Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starter Problem or Ignition Switch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Problem or Ignition Switch Problem?

On my 1999 4Runner, 3.4 V-6, 76k, I have a recent problem that has me stumped.

For about a week, when I first start the truck in the morning, and only on the first start up it would just "click" when you turned the key the first turn. On the second turn it would start up like normal. It didnt worry me at first because I just thought I wasnt turning the key far enough to engage the starter or something, but it is more than that.

Anyway, now if I start / stop the car a few times in a row the starter will "hang" and continue running, even after you remove the key from the ignition, for about 5 - 10 seconds. Its sort of freaky, you turn the key to start it and it just keeps on trying to start, even after the car is running, or it is off and key is removed. Then it will eventually stop.

I just bought a brand new battery about a month ago so that should not be the issue.

Anybody have any ideas on where to start? I thought at first it would be a bad starter. But now Im not so sure, maybe its the ignition switch? The truck is still relativlely low miles, and everything else works flawlessly, so Im stumped. I really dont want to just throw parts at the problem, so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 PM
DuB

Bumping an old thread...

I have a 97 4Runner with 180K miles with the same issues.
Click on start. Starter sometimes "hangs"
Battery is good.

Sometimes I have issues getting the key into the ignition cylinder, too. It took a bit of fiddling with the shift override, steering wheel twisting, and banging at the ignition cylinder to get it to take the key, so I'm not sure what caused it.

Some info I found while searching for fixes:
This thread says the click is the starter
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f16/...tarting-61649/

fixing worn starter
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

Replacing starter contacts w/o removing starter
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...tarter-212877/

key getting stuck in ignition
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/k...4runner-53723/

Repair Manuals
http://tacoma.site40.net/4Runner_96-...g/contents.htm

I guess I gotta replace the starter contacts and then figure out why my key won't go in.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter
  1. I first start the truck in the morning, and only on the first start up it would just "click" when you turned the key the first turn.
  2. stop the car a few times in a row the starter will "hang" and continue running, even after you remove the key from the ignition, for about 5 - 10 seconds.
Originally Posted by DuB
I have a 97 4Runner with 180K miles with the same issues. Click on start. Starter sometimes "hangs"
What does "starter hanging mean?" Turning but not engaging?
Turning and staying engaged with flywheel even when engine's already turning?

Many possibilities, but this suggests that your starter solenoid is mechanically stuck. When you attempt to start, you hear a click*. Meaning starter relay clicks but there's not enough power to actuate the solenoid plunger, OR solenoid plunger is stuck, meaning it takes more than normal energy to move it.
When you turn off ignition, "your starter hangs"? Meaning while you're running your starter stays engaged with the flywheel? WOW, that's major wear ongoing! This also supports the theory that your starter solenoid plunger is stuck- so it does not retract to normal/de-energized position in order to disengage from flywheel.

P.S.
*Need to verify (hear/feel) exactly what clicks. Circuit opening relay? Starter relay? Starter solenoid? Like telling doc exactly where it hurts

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM

A single click when you turn the key is generally the starter contacts. $20 fix plus two hours or so of work. Not a hard job. Check out this thread:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...al-thread.html

After a week or so I was unable to start the truck at all - just an FYI. Now it starts like a champ.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
starter sticking on... also is worn contact symptom

there is a lot of arcing on old contacts and it
can lightly weld the contacts closed....and starter can stay engaged until
hit with hammer or it unsticks
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Hey I got 93 4runner sr5 an it won't stay running unless key is held on start position, guy I bought it from took it to a shop an they said it was igniter and couldn't find anything on it, can anybody help out?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter

For about a week, when I first start the truck in the morning, and only on the first start up it would just "click" when you turned the key the first turn. On the second turn it would start up like normal. It didnt worry me at first because I just thought I wasnt turning the key far enough to engage the starter or something, but it is more than that.

Anyway, now if I start / stop the car a few times in a row the starter will "hang" and continue running, even after you remove the key from the ignition, for about 5 - 10 seconds. Its sort of freaky, you turn the key to start it and it just keeps on trying to start, even after the car is running, or it is off and key is removed. Then it will eventually stop.

I just bought a brand new battery about a month ago so that should not be the issue.

Anybody have any ideas on where to start? I thought at first it would be a bad starter. But now Im not so sure, maybe its the ignition switch? The truck is still relativlely low miles, and everything else works flawlessly, so Im stumped. I really dont want to just throw parts at the problem, so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
My 98 did this for the better part of a year. At first it was intermittent, then got more occuring. I would have to turn the key 4-5 times to get it to start, til finally one day it just quit doing anything. I replaced the starter. Good as new.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by So Many Roads
A single click when you turn the key is generally the starter contacts. $20 fix plus two hours or so of work. Not a hard job. Check out this thread:
Depends on what's clicking. Circuit opening relay? Starter relay? Starter solenoid?