Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question for those with the SS #7 lift...

Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with the SS #7 lift...

My runner has a little over 70k on it and its time to start thinking about suspension. I've tried a couple of different lifts on my previous Tacomas and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do on the runner. I'm seriously looking at the SS #7 as there have been nothing but good reviews here and I like the fact that it is made up of mostly factory parts.

My question: Because the #7 uses mostly factory parts, what is the ride like on the road? Will it be too "mushy" side to side? For those with the lift, whats it like? My fear is that it will be too soft in the event that I need to make an emergency lane change or something...

As much as I hate the spacer lifts, my 03 Tacoma felt really good on the road. And my 06 Tacoma felt great with the SAW's, I just dont want to go through the headache of having to rebuild every other year.

Right now I'm leaning toward the SS #7, but I'm also considering the OME with some of the SS enhancements(panhard bar, brake lines, diif drop, etc...).

I've searched and there is a lot of great info, but little about how the lift behaves on the road. Any input is appreciated!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the #7 lift and I really like it. Unloaded it is not "plush soft" as some describe it. It is quite a bit stiffer than stock, but in a good way. It tends to be harsher on small bumps (compared to stock), but when you hit medium to large size bumps, the suspension has considerably more travel before it bottoms out, so it rides much better on poor surfaces.

Handling is slightly worse than stock due to the higher center of gravity, but the body lean may actually be less due to the stiffer coils.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 PM

thats a damn good desription. you deffinatly feel little bumps, but over all it feels great.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

everything about it is cool EXCEPT the tundra coils. they are too stiff for the weight they carry. You really need a heavy bumper with winch to have them feel right I think. The OMEs in the back and the trekmasters are good. I think I might try some OME springs up front eventually if adding some more weight doesn't help. I got to say the tundra lift up front isn't all its cracked up to be. But again, may just because I'm too light up front

Last edited by spaugh; 03-05-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spaugh
everything about it is cool EXCEPT the tundra coils. they are too stiff for the weight they carry. You really need a heavy bumper with winch to have them feel right I think. The OMEs in the back and the trekmasters are good. I think I might try some OME springs up front eventually if adding some more weight doesn't help. I got to say the tundra lift up front isn't all its cracked up to be. But again, may just because I'm too light up front
Good info, I dont intend on doing a bumper anytime soon. If I go with OME's and Trekmaster's, is there a longer length shock and strut that I should order or is it just the normal 4Runner Trekmaster's?

Thanks for the info guys, I would really like to get this ordered by the end of the week.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:27 AM

http://www.toyteclifts.com/96024runn...runnerliftkits
Thats a link for the toytec site, they have some OME lift kits there.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

I completely disagree and invite you to meet me for some 4 Wheeling. I want to see what you are doing and show you how well they do indeed work.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:18 AM

Im about to lift mine too and related to his shock question, with 2-2.5 inches of lift what are the dangers of damaging stock shocks? are there any?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mtriple
Good info, I dont intend on doing a bumper anytime soon. If I go with OME's and Trekmaster's, is there a longer length shock and strut that I should order or is it just the normal 4Runner Trekmaster's?

Thanks for the info guys, I would really like to get this ordered by the end of the week.
If you buy and Old Man Emu suspension, buy their shocks as well. Keep it a complete setup or don't buy it at all. If you want more info on OME call ARB, from the horses mouth is best.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mtriple
My runner has a little over 70k on it and its time to start thinking about suspension. I've tried a couple of different lifts on my previous Tacomas and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do on the runner. I'm seriously looking at the SS #7 as there have been nothing but good reviews here and I like the fact that it is made up of mostly factory parts.

My question: Because the #7 uses mostly factory parts, what is the ride like on the road? Will it be too "mushy" side to side? For those with the lift, whats it like? My fear is that it will be too soft in the event that I need to make an emergency lane change or something...

As much as I hate the spacer lifts, my 03 Tacoma felt really good on the road. And my 06 Tacoma felt great with the SAW's, I just dont want to go through the headache of having to rebuild every other year.

Right now I'm leaning toward the SS #7, but I'm also considering the OME with some of the SS enhancements(panhard bar, brake lines, diif drop, etc...).

I've searched and there is a lot of great info, but little about how the lift behaves on the road. Any input is appreciated!

Been researching alot myself recently both here and outside... SS#7 is they way to go. Just need to convince myself to drop the $$$
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

You may be too light up front to see the benefit.

In the past 4 years I have run...
  • 2.5 Daystar spacers on Stock Springs and Shocks
  • OME 882 Springs on Bilstein Shocks
  • Performance Products Springs on Rough Country Shocks
  • Fox Fabtech Performance Coil-Overs
  • 2wd Tundra Coilovers with Spacers
...and finally went to the Sonoran Steel Lift and I am very happy with the on and off road ride and lift it produces. As you can see I have run some different lifts to compare to.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Did you have anyproblems with the stock springs and shocks when you ran the 2.5 inch spacers?

I am about to go with 2.5 inch spacers up front and emu 890's in the back, and don't want to change my shocks. Im just worried about damaging the shocks.... is this something to be worried about?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chadbobb
Did you have anyproblems with the stock springs and shocks when you ran the 2.5 inch spacers?

I am about to go with 2.5 inch spacers up front and emu 890's in the back, and don't want to change my shocks. Im just worried about damaging the shocks.... is this something to be worried about?
You probably want to start a new thread and ask about spacers, this thread is not really about that. You'll get better answers than buying your question in a coil lift thread.