Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacement Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Catalytic Converter

Well, my check engine light is on again and I'm sure it's that stupid catalytic conveter causing it again. ToyotaParts4u.com quoted me like $800+ for a new one if I recall correctly (that was months ag). I'll drive with the light on before I pay that much. My biggest question is, can you get an aftermarket cat that is just as good as the stock one that is not "high flow?" I mean I'd like the potential benefits of the high flow cat, but I don't want to screw up the sound of my exhaust by installing a high flow cat.

Also, my 4Runner is an '01. Is there any instrumentation that I'm going to have to deal with (O2 sensors, etc) or can I simply remove the old one and install a new one?

I'm tired of this light coming on and I want to do something about it. It's not covered under warranty because of my mileage and I think I'm the one that killed it anyway by idling the truck to long numerous times while tailgating at football games. Thanks guys.

Matt
Old 06-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

A quick search on Google revealed this....

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ap...ytic+Converter

Not OEM, but I don't care as long as it works. My biggest concern is the location of the stock O2 sensors and how they are connected to the cat, if they are even there at all.

Matt
Old 06-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

One other thing....these websites keep referring to the front and rear cat. I know mine is not California emissions because it was purchased in Alabama, but do all 3rd gen 4Runners have dual cats? If that's the case then I don't know which one (or possibly both) is bad.

Matt
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 AM

In regards to the front and rear cat, youll notice on the site that when it says front, or rear it will also say california emissions. The rest say except california and do not distinguish front and rear. I have a 99 and I only have one cat (but also am no where near california). If you have questions contact autopartswarehouse using there 24hr chat help. I ordered from them before and the customer service was amazing. Being able to ask questions ( and get answers ) on a Sunday in the evening is great.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

We had to replace the one on my brother's tacoma and it was like $160 from Parks Auto Parts and we get a discount, so I don't think it could be over $200. That was for the cat and the hanger. We put it on and it works fine, no more codes. Good luck with it man.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Godzilla,
What about the oxygen sensors? Where are they located in reference to the cat? I don't want to buy this thing and then it not be compatible because it has no mounting openings for the OEM oxygen sensors, if indeed there are some right behind or before the cat. Thanks!

Matt
Old 06-25-2006, 11:41 AM

well on mine there are bolts to the rear of the cat wich bolt up to the full cat back assembly. On that assembly there is the rear O2 sensor. The front of the cat has a pipe approx. 2ft in length welded to it which goes up and bends and then bolts to the pipe comin off the manifold pipes. This assembly has a hole for the front O2 sensor. So you could get just the cat and cut out the old one and weld a new one in..Or you get the typical assembly on that page which has the pipe coming off the cat with the hangers and such. I dont weld so I personally would pay a few more bucks for the actual replacement with cat and pipe. That way id just bolt it up myself.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:59 AM

If I'm not mistaken, ALL 01 and 02 runners are cali spec emissions with 2 cats and 2 o2 sensors. Thats why there is always a break in the years for exhausts syatems.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by jimbob
If I'm not mistaken, ALL 01 and 02 runners are cali spec emissions with 2 cats and 2 o2 sensors. Thats why there is always a break in the years for exhausts syatems.
well this is why this is based on my 99 Runner..best thing to do is to get under and look for yourself Matt.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Have you had the Cat(s) checked or do you possibly have a temp sensor, the infered type you shoot the little laser at and tells you the temp?

If the cats bad, clogged ect, you will not get a temp difference front to back, thats how i was told to check mine before i went out and replaced it.

If you do go with a aftermarket one and the O2 sensor is a problem, just take it down to a good muffler shop and have them weld it in before the sensor or just weld in a bung for the O2 sensor. piece of cake should not be to much and with 180 for the cat and some welding should be well short ofthe 800 from Dealer.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

I talked with Auto Parts Warehouse this morning and either the Eastern or the DEC will work, however neither come with gaskets. They say to re-use the stock gaskets, which I don't like at all. They will have already been compressed and may not provide an adequate seal once the new unit is installed. I don't want any leaks!!! What do ya'll think? I guess I'm going to call the Stealer and see if I can order just the gaskets from them.

Matt
Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I ordered the Eastern bolt on catalytic converter today along with another Pacesetter resonated exhaust tip since mine is pretty rusted on the inside around the resonator tube and looks like crap. Nice chunk of change, even though it's a WHOLE lot better than the price from the dealer.

While under truck looking at the cat, I decided to inspect my muffler. Guess what....it's got two holes in it on the inlet pipe (one on top and one on the bottom). It's like the aluminum just peeled back and opened up. No wonder my exahust started to sound funny. I thought it was the tip, turns out it's these holes in the muffler. I cranked the truck up and got down there and the higher pitched sound that I've been hearing on take off is a direct result of these holes because I heard the sound while the truck was sitting there idling. Dynomax says they are going to replace it under warranty even though I don't have the receipt, but that's not concrete yet because I haven't gotten her confirmation email.

To make a long story short, by Friday afternoon I should have a brand new exhaust system (assuming the muffler gets here in time) from the first flange of the cat back to the exahaust tip. I hate to drop $400, but it's better than $800 just for the cat from the stealer. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Hopefully, the guy on the phone was right and this Eastern cat is no different than the stock one in terms of performance and durability. We'll see....Later.

Matt
Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

BTW...I can get replacement gaskets at the dealer, along with replacement studs and nuts. By the looks of those studs and nuts, they are so rusted that if they do come off they probably won't be re-usable but the odds are they are going to have to be cut off. Looks like I'll end up giving them a few bucks anyway but at least I'll have new gaskets to go in there.

Matt
Old 06-27-2006, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread, but...

$56 shipped:
http://search.ebay.com/Carsound-Magn...ytic-Converter
Old 06-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Midiwall,
I didn't really want a high flow, but thanks for looking for me.

Matt
Old 06-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

I only saw one on my 2002 when I put on my Magnaflow muffler.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

It's only one, unless you live in California.

Matt
Old 06-27-2006, 10:50 AM

You could have two, it's not likely but mine is a 99 with CA dual cats and I am in VA. My 4runner was originally bought in VA.