Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ouch...rode over a kerb hard..damage assessment ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch...rode over a kerb hard..damage assessment ?

I was driving in the Post Office parking lot this morning when another motorist backed straight out in front of me.

Instinctively I swung away and ran straight over a kerb with my driver side front wheel .

Kerb is pretty vertical and about 8-10" tall.

I did a quick visual inspection and the rim and tire appear intact. I have not had the chance to run at highway speeds yet to see if I have any shimmy or vibration.

I was very familiar with my 3rd gen so would have assumed rim damage which I have escaped. I hit it pretty much head on so I assume the suspension did its thing and absorbed.

I will have an allignment check when I go in for service next week but where should I be looking on a 4th gen for damage... lower control arm ??? :wtf:

Thanks

David
Old 03-17-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want an alignment it might be necessary, maybe not. If you've not bent a wheel or ruined a tire even, I'd say your hard parts (control arms, tie rods, etc. will be just fine. A good drive on the highway should clue you in as to if there's any damage. I bet you'll be alright. They make those parts pretty sturdy for obvious reasons.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:32 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yea, id think a headon curb jump wouldnt do much serious harm to the insides.

keep your fingers crossed
Old 03-17-2004, 11:01 AM

As long as you don't see a bubble on the sidewall of the tire, the tire is fine. An alignment check will let you know if you bent any of the suspension parts.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hit a curb at about 30-40mph, was tryin to avoid a towncar in the city, but I slowed down and never really felt the hit except for the suspension flexing over the curb, mine was driver side to, after I got on the highway and did not feel or hear any weird noise I knew I was good with no damage.

Never hurts to have the alignment checked but I did not even go that far, but I had to have it done cause it was off since new, I think I atually had it done then hit the curb but usually I just check to make sure the tires are wearing evenly when I rotate them, but the truck is made to take some pretty extreme blows that I would consider normal for it, I've already put 5k on it since.

edit
if you hit it head on then no worries thats what I did and that is what it sounds like but if you hit it coming around a turn and the sidewall took the hit then you can have some damage but I doubt it

you could always go back and hit the passenger side and even out the damage

Last edited by EDGE; 03-17-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:32 PM
DSP

Hello:

Don't you also have a nice pencil drawing you would like to include in this post...

I am finding it very hard to visualize exactly what happened...

Please sketch us a 4Runner and a stick drawing of yourself showing how you felt when this happened.

Thank you
Old 03-17-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No that's funny stuff!!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by DSP
Hello:

Don't you also have a nice pencil drawing you would like to include in this post...

I am finding it very hard to visualize exactly what happened...

Please sketch us a 4Runner and a stick drawing of yourself showing how you felt when this happened.

Thank you
You sound like my fricken insurance agent.... :pat:

BTW, all seems fine but I scored a free allignment as I just had an insurance inspection to fix some light damage when I got tagged a few weeks back. Told the agent I felt a shimmy at 65 mph and he suggested an allignment

I kill myself some days...

David
Old 03-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh,

I attack curbs like that just for fun (of course I have a little more ground clearance).

Sounds like that 4Runners built Toyota Tuff, cool.