Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear brake parts reviews please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brake parts reviews please.

I have done lots of searching and reading. I am starting this thread (with an easy to search title) to help myself and others with this question. (if i could start a pole I would but i have to contribute first)

After 150,000 miles, my rear brakes are still doing their job. I will be doing the tundra upgrade to the fronts and adding stainless steel lines all around soon and just to be safe, I want to replace my shoes and drums in the rear. What parts do you like?

OEM toyota?
Raybestos?
Autozone/Napa?

All I need are the drums *edit* and shoes right? any springs that should be replaced? How do I know if I need to replace the wheel cylinder?

Thanks Yotatech Brothers.

Last edited by SWPERIC; 04-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm a fan of Brembo Rotors, but I'm not sure if they make drums or not.

I would go to Napa and get some OEM equivalent Rear Drums, and then some middle of the road shoes. The rears do not use pads.. just shoes.

You can purchase a hardware kit for another 7-13 dollars that has all the springs and clips included. I would go ahead and purchase these if you have 150k on the clock. It is a little extra to make sure you don't have to go back in and fix something that breaks.

To check the wheel cylinder, look for any brake fluid or wet areas around it. If it is dry, then you should be set.

While you are in there, if you haven't replaced your axle seals yet, now would be a prime time to take care of these as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM

brembo does make drums for either 60 or 120 a piece. cant figure out the difference between them tho.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was my truck,once you pull the drums..inspect the axle shaft really well for any signs of an axle leak.Because if its leaking it will ruin your new shoes...

wheel cylinders,take a small pocket screwdriver and pull back the boots from the middle and check for any moisture.

Shoes,either dealer or NAPA oem type are fine.

Don't bother with any spring kits unless yours are really rusty,OEM springs will last the life of the vehical.

Drums,I would either have them turned at your local machine shop or NAPA has machine shops in some of them,or they can send them to a local machine shop for you.......Or replace with NAPA brand/Toyota OEM drums...a lot of people like Brembo,but I am not a fan..

Also while you are back there remove the bellcranks(search),make sure they move free and put a little lube at the piviot point inside the boot...I use high temp caliper slide grease.

Make sure you adjust the rear shoes correctly...

I like to set them so that the drum just barely slips by them..To check,do one side at a time...install wheel,spin wheel by hand...as its spinning..grab the e-brake cabe for that side and pull..it should only deflect about an inch and the tire will stop....If it dosen't spin freely..you are too tight(can be a pain to get off)...if it deflects more than an inch...you can go through the backing plate(remove oval rubber plug)use a small screwdriver and turn the wheel one click...spin again...repeat untill it locks the wheel at about an inch deflection.........