Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stereo options: aux input or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo options: aux input or aftermarket?

I'm tired of listening to Sirius through an FM modulator so I've been looking into auxilary input adapters that plug into the CD changer port (USA Spec, PIE, etc.) but they're expensive. For a little more I could probably buy an aftermarket unit but I'm worried that I'd be more prone to theft. I'm torn between these two options, any suggestions?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
pretty sure all aftermarket hu has a removable face plate
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had aftermarket head units in every vehicle i've ever owned. (In the process of installing one in the 4Runner) and i've never had one stolen. Here's why, get a radio with a removable face plate. When you leave your car, take the faceplate off and hide it in the center console or wherever you choose, that way when a thief comes to look for a radio he/she will just see a faceplateless radio. I actually had a friend who took an old crappy radio faceplate off an old radio and would tape that on the good radio when he left his car. Needless to say his never got stolen.

Just some food for thought.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put adapters on the backs of my Alpine HU's in the changer ports (three cars) for like $20-$25 each. I use it for MP3 player but my son uses his for Sirius in his Hyundai Accent. You can't CONTROL from the HU, but you get the quality cable-connected sound. Why so expensive for you--what HU? (There were at least 4 different factory units.)

Take a look at this awesome site and see what you find for just adding auxiliary input--I highly recommend these guys. http://www.installer.com/main.php?page=aux

EDIT: I took a look. Your're right. The factory unit adapter is $69.95 even from my source. I think I'd rather trade up than invest that in a nine-year old HU.

Last edited by TheDurk; 11-30-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Here's why, get a radio with a removable face plate. When you leave your car, take the faceplate off and hide it in the center console or wherever you choose, that way when a thief comes to look for a radio he/she will just see a faceplateless radio.
Removable faceplates seem to be the best deterrent, but of course there's always that one time you forget to remove it...

Originally Posted by TheDurk
I put adapters on the backs of my Alpine HU's in the changer ports (three cars) for like $20-$25 each. I use it for MP3 player but my son uses his for Sirius in his Hyundai Accent. You can't CONTROL from the HU, but you get the quality cable-connected sound. Why so expensive for you--what HU? (There were at least 4 different factory units.)

Take a look at this awesome site and see what you find for just adding auxiliary input--I highly recommend these guys. http://www.installer.com/main.php?page=aux

EDIT: I took a look. Your're right. The factory unit adapter is $69.95 even from my source. I think I'd rather trade up than invest that in a nine-year old HU.
True, even for a yota, the CD player probably won't outlast the 3.4L

Plus, with these aux adapters you still have to buy the RCA to mini-jack cable which is another $10-$20 on top of the $60-$80 you're spending already. For another $100-$200 I could have a nice a setup. I'm just worried about the increased potential for someone to break my window when they see a fancy aftermarket instead of the stock headunit.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM

Another option is the FM Direct and its not very expensive either (~$25). You plug you truck's antenna into it and it into the headunit. When you XM radio is on, it "overrides" the over the air signal for the channel you choose (say 104.7). That way only 104.7 is the only channel blocked by the XM radio. It only works up to a certain point (FCC defined) where the actual over the air signal will start creeping in. However, this works much better than the traditional FM Modulator. So better than a traditional FM Modulator, not as good as A/V inputs.

Oh and I live in the Baltimore/DC area and using the traditional FM Modulator setup around here is a lost cause (too many radio stations). I tried it with my iPod and was not impressed.

The kit I purchased from Crutchfield actually came with a cigarette lighter plug that can be hardwired behind the dashboard. So bonus there.

Chris

Last edited by Smokey; 12-03-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 AM

The stock stereo is so crappy (assuming mine wasn't abnormally bad thus skewing my opinion), just get a relatively cheap aftermarket and don't worry about it. I have had a nice looking Pioneer Premier in my car first, and now my 4runner for about 4 years and never had a problem. I remove the faceplate if I park in a sketchy area.

The aftermarket stereo is such a big improvement over the stock one. The sound quality is totally worth it. Even with stock speakers I noticed a huge difference (and not just the massive skipping problem my stock stereo had with CD's)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:12 PM
WJC

Ditto Nelsonmd ... enjoying my Premier DEH-P710BT for a year now. Excellent sound (with the amps of course) and Sirius/iPod/iPhone all work well, np probs.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 PM

I would just pick up a cheaper cd player with aux input. You can get one for like 100-125. I bought an open box JVC a while back for like 90 bucks for a quick fix to listen to my ipod through the aux. Also has a sub/rear out for my sound system. For it being a lower end cd player, I've never had one problem with it. I then found this nifty wireless module that plugs into the ipod and has a remote to control it (also has a steering wheel mount for the little remote). So I just tuck my ipod away in the slot under the cd player. I use the aux more than anything though. I listen to pandora with my iphone through the aux often.

As far as theft.. I'm pretty sure this day and age most cd players have detachable face plates. Hell, i've seen these dbl-din dvd/navi players with 7" screens that detach. Times have changed, I been meaning to upgrade myself

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey
Another option is the FM Direct and its not very expensive either (~$25).
Those are nice, but again, it's still "radio" quality sound.

Originally Posted by JWaldz
..Hell, i've seen these dbl-din dvd/navi players with 7" screens that detach. Times have changed, I been meaning to upgrade myself
Double DIN is a great option indeed, they seem to fit nicely in the 3rd gen dash.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by okie81
Those are nice, but again, it's still "radio" quality sound.

Double DIN is a great option indeed, they seem to fit nicely in the 3rd gen dash.
Its satellite radio....good luck with it being "cinema" quality sound through an AUX port. Too much compression........
Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I've got a Kenwood HD-545U paired with the Sirius tuner and I get pretty dang good sound quality when I'm listening to it.

Though, if I had to do it over again I would have gone with a double din touch screen unit.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
jrm

Ive done some research

I'm tired of listening to Sirius through an FM modulator so I've been looking into auxilary input adapters that plug into the CD changer port (USA Spec, PIE, etc.) but they're expensive. For a little more I could probably buy an aftermarket unit but I'm worried that I'd be more prone to theft. I'm torn between these two options, any suggestions?
and it looks as though the double din replacement radios are a way to go. i used crutchfields vehicle search queue and found a few nice double din HUs that are no more then $200 if all your looking to do is upgrade the OE radio and have more plugins. One thing have noticed is that SW/Amp out plugs will cost a bit more. Also from what ive read is that the installs are super easy to boot.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey
Its satellite radio....good luck with it being "cinema" quality sound through an AUX port. Too much compression........
Can you elaborate? My parents have factory Sirius in their truck and it's crystal clear so I'm hoping I can get comparable quality from an aux input (or at least better than the direct FM adapter I have now). Unless there's something i'm missing here.

Originally Posted by scuba
I've got a Kenwood HD-545U paired with the Sirius tuner and I get pretty dang good sound quality when I'm listening to it.
So you've got the external setup right?
I have a starmate 4:

BTW, something wrong with this picture?

Originally Posted by jrm
... One thing have noticed is that SW/Amp out plugs will cost a bit more. Also from what ive read is that the installs are super easy to boot.
That's what I've seen as well. They have special ipod input plugs but they're pricey too; might as well just get a universal mini jack input cable.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 PM

I've had my eye on the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD for quite some time now, but I always hold back on buying it. It can be had for anywhere from 300-400 and it's probably the most stable and best 7" touchscreen head unit you can buy for the price. Only thing is, no detachable face. You proably will have to spend a good amount of money on a dbl-din to get that option. I wouldn't be worried, that's why you have an insurance company. You pay for them, so might as well use their services.

One thing I can tell you, I use to be a car electronics tech/installer for circuit city before they shut down and the prices of head units (single and dbl) have gone down. The new technology in some of the head units are indeed state of the art, but you do pay for it. As far as your basic or even more intermediate cd players, for what they offer these days, you can't argue with the price tags. It's cheap compared to back in the day when the first mp3 format was included with a cd deck and you paid a leg and arm for it.

Happy Hunting!

btw, why you listening to Timbaland & JT on a country station?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
So you've got the external setup right?
I have a starmate 4
No. I control the Sirius through my headunit. That was a big part of my decision to buy the HU I have. I didn't want to A deal with the eyesore of an external unit or B deal with mounting it. I love the setup but just wish I had a double din unit.

Last edited by scuba; 12-07-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JWaldz
I've had my eye on the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD for quite some time now...

...btw, why you listening to Timbaland & JT on a country station?
Funny you mention that, I've had my eye on that one too. I've looked around here for info/reviews, but there's not much. It looks awesome.

That must have been a sirius glitch... or maybe country music is going in a new direction
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM

MillerPKA has the 3200 version.. It fits nice and snug I don't see why there would be any problems installing it. Hell, if you get it before I do beat me to the post and be the first to have one on here. Talking about it makes my fingers twitch and wanna push that 'purchase' button though
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Scion double-DIN swap.

Dude, I swapped a Scion takeoff stereo - can't remember the part number, but it's that Pioneer-build Scion unit. Full satellite capability, 100 watts, and I got it for $30 on Craig's. That made the sexy Scosche iPod adapter more worthwhile, so I've got everything but the tape deck.

Best yet, it's stock looking so it's not theft bait, and it plugs right in. You have to cut a little plastic, but what Taco/4Runner mod doesn't require that? I did a story about the install on off-road.com.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...ler-52701.html

STICK
Old 12-11-2010, 05:36 PM
jrm

Do you have any

pics or measuremnts of how much of the console and HU face plate you took off to get a fit. Oh and were you able to use the OE attenna jack. Ive read this tutorial using a different approach but i didnt like the results. thanks.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/audio-...pic-heavy.html

Last edited by jrm; 12-12-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Stereo options: aux input or aftermarket?