Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Please help settle a locking diff dispute

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help settle a locking diff dispute

Ok, not really a dispute. Just a difference of opinion.

I have an acquaintance that claims all locking rear diffs (including ARB and factory Toyota) still allow some "differential". I claim that is not true, that the rear locking diff forces the rear two wheels to turn at exactly the same speed. Thus, if you take a corner, at least one wheel (maybe both) must lose traction and spin; if not the outer wheel will try to spin faster, but can't because it's rotation is limited by the inside wheel and something has to give-->potentially the axle.

In summary, I believe my 97 with factor e-locker has:
4WD Hi: center differential locked; rear diff open (no LSD), front diff open (no lsd)
4WD lo: same as 4WD hi but different gearing at center diff
4WD lo, RRDIFLOCK: center diff locked, rear diff locked, front diff open

Thanks for the help. I've looked on the ARB site and searched here and feel that I'm right. But my buddy isn't buying it.

VT
Old 03-08-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are correct. You can't blame your friend though, he's probably a Chevy guy. Chevrolet advertises their trucks as having a "L O C K I N G D I F F E R E N T I A L" when in fact, they do not.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

I have both a Chevy with the so called locking diff, which is nothing more than a limited slip and a Toyota with the e-locker. There is no comparison between the two, the e-locker is simply a full locker with an on/off switch and the Chevy "locking diff" is really nothing more than a limited slip.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 AM

oops! you guys dropped the ball here. all lockers are not the same. some are switchable (ARB and E-locker) and some are automatic (quick loc, ez locker, and detroit locker). when the switchables are turned on it's the same as a spool and you would be right. these "lockers" are more of a switchable spool.the manuacturers just don't want to use the word "spool" because it has a negative connotation so they use the word "locker" to associate themselves with the "king" of lockers, the detroit.

if your talking about an auto locker then if both tires have enough traction and are traveling at different speeds, like going arround a turn on pavement, they will unlock and allow the differential. the chevy locker probably has soft springs in it to prevent the ratcheting sound that auto lockers make when they're unlocked. this would also cause the locker to unlock easily when the tires have just a little traction.

i'll take a good stiff auto locker any day, because you can't use the switchables on dry pavement like when the road has snowy patches on it.

Last edited by brick privy; 03-08-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 AM

ehhhh, the difference between auto lockers and selectable lockers is almost non-existent when both are engaged. The autolcokers just rathceht when not much wheel spin is detected. But in offroad situations both will perform exactly the same, locking the rear diff, allowing for a 50/50 power split between the wheels. The only difference is auto-lockers will not engage when small amounts of uneven power distribution is "sensed"(as in a turn). To be honest I would have a spooled or welded rear diff if I didnt use my truck as a DD, less parts, and guaranteed to work, unless you break axles and such, but I don't have the luxury of sing it just as a trail rig. I've driven a Scout with a welded rear diff, and it wasn't terrible offorad, they wheels slide on the dirt fairly well.
So,
A locking differential such as an ARB or e-locker allows for a 50/50 power split.

A welded or spooled diff allows a 50/50 power split.

An autolocker allows for a 50/50 power split most of the time to provide on road comfort, and driveability. ( yes it will unlock on road, but offroad, it really can be considered a true locked differential, the difference is so minimal)

An LSD allows for a 70/30 power split between wheels, this is what Chevy uses, but LSDs often downt hold up as well because they have more moving parts, and after wear and tear that 70/30 power split drops to 80/20, then 90/10, you see where I'm going.

Last edited by JHupp; 03-08-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHupp
ehhhh, the difference between auto lockers and selectable lockers is almost non-existent when both are engaged.
If you are saying engaged as in the selectable is turned on, you're not quite right. An ARB acts like an open diff when off, and like a spool when on. A spool has both wheels turning at the same rate all the time. An auto locker like the Detroit will allow the wheels to turn at different speeds, that's that clicking sound you hear going around corners. With a spool or an ARB that is engaged, you will hear a tire dragging as you go around that same corner.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 AM

in my opinion, the e-locker and ARB are spools.

also, since you mention LSDs, there are two kinds of them too. the true-trac is an all gear dif. and won't change with age.

the LSD action depends on the springs and clutches. the detroit wouldn't have become famous if it was just 70/30, or if it wore out quickly.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:53 AM

Thanks everyone.

I think I "won".

VT
Old 03-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHupp
But in offroad situations both will perform exactly the same, locking the rear diff, allowing for a 50/50 power split between the wheels.

An autolocker allows for a 50/50 power split most of the time to provide on road comfort, and driveability. ( yes it will unlock on road, but offroad, it really can be considered a true locked differential, the difference is so minimal)

I have to disagree, having a selectable locker gives you much more options offroad, in many cases I've seen autolocker having trouble with obstackles, mainly because they couldn't get the rear to lock in tight situations. And on icy roads, autolocker are down right scary.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
I have to disagree, having a selectable locker gives you much more options offroad, in many cases I've seen autolocker having trouble with obstackles, mainly because they couldn't get the rear to lock in tight situations. And on icy roads, autolocker are down right scary.
Are you talking about autolockers or LSD's? From my understanding, the autolocker like the lockright or detroit, never "unlock" so much as they just let the outer tire move faster than the inner, but when power is applied, they lock regardless of what they are doing, thus the chirping of tires when you have an autolocker and are making a tight turn.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 AM

I have driven an spooled diff on icy roads, and it really isnt that bad, granted, if you hit black ice on a highway with a locked rear, it is going to suck, but hitting it with any kind of diff is going to suck. Many people bring about various arguments about autolockers, but theoretically when the are locked, it is the same as a spooled iff, providing a 50/50 power slips. Now I have heard many bad stories about autolockers not engaging, or slipping, but I have also heard a lot of good stories too.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 AM

I was unaware that a 97 model would have a center diff., are you sure yours does. Only the trucks with full time 4wd capability will have a center diff, for the part time system anytime your in 4wd your front and rear tires are locked together.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
I was unaware that a 97 model would have a center diff., are you sure yours does. Only the trucks with full time 4wd capability will have a center diff, for the part time system anytime your in 4wd your front and rear tires are locked together.
your truck will nopt have a center diff, just a transfer case, always provides a 50/50 power split between front and rear axles.