Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stereo speakers to moniter C.B......??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stereo speakers to moniter C.B......??

I tried this question in the Audio,Stereo forum with no luck. Lots of hits, but no ideas. I'll give it a try here.....

I want to use my Front stereo speakers as auxiliary speakers for my in dash C.B. radio.(they are just the old stockers)
I'm no electrician, but I'm pretty sure I can run all the Positive leads through a 6 pin rocker switch and clump all the Negitive leads togeather.
My goal is to be able to turn on my C.B., hit the rocker switch, moniter the C.B. from the front speakers and still be able to have the stereo on in the back speakers.
Has anybody done this?
Anybody think this would work? Does this make sense?
I don't want to try to find a place for an external auxiliary speaker. I want to keep the install as clean as possible.
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=3850

Last edited by Lt. Dan; 09-08-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:35 AM

Yep, can be done. Make sure you have an external out on your CB or you will have to go in the CB and jump from internal speaker. Works better if you have an external output.
Get a DPDT switch from Radio Shack and tie the +'s and -'s to one set of contacts from CB and the +'s and -'s from the stereo to the other. Of course run the wires from the common on the switch to the speakers.This will switch the speakers from stereo to CB. Works great I already did the same thing.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Cool

\m/ Cool!! \m/ Thanx Buki, I thought so. My C.B. does have a aux. out speaker jack .

Good Times!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:37 AM

Go ahead and get a mini plug and attach two wires to it. Obivously, the outside is - and the center is +. You should be able to get this at Radio shack also.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

thats a great idea, if ya could do a wite-up with pics,
Old 09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

A thought for you... some amps don't like feeding into nothing. When you disconnect the stereo so the CB can feed through the front speakers, your stereo will now be feeding juice to an open line. Have you considered adding some sort of "dummy load" to the circuit so that the amp won't be feeding nothing? You might be able to eliminate the need for this by adjusting the fader to the full back position when the CB is on, to minimize the feed to what the stereo thinks is the front speakers.

Just a thought. I smoked an amp by feeding an open circuit
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 AM

Watrd,You're right you would have to put a dummy load in there for an amp. I ran off the HU and later added a set of components in the doors. I never did have any problem running off the HU though maybe not enough power to worry about. I will have to think about how to impedance match to a amp w/o creating a fire hazard.
Anyone else chime in if they have an answer.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

"Just a thought. I smoked an amp by feeding an open circuit "

That sux Rob. Well I'm not useing an amp. I don't think my 3 year old Kenwood HU will fry. I have the fader adjusted to 70% rear caus' the front speakers are so crappy anyway.
I don't have a digital camera....Yet....but I'll keep Ya'll posted on how it works.
I attached a lame drawing of how I'm gonna run the wires to the first post, if ya'll wanna take a look...and thanks!

Last edited by Lt. Dan; 09-08-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Cool. I just wanted to throw it out there as a caution based upon an unpleasant experience I had.

I saw your drawing and I would do it differently. I would use a switch that allowed me to switch back and forth without combining the grounds, but that is just me. I am big on isolating circuits if there is any chance of voltage feeding back up a line. I could be concerned about the potential of the stereo taking the CB out or verse visa, but I can't say your way won't work.

Post back when you get it done and have run it for a while and let us know how it works
Old 09-08-2004, 02:44 PM

Didn't notice the wiring diagram before.
Lt. Dan u might want to run speaker wires in series to the switch first. Might not get as much volume since 2x the impedance. I ran mine in parallel and have no problems.(12 years.) Can't say exactly if it will work for you. and I didn't run the grounds together either.
Check diagram:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/wiring%20diagrams.htm
Old 09-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Buki
Didn't notice the wiring diagram before.
Lt. Dan u might want to run speaker wires in series to the switch first. Might not get as much volume since 2x the impedance. I ran mine in parallel and have no problems.(12 years.) Can't say exactly if it will work for you. and I didn't run the grounds together either.
Check diagram:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/wiring%20diagrams.htm
How about using one of those cell phone adapters?
I have one that was built for the german standard radios that you plug in between the deck and the speakers and when the cell phone is in use the little relays switch the speakers to the phone use (same pricipal as what you are thinking but they cost about $55. I switched the plugs from the german standard to toyota and pluged it in.
David
Old 09-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Cool

Originally Posted by david in germany
How about using one of those cell phone adapters?
I have one that was built for the german standard radios that you plug in between the deck and the speakers and when the cell phone is in use the little relays switch the speakers to the phone use (same pricipal as what you are thinking but they cost about $55. I switched the plugs from the german standard to toyota and pluged it in.
David
Hmmm....Where would I get this adapter of which You speak??
Sounds cool David, a little expensive, but cool none the less.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
Hmmm....Where would I get this adapter of which You speak??
Sounds cool David, a little expensive, but cool none the less.
I can get an exact price if you like. I can get them at the electronic store down the street.
David

I will try to get a picture of the harness I have and have modified. If you are an electro wiz I can also take some pics of the circit board (Basicly 3-4 mini relays mounted on a board)
David
Old 09-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Cool

I just need a brand name, web site, or catalog part number. Assumeing its even available in the U.S.. If its not, then yes, if You would'nt mind, please do get a price and I'll pay to have it shipped over.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
I just need a brand name, web site, or catalog part number. Assumeing its even available in the U.S.. If its not, then yes, if You would'nt mind, please do get a price and I'll pay to have it shipped over.
sad news....
I priced them.. they are up in price since I got mine..... after conversion to dollars they run about $100.
if they had been that expensive before.... there is no way in he// I would have bought one for myself!
David
I will try to disect the one I have to figure out how to wire the relays to make one yourself. (partsexpress.com has relays for $.95 each normaly)
maby I can creat a DIYS page for doing it.
David
PS sorry about the wait!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:"I will try to disect the one I have to figure out how to wire the relays to make one yourself. (partsexpress.com has relays for $.95 each normaly)
maby I can creat a DIYS page for doing it."

Well don't break it on MY account...... Thanks for checking anyway, But I think I'll pass. But definitely do a write up if you can figure out the relays.
I think I'm just gonna try the switch.
Thanks Dave!!