Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Relocating spare on 2nd Gen 4-Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating spare on 2nd Gen 4-Runner

I bought myself a '90 4-Runner last night to replace my truck. So far I'm pleased with it, but there is one thing that I find a little annoying. It has the spare on one of those monkey swings hangin' off the back and I don't like it. I was wondering if anyone has relocated thiers to the 'normal' spot up underneath. I have the hole in the bumper for the tool to slide in, but it's missing the lift mechanism, any ideas where I could get one?

Also, being new to this any other thoughts on what I can do to this basically stone-stock cruiser?

Oh, and I feel really lucky because it came w/the 31" tire option and 4.56 gears, woooooohoooo!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw the winch mechanism for sale somewhere, but I don't remember where, now. Search the for sale section here, at 4x4wire.com and pirate4x4.com. I think it was here though. Somebody might want to buy your swing too, but they'll have to reinforce their sheetmetal.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the winch part is detachable, then the one on my 95 is for sale.

I didn't know that 90's had a 4.56 gearing option, that is news to me.

Most people are crazy to get the spare out from underneath, not get rid of the swing out as you are doing.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:31 PM

Re: Relocating spare on 2nd Gen 4-Runner

Originally posted by Faded
I bought myself a '90 4-Runner last night to replace my truck. So far I'm pleased with it, but there is one thing that I find a little annoying. It has the spare on one of those monkey swings hangin' off the back and I don't like it. I was wondering if anyone has relocated thiers to the 'normal' spot up underneath.
Personally, I find the spot under the truck for the spare tire anything BUT normal I would LOVE to have a swing instead. After owning two 4Runners with the under the body spare mount, I wish I had a tailgate swing mount like yours. I cannot believe you want to get rid of it Here, up north, the mechanism under the truck becomes useless in a few years. You will probably not find a single 2nd Gen 4Runner around these parts with a working spare tire mechanism. I want your tailgate swing!! Does anyone know if 4Runner WITH the swing has thicker metal under the swing mounts than a 4Runner without one? Probably so.. sigh..
Old 09-03-2003, 08:54 PM

Being in the salt belt i can can say first hand that mine does'nt work right now. I was going to install my hitch and went to remove the tire from underneith and it didnt move.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:18 PM

The 90-92 4Runners that had the rear-mounted spares do have a reinforcement plate inside of the rear of the vehicle. Another thing you might want to think about is that you have a tailgate made for a rear-mounted spare, moving it would require you to buy a new tailgate with the center-mounted license plate and reverse lights. If you notice, your license plate is mounted on the "monkey swing".
good luck
Old 09-07-2003, 01:33 PM

When had my 92 I had the spare under the rear and was looking into the swinging tire carrier. This is a first I heard of somebody wanting to remove the swinging tire carrier.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:52 PM

I had to cut mine down a couple of years ago. Rusted solid. I wanted to know I could get at the spare when and if I needed it. Mechanism was rusted tight. Problem is, now I really need the space in the rear of my runner. I have been working as finish carpenter and stuff is getting all over the place. I would consider buying a new winch mechanism, which IS removeable. I have also thought of the following:

1. Band it up there with banding straps for shipping. Would
ALWAYS have to have tin snips in vehicle.

2. Ratchet straps. Could fail or Jam pretty easily.

3. Drill a hole in the frame cross member or winch support,
place some big-*ss bolts through it sticking down. Push tire
up on studs and bolt in with aircraft locknuts. And probably
jamnuts too. Check for corrosion frequently and NEVER Leave
without proper wrench to loosen it.

They don't call this the rust belt for nuthin'

Any more ideas? I gotta' get that tire out of the back!

Last edited by Reldnew; 09-07-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

JFYI.. If you have the gearbox on the LT frame rail, try removing that box and turning the rod that goes to the winch first.. Most of the time the winch is good, but that gear box is shot.. If it is, you may be able to take it apart, sandblast the parts and re-fill the box with neversieze.. Try that first.. I cut my winch only to find it still worked.. BTW, the new winch did not come with that stupid gear box either!!
Old 11-23-2003, 01:37 PM

reldnew - what did you end up doing to fix your spare tire situation? i had to cut my spare off to drive across country. i mounted it on thule bars with ratchet straps, which made me look like a safari wanna be, and worked fine, but isn't really ideal now that i'm in the LA area. is it possible to replace the winch with one from a salvage yard? i can't afford the rear bumper and hate to lose the space in the cargo area. the dog would hate me!
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That pic is tiny!
Old 11-23-2003, 06:35 PM

*getting magnifying glass*
Old 11-23-2003, 07:47 PM

I was thinking about taking the "Monkey swing" off my runner also. I love having it but I really want to build one of these bumpers and I think the tire will cover the recever.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:41 PM

ok, bigger image attached. i just need to know if i can salvage another winch for underneath to re-mount the tire or if i'm stuck with the racks or throwing it in the back. the rear swing is on my xmas list, but no $ for that right now. i thought about mounting it upright in the back, was hoping to find ideas on how to do that...
Attached Thumbnails Relocating spare on 2nd Gen 4-Runner-wild_bill.jpg  
Old 11-24-2003, 05:29 AM

Speaking of salt belt

Im mad....ive had a tragic loss this weekend...my 2nd gen. lost its virginity. 6in of the white stuff....soon the salt is comming, damn windsheild cracked cause of the bitter cold. I guess my texas runner is going to start to rust huh.