Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Shackle hanger bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Shackle hanger bushings...

My shackles finally came in from Rock Stomper, so I installed them on the hangers I picked up from Waskilly.

The roughly 13/16 (.8125) shackle pin and the 7/8 (0.875) hole in the hanger left just a tad of slop between the shackle and hanger. This allowed the shackle to rattle/vibration a bit, so I wanted to see what I could come up with to prevent this.

After searching every local hardware joint I could find (Lowes, etc), I found these at Mcmaster-Carr:

Part number 90097A560

¾" (.75) is the largest ID I could seem to find without paying to have custom washers made. With that said, you have to split one side of the washers with scissors to get it over the shackle pin. After splitting a couple open, stretch them out just a bit so they'll fit snuggly into the shackle hangers without falling out. Slide one into each side of the hanger, allowing the 'shoulder' of the washer to stick out. Slip your shackle over the shoulder of the washers, and wiggle the pin thru washers and into the hanger. Screw the shackle pin down and snug it up with a bolt or cresent wrench.

Be careful not to push the washer into the shackle hanger as you insert the pin. The opposing side washer should stay intacted since the shackle itself keeps it from being pushed out.

The nylon washer (now being used as a bushing) allows the pin the turn inside the hangers, eliminating any metal-on-metal contact. The shoulder of the bushing also eliminates any side-to-side contact between the shackle and hanger. The end result is a snug fit that elimiates the free swing of the shackle and any rattle/vibration.

I would think this would also apply to any bumper mounted hangers as well.

McMaster's service was great. I ordered these late Friday afternoon and UPS was at my door Monday morning with these in hand.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:53 AM
DSP

I have never been able to hear any rattle from my shackles up front, even though they swing freely.

I can rattle them if i kick em and let em swing when i am outside, but have never heard a peep from inside the cab. make sure you are using a 3/4 shackle...they can only swing, not bounce.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

They're ¾"... I got 'em from here
Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Gasket rubber

I just got some old rubber gaskets that we use in the shop for blinds when we hydro test a vessel and cut me some to fit the diameter of the shackle pn and not to stick out behond the top of the shackle. It is crude, but they were 1/8" thick so I just cut several and slapped them in there snug. They give enough to turn when pushed but make for a tight fit and don't swing or clank. An easy fix.

Let's see some PICS

Old 04-06-2004, 02:02 PM
DSP

Originally Posted by hillbilly
They're ¾"... I got 'em from here
Huh...
Wierd.
Maybe I'm just deaf...

But my front and my rear shackles are noiseless...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DSP
Huh...
Wierd.
Maybe I'm just deaf...
But my front and my rear shackles are noiseless...
So are mine, of course, I put some zipties on the pins to keep them from from unscrewing so maybe I go them toight enough to where they don't jingle.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
So are mine, of course, I put some zipties on the pins to keep them from from unscrewing so maybe I go them toight enough to where they don't jingle.

Zip ties will stop the rattle

I only keep one attached to my rig, that's where the winch hook rest. I have a recovery bag with all my other gear...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:26 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Here is a pic of my home-made bushing. Stops the rattle.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Zip ties will stop the rattle

I only keep one attached to my rig, that's where the winch hook rest. I have a recovery bag with all my other gear...
Mine are only for Bling-Bling so they are the chinese cheapies ($5 each at Bass Pro Shops) and I have the good quality ones in the cab if I need to use them. That way if some redneck decides he needs a pair, maybe he'll also get hurt when he tries to use them.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Yep

Originally Posted by ts1
Here is a pic of my home-made bushing. Stops the rattle.
Mine look almost just like that...great minds think alike!

EXCEPT I use a zip tie to keep the shackle pin from backing out.

IF YOU HAVE A SHACKLE ON YOUR RIG, YOU NEED TO USE A ZIP TIE TO KEEP THE SHACKLE PIN FROM WORKING IT'S WAY LOOSE AND FALLING OUT! BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!

Old 04-08-2004, 06:58 AM
DSP

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

IF YOU HAVE A SHACKLE ON YOUR RIG, YOU NEED TO USE A ZIP TIE TO KEEP THE SHACKLE PIN FROM WORKING IT'S WAY LOOSE AND FALLING OUT! BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!

I just use a 6" 1/4 bolt. It slides thru the hole in the pin and you can tighten 'em down really well...
I have never had one come loose...
But mine don't rattle either, so it looks like i'm the minority here...