Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recently Changed to Synthetic oil, a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently Changed to Synthetic oil, a question

So about 2000 miles ago I started running M1 full synthetic to treat my rig like a king. Definitely must say, it does run smoother, and I feel better about it. I have to ask though, I have read in other posts that full synthetics tend to loosen gunk up and pull it out. My question is I am going on a 700 mile road trip this next weekend, all highway. Should I do an oil change this week and get a new filter as well or am I good for a bit longer. Also, I am going to make the switch to the taurus or m1 "upgrade" filter on the next round.

What do ya guys think?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Synthetic is good for well beyond 3000 mile intervals, but i change mine every 3k miles. You will be just fine for a 700 mile trip.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your truck is young (like yours) there shouldn't be much gunk to get loose. you shouldn't worry about it.

Just curious how many miles do you have?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 AM

146,xxx
Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Cheers to M1 fully synthetic! Change it when you get back, not sure about the releasing gunk thing though.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:18 PM

i am running valvoline 5w-40 full synthetic in my rig and change it every 5000 miles. i also use a premium wix oil filter.

as for the gunk deal, i have no idea.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when i switched to amsoil synthetic, i ran a can of their engine cleaner with the old oil that was supposed to loosen some of the gunk. i ran the engine for the 15-20 minutes they recommended, so the filter caught the loose gunk or it ran out with the oil when i changed it. my first oil change with synthetic was a little darker than i expected, and i figured it was more loosened gunk coming out of the engine. now when i change it every 6 months or so, it never gets to be the pitch black that the old oil was at oil change time. also, when i removed my valve covers to change the seals, for the most part it was pretty darn clean in there. i don't know what the before looked like to compare, but for having 98K miles on it, i was expecting a bit more varnish and caked on deposits on the head; pleasant surprise i guess
Old 05-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by warriors_03
146,xxx
yeh thats not alot of miles at for a yota, you really shouldnt need an oil change at all.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

I have 137k on mine and it's been on M1 synthetic since it was 10,000 miles old and I change my oil at just over 7000 miles/9 months (whatever comes first) and it comes out just a tad darker which it should and it burns not quite a half quart in that time. I also am partial to Puralator PureOne filters.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had 3k on my oil and then went on a 1200 mile trip, still havent changed it, gonna do it monday.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 AM

i buy synthetic oils on sale. advance auto will carry Valvoline synpower for buy one get one free and i will buy a case and get one for free.. i run mine 5-7k miles.. be sure to keep the air filter clean. replace every 10k miles or so if you are going to run extended drains.. btw if you are going to pay full price for a "syn" oil, i would highly suggest Penzoil Platinum.. by far better than M1.. look em up.. M1 has shown high wear numbers compared to most other synthetics with Penzoil Plat. being the best out there over the counter..
Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
...btw if you are going to pay full price for a "syn" oil, i would highly suggest Penzoil Platinum.. by far better than M1.. look em up.. M1 has shown high wear numbers compared to most other synthetics with Penzoil Plat. being the best out there over the counter..
Yeah I've noticed some of the UOAs on the PP are very good and some of the M1 tests not so good. I just have been relutant to buy Penzoil yet, but I noticed this week the 5 quart jugs of PP in wallyworld were $19.xx. That's a good price, may have to start doing my own UOA next oil change.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I've noticed some of the UOAs on the PP are very good and some of the M1 tests not so good. I just have been relutant to buy Penzoil yet, but I noticed this week the 5 quart jugs of PP in wallyworld were $19.xx. That's a good price, may have to start doing my own UOA next oil change.
you know i have thought about doing the same except for valvoline synpower.. our 3.4's are so easy on oil. so even M1 would probably show good #'s BUT with out a UOA its nothing but speculation.. I do use M1 gear oils. I do not over extend them bc they do show HIGH TAN #'s , therefore making it very acidic. but i am switching ALL fluids except motor oil to Amsoil. atleast with amsoil you are getting a true synthetic not a groupIII/PAO combo mix if they even have PAO in it. most dont..... btw our synthetic oils are not really true synthetics but most of you knew this.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
you know i have thought about doing the same except for valvoline synpower.. our 3.4's are so easy on oil. so even M1 would probably show good #'s BUT with out a UOA its nothing but speculation.. I do use M1 gear oils. I do not over extend them bc they do show HIGH TAN #'s , therefore making it very acidic. but i am switching ALL fluids except motor oil to Amsoil. atleast with amsoil you are getting a true synthetic not a groupIII/PAO combo mix if they even have PAO in it. most dont..... btw our synthetic oils are not really true synthetics but most of you knew this.
I was surprised the first time I changed the oil on my Tacoma, the old oil looked almost brand new. And the 3.4 doesn't burn hardly a drop of oil. I recently switched to M1 motor oil myself, but I've always just trusted their products. That would be concerning if M1 shows higher wear levels compared to Pennzoil Platinum?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 PM

I would not replace the oil but if you have not lubed and torque checked your drive shaft(s) it would be wise to do so.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 PM

M1 is not a true synthetic, but still will protect your engine well. I have always used M1 in all of my cars and trucks, but I have now switched to Amsoil (and oil filter. Also, diff and xfer case fluids). On my last change, I used M1 and will be sending it off for a UOA. With Amsoil, I will send off a sample at 3000 miles, 5000 miles and 7000 miles. If it still shows good at 7000, I might see about going till 9,000 - 10,000. I don't think I will ever get up to the 15,000 mark, like they advertise.

And this is probably all in my head, but I swear the engine noise has reduced with Amsoil in there (got about 1,000 miles or so on it). But I do hallucinate a lot, though. For filters, after reading and looking at the pics of cutouts of the Amsoil Ea filter on bitog, I think they are a better option to the OEM filters I've been using.

Last edited by cackalak han; 05-19-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
M1 is not a true synthetic, but still will protect your engine well. I have always used M1 in all of my cars and trucks, but I have now switched to Amsoil (and oil filter. Also, diff and xfer case fluids). On my last change, I used M1 and will be sending it off for a UOA. With Amsoil, I will send off a sample at 3000 miles, 5000 miles and 7000 miles. If it still shows good at 7000, I might see about going till 9,000 - 10,000. I don't think I will ever get up to the 15,000 mark, like they advertise.

And this is probably all in my head, but I swear the engine noise has reduced with Amsoil in there (got about 1,000 miles or so on it). But I do hallucinate a lot, though. For filters, after reading and looking at the pics of cutouts of the Amsoil Ea filter on bitog, I think they are a better option to the OEM filters I've been using.
I would be interested to see the UOA results you get for the M1 oil versus Amsoil. But like you said, M1 should provide adequate protection for most engines. And the 3.4 V6 does seem to be very 'easy' on oil.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 PM

For filters, after reading and looking at the pics of cutouts of the Amsoil Ea filter on bitog, I think they are a better option to the OEM filters I've been using.
those have got to be one of the best if not the best oil filter on the market. its made for amsoil by WIX. WIX does not make this same filter in their own line but their premium filter is also a very fine filter.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM

M1 is not a true synthetic, but still will protect your engine well.
Off-topic:

I would be interested to know where you find that Mobil 1 is not a "true synthetic". I truely hope it wasnt from your Amsoil rep. Please dont mislead others that arent as well educated.

On-topic:
Your oil will be fine for the trip...and honestly I hope you would consider running it at least 5000 miles. You may want to pick a number like 6000 or 7500 miles, send your oil off for a UOA then stick with the drain interval if all is good. I'm personally running 7500 mile drain intervals without a problem. Truck has 131500 miles, uses no noticeable oil during these drain intervals, and I switched to synthetic at roughly 115000 miles on the truck shortly after buying it last April.

Last edited by wizzells; 05-19-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by wizzells
Off-topic:

I would be interested to know where you find that Mobil 1 is not a "true synthetic". I truely hope it wasnt from your Amsoil rep. Please dont mislead others that arent as well educated.
I'm not misleading anyone. If anyone's misleading, it's Mobil. Read up on BITOG. I'm curious to know how you found out M1 is a true synthetic? From the sticker on the bottle?

Quick Reply: Recently Changed to Synthetic oil, a question