Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

S/C'ing it on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/C'ing it on Saturday

Well, I think I've finally got all the parts to install it on Saturday (2/12) I don't think it'll take more than a few hours, and a couple 12 packs of Mountain dew. Any tips for the install you guys want to give me would be greatly appreciated...

thanks a lot-
Old 02-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

It's easy, just take your time and do it right.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Upgrade the 12pk of mountain dew to 12 bottles of Hpnotik! KIDDIN good luck and take lots of pics!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

No tips. If you have any problems, you have my cell phone #.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Man! Your going to beat me!!

If only I knew that it could take as long as 5 days for an F'n personal check to clear!! arg :pat: I was planning to do mine on sat, but still waiting for the check to clear before it gets shipped :cry: I'll be close behind! I found a guy down in st. simons that has one on his taco and he's going to hopefully be able to come up and help turn some wrenches and help things go smoother (its always smoother the second time around). Good luck with your install! I'm sure you have already done this, but search for s/c install or supercharger install and get as many writeups here as you can b/c they have what is forgotten in the directions. Though it sounds like the directions are pretty good from the get go. Oh, and since you'll be standing around your truck... coughcoughgetsomepicscough!!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:26 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will say for the power stearing pump tensioner hope you have a racheting wrench or lots of patients. Also may want to get if you don't have a tap kit to clean out the rust and crap for where the bolts goes on for the SC tensioner bracket. oh don't forget get some Locetite....
But it is fairly simple just take your time...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WT
I will say for the power stearing pump tensioner hope you have a racheting wrench or lots of patients. Also may want to get if you don't have a tap kit to clean out the rust and crap for where the bolts goes on for the SC tensioner bracket. oh don't forget get some Locetite....
But it is fairly simple just take your time...
ditto. it's not that labor intensive. Remeber to start filling up with 93 octane.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, did that last couple tanks... Actually tried the octane booster/fuel cleaner and it actually helped a bit... hadn't done that in a while... I'm going to get a new air filter and fuel filter from amsiol too. I heard the fuel filter helped one guy a bit and he was N/A. We need all the fuel we can get!!

WT,
Ratcheting wrench as in socket wrenches?

How were your throttle bodies? Clean? I figure it would be a good time to clean it out if needed...?

Last edited by turboale; 02-09-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

I would clean the throttle body since it is off. it will probably have some carbom buildup. anyways
Old 02-09-2005, 06:56 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turboale
Yeah, did that last couple tanks... Actually tried the octane booster/fuel cleaner and it actually helped a bit... hadn't done that in a while... I'm going to get a new air filter and fuel filter from amsiol too. I heard the fuel filter helped one guy a bit and he was N/A. We need all the fuel we can get!!

WT,

How were your throttle bodies? Clean? I figure it would be a good time to clean it out if needed...?
Ratcheting wrench makes it easier you can do it with a regular socket wrench but its in a very tight spot and you will be turning 1/10 " at a time Probably drop it once or twice I know I did even say a few choice words...
Old 02-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

WT,
Something like this: Craftsman 8 pc. Reversible Ratcheting Wrench Set
Old 02-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks head,
Thats what I was thinking, but wasn't sure...
Old 02-09-2005, 10:53 AM

hey austin i have a pdf of the directions for the S/C, ill email or something
Old 02-09-2005, 11:39 AM

WOW, if you can install the S/C in a couple of hours, thats great. The dealer took a couple of DAYS to install mine. But then again for $360.00 I shouldn't have expected much. I had him throw in an oil change and tire rotation since the took so long. I just installed my 7th injector and that took me about 1-1/2 hours. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hamstrungtaco
hey austin i have a pdf of the directions for the S/C, ill email or something
He can download them here (TRDUSA Install Manuals) also.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the tips guys- should come in handy
Old 02-09-2005, 05:02 PM

If you have them, install your injectors at the same time.

Don't forget to label your accessory belts as to the front side and mark on the alternator tensioner where the bolt was tightened to.

The SC bolts that attach it to the plenum are torqued to 13ft/lbs.

If it's a used SC it's worth changing the nose drive oil before you put it on ($7 at a GM dealership).

Put the new plugs in while the SC and plenum are off, the rear driver's side is a PITA once you have an SC on.

Make sure you have the correct vacuum diagram for a 96, since I believe you have vacuum to your PS pump. Also make sure you have all the Ts and vacuum hose that you need, I had to run out and get some during the install.

HTH
Old 02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Troymm
WOW, if you can install the S/C in a couple of hours, thats great. The dealer took a couple of DAYS to install mine. But then again for $360.00 I shouldn't have expected much. I had him throw in an oil change and tire rotation since the took so long. I just installed my 7th injector and that took me about 1-1/2 hours. Good luck!!!!!!
Days...OMG...that is unbelievable. I would never take my truck there again, no matter how much free work I got. It is a couple hour install (2-4 hours depending on skill) At least you did the other yourself
Old 02-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

I was told that you couldn't install just the injectors...? And the stock ecu wouldn't know what to do with them...
Old 02-10-2005, 06:00 PM

I was told that you couldn't install just the injectors...? And the stock ecu wouldn't know what to do with them...

You shouldn't, but if he's planning on putting in a fuel computer and injectors now is the time to do it so he doesn't have to remove the SC later.

Quick Reply: S/C'ing it on Saturday