Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rock sliders...physics questions

Old 03-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock sliders...physics questions

I am really interested in rock sliders. I love everything about them. I like how they look, and I really like their purpose. Here are my 2 questions:

1. How much total weight do they add to the vehicle (approx)?

2. Since they bolt directly to the frame, wouldn't a side impact in a collision cause major frame damage?

I have heard stories of people having minor accidents with them on, and completely taking out the other vehicle that hit them, with no damage to their vehicle. But what about a fairly serious bump? Wouldn't the added rigidity of the slider-on-frame bend the frame when hit? Aren't most vehicles totalled that have frame damage?

I am just thinking ahead. I really want these bad boys!
Old 03-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Mine weigh in at about 70lbs each.

2. Sure, I suppose they can damage the frame more than usual, but look at the flip side. They'll probably help prevent the other car from intruding in on the passenger compartment. From this perspective they might be safer.

Steve
Old 03-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
When I had mine off to get them powder coated last October, I'd say they also weigh about 60 lb or more a piece.

I would rather have them on though and take a chance of it doing something to the frame than not.

Look at my pic here of my '90 truck.

It did not have rock sliderz, did not even know about them back then, but it did have Smittlybilt nerfs on it.

I got T boned at about 40 MPH or so and spun around 180 degrees.
The Smitt's helped to keep the drunk driver who hit me from caving in my rig anymore.
Had they not been there, more damage would have occured.

Sliderz would have saved the side a bit more, but not the damage to the back.
It was totaled.

By the way, I hardly felt the impact, and my first train of thought after it happened was to go pummle the living crap out of the other driver.

Anyway, go for a set of sliderz.
They are worth it for the extra protection.

And in case you have not seen it, we do have a sliderz round-up here.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Here is the real story on frame damage..(It may be on "Urban legdens too)

Frame damage (uni-body or convential) can be repaired to an extent.. on either type, it can be repaire to a certian extent.. then it needs to be replaced.. a full frame can be changed real easy (all in all) where a uni-body you can change uni body parts.. A uni-body is damaged in almost every accident to some extent.. but it can be repaired th easiest. It is made to do this a full frame is not made to absorb as much but still is to a point and can be repaired (given the proper equipment.. Laser based systems are the best..)

Now as for the sliders.. they may cause more Frame damage, but only because they got to the frame directly and not the body.. and you are in the body..

All in all you are safer with the sliders than without them..
Old 03-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Would the bolt-on or wielded-on sliders be better. Just curious.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That could be debatable, as I have seen that ? brought up on many a forum.

I prefer the weld on, but mine are a hybrid
They are both bolt on and weld.

The weld is actually on the frame, but I can undo 3 bolts per slider and yank 'em off.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/mod36c.jpg
Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, you really opened up a can of worms with that question

In my opinion as a mechanical engineer, strength wise, it doesn't matter.

There are other things one should be concerned with like do you want to remove them later.

Steve
Old 03-21-2003, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. Holy cow, I didnt know they weighed that much!

That's gonna slow down my 13 second 1/4 mile time...
Old 03-21-2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
That's gonna slow down my 13 second 1/4 mile time...
13 seconds??? woah, you must be runnign that new synthetic blinker fluid?!!!

Here's my opinion on the topic -

My sliders weigh about 60lbs each. Each slider is welded to the frame in 4 places. For the sake of this discussion, I'm going to define a minor accident as one that would not damage the frame on a "sliderless" rig. A major accident is one that would damage the frame on a "sliderless" rig.

If you have a set of sliders (of course I mean real, legitimate rock sliders), and you are in a minor accident, then the sliders will have no impact on the frame. They may do more damage to the other vehicle, but they won't impact the frame. I think we all agree on this part. Now, let's condsider a major accident with sliders. Since the sliders are welded/bolted to the frame in 3 or 4 places (depending on your slider), then the impact of the accident will be spread out across the lenght of the slider. Thus, the impact will also be spread out across a wider section of the frame. To me, this means that the damage to the frame would probably be less severe, but over a wider area. Make sense?

On a side note (I have no idea how accurate this is, so take it for what it's worth), I'd assume that even good sliders are slightly less durable than the frame, so the sliders will offer some resistance, and absorb some of the impact (like bumpers do) before the impact reaches the frame. So the sliders would take some of the force away from the frame.

Just my thoughts, as crazy as they may be.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Speaking of sliderz, mine just got made! Just got the call from Jeff Kelson over at Badland Toys, and have to go down and get them welded on, I can't wait! I'll hopefully have pictures soon.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That sounds good MC.

I just spoke with Jeff the other night about a bumper I saw that All Pro had made with a rear tire carrier on it.

Are you getting yours powder coated?
Can't wait to see the pics of them.
His stuff is great.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Corey,

Yes- I did get them powercoated. I ended up going with the straight weld-on types, so I won't be able to get them off very easily. I guess that'll only be an issue when I want to get the finish touched up? I'm curious to see what else he has there.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He has many mind blowing Toys to oogle at
That red flat bed he is working on is what I want for a trail rig.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
Here is the real story on frame damage..(It may be on "Urban legdens too)

Frame damage (uni-body or convential) can be repaired to an extent.. on either type, it can be repaire to a certian extent.. then it needs to be replaced.. a full frame can be changed real easy (all in all) where a uni-body you can change uni body parts.. A uni-body is damaged in almost every accident to some extent.. but it can be repaired th easiest. It is made to do this a full frame is not made to absorb as much but still is to a point and can be repaired (given the proper equipment.. Laser based systems are the best..)

Now as for the sliders.. they may cause more Frame damage, but only because they got to the frame directly and not the body.. and you are in the body..

All in all you are safer with the sliders than without them..
I agree to a point. In the event of a side impact you will be safer with the sliders. But in a front or rear impact, you may not. Basically because you are changing the structural integrity of the frame. Parts of the frame that are suppose to collapse to absorb the impact may not because there is a part now bolted or welded in place.

These are just things that I remember from my autobody/collision class way back in high school.:pat:
Old 03-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Well, got my Badland Toys rock sliders welded on the runner Friday afternoon. I was going to wait until Monday, but got too excited, so I left work early! At any rate, they look awesome, and I hope to post pictures soon! Even for my rig, which looks relatively stock at the moment, they don't seem out of place, but make it look a bit tougher. It'll certainly be tougher on the trail now. Its a great shop to wander around while they do the work, as Corey mentioned, they have a mean looking 4-runner and a flat bed pickup that are being worked on right now.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Banned

Hopefully your frame is stronger then the slider. If thats the case the slider would bend and/or break before the frame bends.

As for the weld on vs clamp on debate, on and old and potentially semi-rusted frame the ideal way to mount sliders is a clamp on type bolt on mount. Drilling into or welding onto a rusty frame would probably weaken it.