Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

removing/installing cv axle driver side front

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing/installing cv axle driver side front

hi,

my dad's 4wd 00 tacoma front driverside axle boot is torn and needs to be replaced. i will get a whole axle from autozone or oreillys.

I have replaced axles from hondas many times but not on a toyota. i was doing a search and found out that the axle does not have a spindle nut? is this correct? i just pull this out from the hub after i get the other side out of the differential?

will this be tough to get it out of the differential? i really don't want to pay anyone to do the job. i believe i'm capable of doing it but has anyone had any problems pulling or installing one?

oh yeah, what generation would an 00 be?
thanks alot!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Check this write-up, it should help:

Changing the CV Boots on a ADD Equipped Tacoma.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the axle assembly you're getting from Autozone? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
Check this write-up, it should help:

Changing the CV Boots on a ADD Equipped Tacoma.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the axle assembly you're getting from Autozone? Thanks.

thanks for the reply...the assy is $84 after the core is returned from oreillys. lifetime warranty, not too bad.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/B2C/condi...ehicle0&page=1

my dad don't go off-road too much. so this should be okay.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:12 PM

Pry off Axle nut dust cover. I used a small chisel to do this. Be careful not to damage the cover, as it will be reused.

Pull out cotter pin from axle and small nut cover.

Take off the axle nut using a 36mm socket.

Take out the four small bolts that hold the lower ball joint onto the spindle.

Slide the spindle off of the axle and out of the way.

got one question about the link. 5th instruction is to "slide the spindle off of the axle.. " is the going to need some hammering? or will it just slide off like it says and with ease?

thanks for the help!
Old 04-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Contrary to what the www.ttora.com website says, I would consider the '00 taco to be 2nd gen (not 1st gen) because there was a major style change and addition of the TRD package in '98.

Anyway, to anwer your question - yes it should slip off without a hammer, but it will probably require a little bit of muscle/persuasion, but not too much. It's a pretty easy procedure.

Some things to note:

1. When you remove the 4 bolts that hold the lower control arm to the steering knuckle, they can be a pain because they have to be tight. One of them is kind of recessed into the tapped casting so the head of the bolt is a little shallow to get a socket on. I had to use an impact wrench to get one of mine off the first time. It will help to pre-soak these with some penetrant like liquid wrench. When you re-install these - be aware that some people have reported them working loose after driving the truck! I used some red loc-tite to make sure they are not going to come off and have not had any problems.

2. The big nut that has to come off (hub nut) - is most likely a 36mm. BUT, some guys (seems to be 4runners) have reported 35mm. So just be aware that there is a remote chance that you have a 35mm, but most likely a 36mm if it is a '00 Taco.

3. When you pull the CV axle out of the diff - be careful not to just grab the outboard portion of the axle or shaft and yank on it. There is nothing really holding the inner tripod joint inside of the tulip except the rubber boot - so you might damage the boot or make it leak (this isn't really an issue if you are going to junk it as a core anyway). But, what I am saying is that you can grab the tulip (solid part) of the inner joint and pull it out of the diff. When it comes out, there is a c-clip on the stub shaft that some people mess up. Since you will have a new axle - it should come with the c-clip - but make sure you have a new one in case you mess up the old one.

4. When you put the new axle into the diff - it might be a little tough to get it to pop in there. But it does kind of "pop" in there and likely will with a good push. If not, what you can do is take a large blade screwdriver or similar device and tap on the "fins" that you will see on the inner face of the tulip housing that mates up to the diff. to help it out a little.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:59 PM

bajataco,
thanks for the extensive write! does not sound bad at all.
i'll let you know how it goes. turns out i'm going to be replacing both fronts

would you know how i can determine if mine has Automatic Differential Disconnect?

thanks a bunch!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Banned

If it dosen't have dials on the hubs its ADD.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jx94148
If it dosen't have dials on the hubs its ADD.
i just checked this morning, its got the aisin dials with Free and Lock on the hub.
so i don't have the Auto differential disconnect!

thanks for the replies, i'll let ya know how it goes after i get the axles in!