Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering extension question, body lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering extension question, body lift

Well I put my 1" body lift on a while back with no problems, a unit that came with the 1" steering extension. Today I put my 2" body lift on in place of the 1" (tire rub) and I had a heck of a time getting that stupid little steering flange to line up on the flanges for the 2" extension.

I ended up tapping it a bunch with a 1/2" drive ratchet and extension and pried the flange on the spacer but the steering is too tight now. I thought it might be, the splines just wouldn't slide on easily so I had to make due. I don't think it will damage anything being tight but I would like any input you all may have for releiving the tight steering.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by rworegon; 08-18-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm not understanding it right, but can't you just loosen the steering clamp and tighten it back up where it sits comfortably?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 AM

Well the flange part that has the splines wouldn't slide easily back up on the shaft so I had to tap on it to get it to move at all. I say tap when it was a bit harder than that. The clamp screw was completely loose so I don't know WTF was the problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Spray it all liberally with PB Blaster.

Buy a small triangle file and clean up an the splines on extension and steering shaft. All it takes is one little boogered spot to cause issues.

Takes some time but worth it when things go together like butter.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM

It came off easily but going back on was another story. I may try and locate another at the JY just in case but will pull it off and see if I need to clean up the splines some.
Thanks
Jason
Old 04-10-2010, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe a good excuse to run down and visit the wabbit's shop
Old 04-10-2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
maybe a good excuse to run down and visit the wabbit's shop
May never end up leaving if so!

I was able to move it up enough to releive the stiffness of the steering yesterday but still can't understand why it was that tough. My original plan was to pull it off and see if any of the splines were boogered up or not but we couldn't get it to budge but maybe 1/8" or so. I decided to tap it up more and apparently it was enough to make it work so I'm good for now. Still gonna look at the JY tomorrow just in case.

On another topic of the body lift, how do you adjust the auto trans cables? Getting ready to search that and what are your thoughts on the sway bars and removing them for flex?

Thanks y'all
Old 04-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
If it had to be tapped as you say, splines were boogered or gunked up. I've learned to just pull the whole unit out to put in the spacer. The thing won't go in but one way anyway. A little triangle file and some PB Blaster does wonders.

Seen it countless times...just hope you don't change again.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
if it had to be tapped as you say, splines were boogered or gunked up. I've learned to just pull the whole unit out to put in the spacer. The thing won't go in but one way anyway. A little triangle file and some pb blaster does wonders.

Seen it countless times...just hope you don't change again.

amen brother!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terminator
On another topic of the body lift, how do you adjust the auto trans cables? Getting ready to search that and what are your thoughts on the sway bars and removing them for flex?

Thanks y'all
The cables for the tranny aren't affected by the BL, so you must mean the linkage from the shifter to the tranny. You just loosen, lift, and tighten back down.

I have my front sway off because I snapped a link a while back. I really like the way it is off road. It's just a little sloppy on road though, but I'm used to it and decided to leave it off. Just an FYI, if you do remove it, you may want to look into getting some limiting straps because you could hit just the right angle and the CV can pop out (although I haven't got them for mine yet and I haven't had any problems and have wheeled a lot since I took the bar off).