Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rattling noise in drivers side dash. ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattling dash noise...me too

'03 4 runner V8 sport.....been driven nothin but 4runners since 1990.....3 of'em....really just 2 but some chick t-boned/side swiped me while I was doin 40+ & rolled me over 3 x's....thankfully landed on all 4's.....side curtains....wont ever leave home w/out'em. Pretty much walked away from that one w/nothin more than the typical post accident aches & pains....so I wont drive anything else as I feel incredibly safe in this car. Also put over 200K on each w/very few mech issues.

OK....as for the dash rattle.....all 3 of the '03 4runners I've had have done this at various points in time. It seems to be near the middle of the dash but a bit towards the drivers side. When the noise is evident, it's typically heard pretty much as soon as the ignition starts up.....kinda like a rolling noise...but you gotta have a decent ear for it as it's not all that loud of a noise. I've taken it into my local dealer (Dublin, CA) more than 2 x's over the yrs & of course nobody there seems to have a clue. All they'll tell me is...."well if you want us to remove the dash......etc.". No thank you!!.....especially as it certainly doesn't appear to present much, if any of an issue which requires addressing. When the noise is evident, it seems to come & go for awhile before disappearing all together pretty much as quickly as it began. Seems to be no real rhyme or reason w/re to when it decides to make its' appearance. It sure is one of those strange ones' though.....something that you just gotta put up with I suppose....turn up the radio like someone else said. On that note (turning up the radio)....I gotta add that for the 1st time on any of the 3 4runners I've had since 1990.....I have a CD deck issue.....the dang thing wont eject.....& of course it's loaded w/5 discs. It's stuck trying to get disc #3 out.....it wont switch to any other disc either. So I have no CD player....sucks!!! So if anyone has any quick & easy CD suggs....fire away. Otherwise....I'm now wondering if I decide to open up the wallet to have it fixed via local Dealer.....if they'll need to remove the dash in order to address the CD issue....maybe they'll be able to also remedy the mystery rattling noise as well. BUT....I'm also wondering if the rattling will also need to be present as well.....which of course is the tricky thing as ya never know when it'll decide to make its' appearance....not to mention the duration.

Apologies for the length....I guess after 25+ yrs of 4runner miles (get'n close 500K now I think) it wasn't all too long. But if you've read this far.... & Cheers!!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by atistang
thats what i was thinking last night, shimming the dash with foam. if i put my hand on the passenger side of the dash while i'm driving then it goes away
yup same issue with my truck. jammed a piece of rubber in between the windshield and dash and good to go
Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by chromatest
Hey all... I took my tacoma on the first long distance drive since I bought it and it developed a rattling sound. We can't pinpoint exactly where it is coming from, but it seems to be in the dash or drivers-side kick-panel. Basically, somewhere to the left and in front of the driver.

It kind of sounds like a speedo cable, but the speedo needle doesn't bounce around at all like I would expect.

Then....
Just last week, I noticed a similar sound coming from the same general area on the passenger side.

In both instances, the sound doesn't start until the truck is going around 45 mph and stops when you slow down much below that.

Do you folks have any ideas what this could be?
Hi Chromatest sorry to revive this old thread but did you find the cause of your noise? I'm facing the exact same rattle except mine also happens when also with a strong crosswind when I'm going 50mp+
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM

Never did find it. I thought that it might be the mudflap thing that divides the wheel-well from the engine compartment. Since my truck has a body lift, the bottom of that rubber flap is loose.

After some tests, I determined that it wasn't the problem though.

If you or anybody else has some good ideas, please share.

I've done pretty much everything short of ripping the dash out.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 AM

Thanks for your help. I'll continue to fiddle around. I'll post something if I ever find out what it is!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:48 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
When I bought my truck, just a couple months ago, my friend told me about the passenger side dashboard rattle. His understanding, after talking to a few people, was that it's the passenger airbag.

Now all sorts of rattles can pop up in all sorts of areas, but he portrayed it to me as though when he asked a mechanic the guy knew exactly what he was talking about before even checking it out, and just said "yep, they do that. No one knows how to fix it. Just deal with it", or something along those lines. But that it had to do with the airbag.

In my truck, it comes and goes.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 AM

Thanks for your info. But I'm getting my noise in the Driver Side. Definitely know it's not coming from the airbag but more of the foot well area.

I've literally been driving around with my dash taken apart because I'm trying to pinpoint the noise.

It sounds like something is loose and needs to be tightened down and rattles like metal on metal.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 79la
It sounds like something is loose and needs to be tightened down and rattles like metal on metal.

I had a similar noise crop up a few months ago. Definitely driver's side and appears to come from behind/under the dash. The best way I can describe it is cracked sheet metal that's getting flexed.

It comes and goes randomly.

Andreas
Old 11-20-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar rattle coming from the passenger side of my Corolla I had recently bought. Thought sure it was coming from inside.

Long story short, it was caused by a missing fender bolt. It had been in a minor accident in the past, and, apparently, whoever removed/replaced the fender left out a bolt near the front door.