads between the ocean and the sound. To get to Corova, you drive 10 miles up the beach... its really an awesome drive, complete with wild horses, beautiful sights, and, as the tide comes in, increasingly difficult "roads." Well, moral of the story, the 4 Runner did great in the sand. We went through some of the softest stuff I have ever been in with little trouble. Sure, I crested a few hills at under a mile per hour in 4 low with the pedal to the floor (glad I got the manual V6), but I got over them... We even pulled three less fortunate beach goers out of the soft stuff, all the while not getting stuck ourselves.

With highway tires (265/70/16) aired down to 18 psi, my bone stock 98 4 Runner was much more competent than I ever expected it to be in deep soft sand. It didn't let us down, and even when coming to a complete stop in the real soft stuff (thats what happens when you are behind a tool in an X5 who tries to go offroad then gets stuck 1/4 mile down the beach) I was able to work the wheel and get out without any trouble. This is one tough truck.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice! I've always wanted to go to the outer banks, the surf there gets real good.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Nice! I've always wanted to go to the outer banks, the surf there gets real good.
I spent most of my summers in the outer banks back in high school and college.... the surf does get nice before a hurricane rolls in. It was small this weekend, although Corova had some nice breaks... I didn't have my board though.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM

Way to go! Soft sand is a different animal but when you drive it right a stock vehicle can handle it very well.

When I go to the dunes I almost always end up pulling out other people. Kinda cool to do it in a mostly stock vehicle. Something satisfying about it.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 AM

I know what you mean, I took my 4Runner to the outer banks for the first time last summer and it really tore the sand up!! Inevitably I always see at least one passenger car trying to make its way onto the driving beach, which always provides a good laugh.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 AM

Miss that the most from growing up in NC. Good memories. Glad you had fun.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having a hard time seeing the pictures......can you try re-posting them?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by kmcaprice14
I Just took the 4runner out in the sand north of Corolla in the Outer Banks. We drove up to Corova, and all around the sand roads between the ocean and the sound. To get to Corova, you drive 10 miles up the beach... its really an awesome drive, complete with wild horses, beautiful sights, and, as the tide comes in, increasingly difficult "roads." Well, moral of the story, the 4 Runner did great in the sand. We went through some of the softest stuff I have ever been in with little trouble. Sure, I crested a few hills at under a mile per hour in 4 low with the pedal to the floor (glad I got the manual V6), but I got over them... We even pulled three less fortunate beach goers out of the soft stuff, all the while not getting stuck ourselves.

With highway tires (265/70/16) aired down to 18 psi, my bone stock 98 4 Runner was much more competent than I ever expected it to be in deep soft sand. It didn't let us down, and even when coming to a complete stop in the real soft stuff (thats what happens when you are behind a tool in an X5 who tries to go offroad then gets stuck 1/4 mile down the beach) I was able to work the wheel and get out without any trouble. This is one tough truck.
Sounds good!! I was there the same weekend..perfect weather. Saturday I was on the beach out in south nags near oregon inlet. Only saw a FJ60 out there, no T4R's
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 AM

i fish on the outerbanks once or twice a year.. what a wonderful place.. now the tree huggers are trying to close the beach down for drivers.. that sucks! they claim we run over turtles and birds.. i dont know about you guys, i have seen those large turtles, why would i run over them?? also i have seen those rare birds and going 15pmh on sand leaves the bird plenty of time to fly off. if the dont fly off well then we get into darwinism

btw, if some jerk off is infront of you and stops or slows down on soft sand, lay on thehorn and wave your hands telling them to keep moving.. thats some hard stuff to get out of.

Last edited by mkgarrison5; 05-01-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
i fish on the outerbanks once or twice a year.. what a wonderful place.. now the tree huggers are trying to close the beach down for drivers.. that sucks! they claim we run over turtles and birds.. i dont know about you guys, i have seen those large turtles, why would i run over them?? also i have seen those rare birds and going 15pmh on sand leaves the bird plenty of time to fly off. if the dont fly off well then we get into darwinism

btw, if some jerk off is infront of you and stops or slows down on soft sand, lay on thehorn and wave your hands telling them to keep moving.. thats some hard stuff to get out of.
Yeah, they have a similar problem up near Corova. People, for whatever reason, have been shooting the wild horses from their trucks. It really is disgusting what people do. Not only is it just senseless, but it ruins a really unique experience for the rest of us.

I have been down to the sand in south nags head (by Bonner bridge) plenty of times, but haven't taken this 4 runner out there yet. Maybe next time. In that sand you MUST keep moving.