Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

spare on roof or hitch mount tire carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spare on roof or hitch mount tire carrier?

I'm going to be getting a full size spare (33x12.5x16) and want to know where the best place to mount it is? Getting a hitch mount tire carrier is about the same cost as a roof rack.

The tire will only be with me when I go wheeling so it's not a full time solution... which one is recommended? I can't even imagine lifting the tire on and off the roof everytime but I think it would be more secure there. From what I've read, the hitch mount option seems to rattle. Again, not a big deal if it's only on there when I wheel... but the hitch mount one's also don't seem very sturdy.

Interior is not really an option as I think the smell inside the 4Runner would be pretty strong. Is it?

I don't think I can fit it under the vehicle as I have a hitch down there. I have a 3rd gen 4Runner BTW.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned fruitloop

Tire

Right now my tire is mounted in the bed but if I need space it is in the roof rack (major trail hikes). 36 by 12.50.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Over 3 years and probably 50+ outings, I've only needed a spare twice (same day, pays to wheel with other toyotas). I keep my full size spare inside. I've never been bothered by the smell of tire rubber, although, it can get a bit messy/dirty when you throw your flat inside.
If you're only taking your spare on off-road trips, either put it inside or on top. I can't imagine it would be too much hastle lifting your 60lb tire up top once or twice a month.
I don't like the idea of a hitch mounted tire carrier. It's one more thing to get caught up on a ledge or decent, and I use my my hitch and pin a lot as a tow-strap anchor point (for pulling out Jeeps).
Old 01-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Id mount to the rear...

However when I go camping I put it up on top since I don't have to screw with it all the time.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM

yeah, I actually like the way a full size spare looks on top of a roof rack, I would just never leave it up on there for fear of morons trying to steal my spare - is there a good way to lock it up there or are straps the best way to go?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Banned fruitloop

Roof tire

A thief would get a back ache taking my tire from my rack 36x12.5 on 15". I use a bit of chain and a lock through the spokes and to the rack.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
CBI Off Road has a hitch mounted one that is will take up to a 35" tire for about $275. Also has a mount for license plate and high lift jack. I just bought a used one, advantage that I like is that I can use it on both my trucks.

Very stout (pictures from CBI's website) :

Edit: A good cable lock could be used to secure a tire on your roof in addition to having straps keep it in place.

Last edited by dropzone; 01-06-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 AM

I think the hitch mount may be better. I read in some earlier posts that it is not good to have alot of weight up top when 4 wheelin. my 2 cents..
Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 AM

Is there much rattle in this one? I went to their website before but didn't see where I could order this, do I have to contact Steve directly? Does he ship to Canada? If I thought it was a pain to take off on on, what sort of security device can I get for it?

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
CBI Off Road has a hitch mounted one that is will take up to a 35" tire for about $275. Also has a mount for license plate and high lift jack. I just bought a used one, advantage that I like is that I can use it on both my trucks.

Edit: A good cable lock could be used to secure a tire on your roof in addition to having straps keep it in place.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM

I keep mine on the roof. In the year it's been there, I've only had to take it off the rack once and that was to fit the 4Runner in a garage! I don't really like having it up there, but that's where it fits for now. I would never put one inside. The smell and the space it takes up is enough of a deterrent for me.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM

If I use the hitch as my rear tire carrier, I would lose my rear recover point, I looked under the rear today and didn't see any place for tow hooks (the hitch is in the way)... anyone have suggestions where to mount rear tow hooks if a hitch is present?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:14 PM

Hey guys, I'm really looking at putting the 33x12.5 spare on the roof unless someone can tell me why the extra weight on top is not a good idea... I read about the COG being off - would the vehicle be that much more easier to roll? Any fear of crushing my roof?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM

buy a safari type rack, one i looked at was raited at 450 lbs on road and 150 lbs off road. i wouldnt put that much wieght(150) up there ever but you get the idea
Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 PM

i like rear, just for COG purposes, but it's true.. what about the terrain... it just makes your vehicle longer, and it's something else to get hung up on. No spare isn't too smart, so i suppose it's more or less a personal opinion kinda thing.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rdang
Is there much rattle in this one? I went to their website before but didn't see where I could order this, do I have to contact Steve directly? Does he ship to Canada? If I thought it was a pain to take off on on, what sort of security device can I get for it?
Name:  cbirear.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  143.4 KB
I mounted this one on my '81 Trekker today. It is the used one I got from millerPKA. I drove the truck around today with it on and there is some movement. I did not notice too much noise, but my truck is 26 years old and I have gutted the interior so all the noise pretty much blends together.

It used a standard 5/8" Hitch pin in the reciever, i used a locking pin there. The tire mounting bracket has a hole in it, I enlarged that a little bit so that I could get a paddlelock through it to secure the tire. I am not sure how long millerPKA used it, it was worn but seeing one of these in person I am very impressed with the quality, design and workmanship. It is very easy to get up and down. I have got a 33x9.50 spare mounted on it.
It did add some length to the truck but I am happy to regain my cargo area.

One thing that I am considering doing with my rear bumper is adding a second reciever over a few inches to the right of the center reciever so that I can still have the center for a reciever shackle, though I do have a shackle point on each side of the bumper.

When I first found out about CBI offroad I emailed Steve with questions about it and that seemed to be way to order. From what I remember he makes each one to order and needs some measurements for the vehicle application. Mine sticks out a little more that I would prefer, but I am sure that I ordered it directly from CBI it would have been a better fit, but I am happy with what I paid for it used. I am sure that he would be willing to ship to Canada, he is in Idaho.

Last edited by dropzone; 01-07-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 PM

hmm... tough choice, will post back in a couple week with pictures of whatever it is I decide to go with... thanks guys!