Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sonoran Steel System 3 Lift -- Info for y'all

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Sonoran Steel System 3 Lift -- Info for y'all

Hi guys - after fruitless searching here and abroad I had the following exchange with Steve at Sonoran Steel. He agreed to my posting here as an FYI:

MATT ASKS:
Hi Steve - looking at your System 3 kit for my 2001 4Runner 4x4. Had it since new. 160k now. Put Monroes on it at 90k miles and they're crap. Suspension feels beat at this point and as it's the wife's DD (for how long who knows but we'll keep it a loooong time) I'd like refresh with a better suspension, but she doesn't want to go 2+" lifted and we don't wheel.

Does the System 3 add a little lift (ie: Toyota 'long' springs - don't know what your mention of 'springs from Japan ' implies) and eliminate any sag issues? That would be a plus.

And are the Tokiko Trekmasters an upgrade from OEM shocks?

Also, any recommendations at this mileage on replacing known wear bushings (etc) to tighten up and help eliminate bump-induced body jounce?

STEVE REPLIES:
The System 3.0 kit will only lift your specific truck 1”. Barely noticeable, it will be just like every 1999 4WD sold. The 2” number is for a 2WD, not a 4WD.

Sag, they are brand new springs made in Japan , they will act like any stock Toyota spring. They could sag over time as your current springs have, but they are taller though and were made recently. What you are getting is brand new Toyota part.

Yes the trekmaster is a high end version of the stock shock.

To eliminate bump-induced body jounce use this 3.0 kit you will be that 1” taller and it will take more to bottom out. There is also a good chance that when they installed the Monroe shocks some of the top front shocks bushings were discarded and generic Monroe bushings used, if this is the case it makes matters worse. If the stock bushings were discarded you would want to order the units pre-assembled to get the new top plate or source two of them from your local dealer.

(end)
Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM

I have been using the system 3.0 for just over a year and 12k miles, and I love it. It raised my 2001 an inch, which is perfect. If you're worried about the sag issue, install a set of airbags for the rear which will help level it out when towing or carrying a heavy load, thats what I did and it works great. Here's a tip, have Steve preassemble the shocks to the springs (with the new top hats)so all you have to do is unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new ones, it saves a lot of time.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM

Preassembly for sure - thanks for that tip and for the feedback.

Please tell me more about the airbags setup - I know nothing about this but it sounds interesting as occasionally I do load up the truck and/or tow.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM

I installed an Air Lift 1000 kit when I installed the sonoran 3.0 system. It is a heavy duty polymer airbag that goes inside each rear spring that you can inflate or deflate depending on the amount of weight loaded on the truck. It basically levels the suspension so it doesn't sag or bottom out under heavy load. Since I rarely tow or have lots of weight in the back, it made more sense to use this kit rather than to use heavy duty rear springs that give a more harsh ride when not towing or hauling a lot of weight. All you have to do is use an air compressor to adjust how much PSI is in the bags for the weight of the load.

Here's a link for more info/pics
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...0A2180537.aspx
Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Thanks for that!

Quick question: did you have any discussion with SS about adding these to their System 3 kit and whether there are performance or longevity implications? I wouldn't assume any - and I'd like to be able to tow for a change *without* dragging ass - haha...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Since the 3.0 system is a basically stock setup I doubt the airbags have any bad effects on it. If anything the airbags may make the rear shocks last longer due to the airbags preventing the rear from bottoming out under heavy load. I guess the only "performance" drawback would be possibly losing some articulation in the suspension when doing some major offroading, but I think if you fully deflated the bags it wouldn't effect it.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM

we were looking for the exact same thing you are a year ago. truck is DD and never had been off road. it had 150K miles on it and needed some fresh suspension. we have been running a 3.0 set up for over a year now and love it!! it has done everything we wanted perfectly!! mostly in town driving with some off road. would love a stiffer spring set up for carrying heavy loads but will probably be upgrading to the ultimate off road suspension soon. can't ask for a better daily driver set up