Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Vibration or shake in steering wheel ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration or shake in steering wheel ???

I am experiencing a intermitent shake in the steering when hitting bumps on the highway at around 60 to 75mph... Alot of people on the forum have experenced a "vibration" in the steering at around that speed mentioned.
Do most of you experience a vibration on road surfaces that are rough or smooth ???? Also is it intermitent or constant ??? ..

My situation is when encountering bumps on the highway I will get a shake
in the steering. Originally had a vibration in the steering also at those speeds ...dealer balanced the wheels and the vibration seemed to of went away but the shake over bumps persisted... dealer then did a wheel alignment and said the 'toe' was out. Nothing has changed... same shake
in steering....Now that balancing and alignment of the wheels did not solve the problem what else can it be ???? any ideas...

Forgot to mention have a 04 V6 4wd...
Old 03-18-2004, 07:35 AM

Shake History

Originally Posted by aiwaskiw
I am experiencing a intermitent shake in the steering when hitting bumps on the highway at around 60 to 75mph... Alot of people on the forum have experenced a "vibration" in the steering at around that speed mentioned.
Do most of you experience a vibration on road surfaces that are rough or smooth ???? Also is it intermitent or constant ??? ..

My situation is when encountering bumps on the highway I will get a shake
in the steering. Originally had a vibration in the steering also at those speeds ...dealer balanced the wheels and the vibration seemed to of went away but the shake over bumps persisted... dealer then did a wheel alignment and said the 'toe' was out. Nothing has changed... same shake
in steering....Now that balancing and alignment of the wheels did not solve the problem what else can it be ???? any ideas...

Forgot to mention have a 04 V6 4wd...

Did you have this shake from new? Did anything occur while driving that might have caused it? Does the dealer acknowledge that the shake is there? Have you driven any other V6 4x4 '04s to see if they are the same...you could just test drive one from the dealership...I have an '03 V8 4x4 and this does not happen for me, but if it did, I would be first trying to find-out if it occurs with most if not all of my model, then acting from there.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps you would be more comfortable with a stiffer steering stabilizer?

Is the shake attributable to bump-steer?

That's my guess.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

I would check the balance of the tires and the alignment to start with.