Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 04-01-2016, 08:21 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear Drum Locked... How to reverse shoe adjuster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Drum Locked... How to reverse shoe adjuster?

So I've been experiencing some binding in my rear left wheel, now the rear wheel is locked in place, it appears the drum shoes are stuck. I have the Haynes manual, it briefly says to push a tab to allow you turn the adjuster backwards with a screwdriver. I can't seem find this tab that allows the adjuster to be turned counter-clockwise. Does anyone have any pics or ideas on how to reverse these shoes in so I can remove the drum?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
KdF

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
you stick in a screwdriver to push in the tab. At the same time you use another screwdriver, or even better, a brake adjustment tool <they are cheap and look like a bent double screwdriver>and whilst kneeling in front of the brake drum, you stick yer head over the drum, and while pushing in with the first screwdriver.....you pull the other tool "TOO YOU!!!" turning the adjustment star troards the truck from the top. This is from experiance, and about a half day figgerin the sucker out.

Gawd wuz I Torked!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a gigantic hassle. Did you pull the access tab off the back of the drum brake assembly? To turn it in you have to hold the ratcheting mechanism up while turning the star adjuster back.

Personally if you are trying to get the drum off, I'd just pull the wheels off and use the 8x1.25mm screws to pop it off.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by KdF
you stick in a screwdriver to push in the tab. At the same time you use another screwdriver, or even better, a brake adjustment tool <they are cheap and look like a bent double screwdriver>and whilst kneeling in front of the brake drum, you stick yer head over the drum, and while pushing in with the first screwdriver.....you pull the other tool "TOO YOU!!!" turning the adjustment star troards the truck from the top. This is from experiance, and about a half day figgerin the sucker out.

Gawd wuz I Torked!
If you drop the spare tire out, you have a lot more room to work behind the drum.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try to find the ratcheting tab again, I just can't seem to get on it. I'll give it another go now. What a PITA!
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

If you figure it out be sure to post it up, i had the same problem with mine, i could not get those drums apart for anything, even those screwsm just started bending things.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM

Look here

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I can't seem find this tab that allows the adjuster to be turned counter-clockwise. Does anyone have any pics or ideas on how to reverse these shoes in so I can remove the drum?
Go here. http://www.proactivate.com/tundra/brakes.html There is a picture about 1.5 page in that makes it all clear. Doesn't make it easy but at least you will know what you are trying to do. This picture saved my sanity when I got mine locked up. Many thanks to the author.

Good luck, John
Old 11-24-2008, 03:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you think the 4Runner rear brakes are tough to adjust, you should try the Tacoma rear brakes. Two of my friends have '99 Tacomas and the leafs get in the way so that you have to do everything by feel. You can't get your head into a position to allow you to even see the wratcheting mechanism.

Now, what you'll likely find your problem to be is that your parking brake bellcrank is sticking. Try moving it back and forth... if it doesn't move freely (keep in mind you're moving it against spring force), then you'll need to remove it from the truck, take it apart, clean it (wire wheel on mini grinder works well for this), lube it with never seize or a light grease, then put it back together and re-install it.

While you're in there, you should also take apart, clean and lube the adjuster threads and the sliding surfaces behind the brake shoes.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 AM

i had the same problem with my 89 runner, the automatic brake adjuster kept locking up my rear left. couldn't get my drum off, so what i did was took off the entire hub and brake housing, sliding the axle out with it. this made it much easier to work on.
i have a couple of books but most were unclear or told me to turn the adjuster down to loosen, but i think thats for older modles.
anyways, if its the same as mine, the release tab is to the right side of the tab hole behind the adjuster bolt, push it with a small flat head. then while pushing the release tab, turn the adjuster bolt "up",(clockwise, if you look at it from the front of the truck.) and it should loosen up.
i know pulling the whole axle seems a bit much, but it made it way easier. up to you. after my brake locked up on me twice, i just bent the relaese tab so it would self-adjust anymore.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 AM

can somebody post some pics?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM

I had to do this on the side of the road...way back when i was out of state on buisness...my axle seals started going and caused the shoes to swell.

The best thing that worked was to remove the dust boot piece up top of backing plate(long oval shape).

Using a mini 90* pick to reach in and pull the metal star anjusting arm towards me(towards the backing plate)

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Once the arm was against the backing plate... I could reach in with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and turn the star wheel to loosen up the shoes.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/63...et_Screwdriver

Its still a PITA.......especially on the road.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Attached is a diagram from the FSM. Step 3 sort of outlines what you need to do.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Drum Locked... How to reverse shoe adjuster?-4runner-rear-shoe.png  
Old 01-01-2009, 05:06 PM

what I did when this happened to me

I went to the parts store to buy some 10mm course bolts in different lengths.I did this because there are pre drilled 10mm holes on the front of the drum.The holes are there so you can screw a 10mm bolt in to it and as you do that.... the drum should start pulling away from the shoes... but I broke the drum around the bolt because the there was way to much pressure on the shoes against the interior of the drum so I was stumped at this time and I couldn't break the adjuster loose so the drum wasn't coming off.
I then at that point decided to get something that would get it off..A 16LB SLEDGE HAMMER!...I knew the drums are some sort of cast iron and cast iron will break so I started really beating the snot out of it for about 45min.
after wearing my self out trying to beat the drum off it just wouldn't loosen up.I then decided I need a smoke break so I fired one up and sat down right in front of the drum. I was pissed at and went to pull on it and what do ya know THE DRUM JUST PULLED OFF WITHOUT RESISTANCE I guess I just got lucky..had to buy a new drum and adjuster and put it back together and went rolling