Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Silencer Removal and other ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silencer Removal and other ???'s

Does anybody have any .wav files for the silencer removal - engine sound before and after? I really want to do the deck-plate mod in addition to the silencer removal, but I don't want my ride to sound like a monster truck - yes, I'm exxagerating but you get the idea. Loud is good, but annoying is not.

Also, is the 99 3.4 Taco engine the same as the 4-runner? I've read alot of the Tech stuff and I just wanted to know how much 4-runner engine stuff translates to Tacoma. I've wanted this truck since I was old enough to pronounce Toyota, so I'm just a little paranoid about working on (read adjust) it. I have an '88 CRX that I will do just about anything to, but the first time I opened the hood on my truck, I couldn't even find all the spark plugs. :confused:

I'm also looking to put a Magnaflo on the exhaust train - any sound bites on that one?

Many Thanx.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

I think the difference is the same as say, the deckplate mod and stock. Its pretty significant, and loud under WOT.

Do one mod at a time, and remember the ISR mod is easily reversible, so you can always put it back. Keep in mind, you will have to run premium gas, and we all know how much that is right now.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

The 4Runner and Taco share the same engine, but there are slight differences that rate the 4Runner HP a little lower than the Taco (183 vs 190). I have heard it has to do with ECU maps and injector size, but I am not sure.

Just do the deckplate, elbow, exhaust, and elec fans and you will be very happy.

I would compare the sound of the ISR mod under WOT to a cow "moooing" extremely loud.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

I don't hear the deckplate. Probably because the supercharger drowns it out
The deckplate mod is a helluva lot quieter than the K&N FIPK. I swear, my Bissell steam vac was quieter!
Old 03-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HaveBlue
I don't hear the deckplate. Probably because the supercharger drowns it out
The deckplate mod is a helluva lot quieter than the K&N FIPK. I swear, my Bissell steam vac was quieter!
Arent you running lean with the Deckplate and the SC?
Old 03-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

What's the deal with changing the fan? Higher rpm (on the fan)? I understand the cool air concept - is that basically what we're driving for? Is the procedure fundamentally the same as the 3.0L posted in the Tech section?
Old 03-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Biohazard
What's the deal with changing the fan? Higher rpm (on the fan)? I understand the cool air concept - is that basically what we're driving for? Is the procedure fundamentally the same as the 3.0L posted in the Tech section?
By removing the stock fan and installing electric fans, you eliminate the parasitic drag on the engine caused by the stock pulley driven fan, which weighs about 6lbs. There are more benefits:

Cleans up the engine bay
Maintains a constant CFM flow while off-roading
Only kick on when needed
No more fan roar

But most importantly, it frees up HP and throttle response is improved, especially on the freeway when no fan is needed.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

i got some movie files of the engine noise before and after the silencer mod.

EDIT: im loading them to my server now, ill post when theyre done.

Last edited by RTdawgs; 03-07-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Just a quick note on the elbow mod and deck plate mod. I'd stick with just the deck plate. Its easier to reverse (just putting plate back in essentially brings it back to stock). Also, GADGET has done dyno testing on both the deckplate and elbow, and it appears that there isn't any real advantage to doing both (one is just as good as the other, both don't gain you much more).

As far as the ISR mod requiring premium fuel, I think that's the case if you perform the full modification. On my '98, there are three things to remove, two boxes and a J-tube that hangs down. On the advice of someone else on this board (I don't remember who), I just removed the J-tube and the box closer to the airbox, and left the other silencer closer to the throttle body.
I got noticeable improvement in throttle response and HP, and was not able to induce any pinging (translation- I am still running 87 octane without any trouble). If you remove all three, it appears that premium is a must.

The ISR is also easily reversible- I went with plumbing endcaps, 3/4" outer diameter cap to plug the silencer closest to the air box, and I think 1 1/4" outer diameter cap to plug the J-tube. It doesn't involve any cutting or anything, if you don't like the noise, just put it back. For the most part, I like the sound, its not too loud, you only notice it when you really get on the gas.

Anyways, I'd recommend it, its an easy gain in HP.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

like i promised...

http://www.pmibags.com/Ryan/drz.html
Old 03-08-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at your video and time the 0-60....the mod gained you about 0.5 - 0.8 sec on the 0-60. Interesting sound. What does it sound like at idle in front of the intake?
Old 03-08-2003, 03:18 PM
Away

At idle and at low load, low throttle settings there is no difference in sound. At low throttle settings with some load on the engine, it sounds beefier than an otherwise unmodified intake.

Everyone who has done this mod will more than likely concur with what I am saying.

Hope this helps. :alien:

Dr. Z
Old 03-08-2003, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you mean you can't hear this wierd sucking sound? I have the 3.0L v6 in my '90 with just a KN air filter and you can hear a wierd metallic sliding/sucking sound if you stand in front of the intake with the hood down. This sound wasn't there when I had the normal filter. I'm wondering how it will change when i get the FIPK from KN for my 2nd gen....

the first thing Im going to be doing is getting the steering stabilizer, then the FIPK, the doing the ECT mod... Also thinking about a custom 2.5" exhaust from a local shop.

Steve
Old 03-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
At idle and at low load, low throttle settings there is no difference in sound. At low throttle settings with some load on the engine, it sounds beefier than an otherwise unmodified intake.

Everyone who has done this mod will more than likely concur with what I am saying.

Hope this helps. :alien:

Dr. Z
10-4, i conquer captain.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Away

Kewl about those mods bumpin'. The exhaust will really help make the rest of the mods tie together better.

Hey Ryan, I noticed this a long time ago and never mentioned it, because I found it so humorus. But, on your site, you describe me as "the late and the great". Does this mean I'm dead?

If so, I must have missed that memo...
Dr. Z
Old 03-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Kewl about those mods bumpin'. The exhaust will really help make the rest of the mods tie together better.

Hey Ryan, I noticed this a long time ago and never mentioned it, because I found it so humorus. But, on your site, you describe me as "the late and the great". Does this mean I'm dead?

If so, I must have missed that memo...
Dr. Z
haha. i dont know what it means actually. you just have a Hollywood name i guess.

maybe its "late" because youre new to 4Runners? i dunno :confused:

i can change if you want.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't experienced any pinging at all and I'm running 87 octane with all three silencer boxes removed.

The doc's right, unless you're pedal to the metal the sound is a pleasant (to me) raciness sound. Not unpleasant, but at WOT, it sounds pretty mean.

Doc, you never told me you expired, I guess I missed that too.

Mick
Old 03-09-2003, 07:56 AM
Away

Ryan, I don't really care if you change it or not. But, for future reference, when you refer to someone a "The Late", it means thay are dead.

Hey Mick! Long time no speak! We will have to do lunch once Tax season is over. heh

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 03-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, Galen, I'm getting to be a short-timer now with only 5 weeks left. But hey, who's counting??

Once I'm "sprung", I'll get back to playing with my TOY.

Mick