Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Seeking 4Runner Buying Advice

Old 04-08-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking 4Runner Buying Advice

Hi Guys,

My wife and I have a small business and need a vehicle that we can use for light hauling (mostly large boxes). Our first inclination was to buy a used (1 to 5 year-old) Tacoma (w/ extended cab) but we have a 5 year old and the added practicality of a 4Runner would be nice too. So, now we're open to either one. We won't be going off-road with whatever we buy.

I just read some of the 4Runner history and FAQ's from this site, but I still have a few basic questions:

1) Do late-model Tacomas and 4Runners share the same chassis and running gear? Are they essentially the same vehicle underneath?

2) What's the better motor: 4 or 6 cylinder? Is one known for better durability and realiability than the other? We'll be buying an automatic so I'd prefer the added power of the 6, but the newest Consumers Reports Auto Guide gives the 6 a "negative" reliability rating while rating the 4 "excellent". What's up with that?

3) What's the best model year to buy, taking into consideration engine choices and annual changes? I've read somewhere that a '98 is the best; why would that be?

4) Are there any special problem areas I'd need to watch for when buying one?

5) Are there any other web sites with forums specifically dedicated to 4Runners and/or Tacomas that you'd recommend I check out?

Answers to these questions will go a long way in helping me find the right vehicle. Thanks for your help!

Best,

Larry
Old 04-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryM
Hi Guys,

My wife and I have a small business and need a vehicle that we can use for light hauling (mostly large boxes). Our first inclination was to buy a used (1 to 5 year-old) Tacoma (w/ extended cab) but we have a 5 year old and the added practicality of a 4Runner would be nice too. So, now we're open to either one. We won't be going off-road with whatever we buy.

I just read some of the 4Runner history and FAQ's from this site, but I still have a few basic questions:

1) Do late-model Tacomas and 4Runners share the same chassis and running gear? Are they essentially the same vehicle underneath?
The front axles are more "heavy duty on the Tacoma. The rear axle is leaf spring on the Taco and coils on the 4Runner
2) What's the better motor: 4 or 6 cylinder? Is one known for better durability and realiability than the other? We'll be buying an automatic so I'd prefer the added power of the 6, but the newest Consumers Reports Auto Guide gives the 6 a "negative" reliability rating while rating the 4 "excellent". What's up with that?
If you are looking for an older 4runner (96-02) or Tacoma (1995-2004) get the 3.4L V6. These engines are very reliable
3) What's the best model year to buy, taking into consideration engine choices and annual changes? I've read somewhere that a '98 is the best; why would that be?
The 96-01 4Runners have the rear locker, the 96-99's have the 5-speed manual as an option. I personally like the 99's the best since they changed the dash in 99
4) Are there any special problem areas I'd need to watch for when buying one?
1996-early 1997's have a head gasket recall, 1996-1998 have a recall on the rear springs.

5) Are there any other web sites with forums specifically dedicated to 4Runners and/or Tacomas that you'd recommend I check out?

Answers to these questions will go a long way in helping me find the right vehicle. Thanks for your help!

Best,

Larry
^answers above in bold