Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

opinions please.....(sparco seats)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions please.....(sparco seats)

allright guys i now this sounds a litlle extreme, and normally i wouldnt spend much money on somehting like Sparco seats but here is the situation, (its kinda complicated and long so just bear with me)

So my cousin turned sixteen a few months ago, he was driving his camry when a girl (17) drove into his lane and they had a head on collision both going about 40-50 mph, he is fine anfter a some minor injuries, but here is the key part. The doctor told him that he would have died if it wasnt for the airbag! sooo..... my mom talks to her sister (my aunt) and hears this. now when i got my car my mom and my dad were fighting over who would pay for my car (divorced) so my mom went out and got me an old 4runner on a whim. (lucky for me i dont think i could have gotten a better vehicle, except maybe anewer one, its a 90). so now my mom thinks that i am going to die in my 4runner because i dont have an airbag because she was cheap when she bought my car!

So she said she wanted ot buy me a new 4runner(like 96-98 new*) but i love my 90 and have put so much work into it i dont ever want to sell it, (just maybe rebuild the engine this sumer) so i told her that a pair of professional seats with a 4 point harness would be even safer than an airbag in any type of crash (t-bone, rear-end, etc) and she said as a non-knowing mother would say "oh that sounds great". but i told her it would be over athousand dollars easy, and she still said "that sounds great" so i went online and found some awesome new seats.

I was wondering what your guys opinions on these seats and how they would look in my runner, and if you think that this is a decent idea in general. i have inlcluded links to the seats at sparco's website. i was planning on getting the black/grey as pictured and the black harness pictured below.

thanks ahead for your opinions guys!

sparco seats

my 4runner
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

My first suggestion is to check your local seatbelt laws before you buy anthing. A friend of mine got a no seatbelt ticket for wearing his 4 point harness while driving around town. Can't remember all of the details, but the law cited said something about racing harnesses not legal for use on road...

Just do all of your homework/research first...

Old 11-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Man if she's willing to buy a newer Runner for you; cut your losses and go for it. The 3.4 engine is so much sweeter than the 3.sl0w, believe me i've had both. I would say go 3rd Gen and forget the seats.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:25 PM

Those seats won't be any safer than stock will they?
Anyway, your truck and seats will be stolen the day after you put them in!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by FirstToy
Those seats won't be any safer than stock will they?
Anyway, your truck and seats will be stolen the day after you put them in!
Thats for sure!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:39 PM

My opinion says that those seats are bad AZZZZ!
Old 11-05-2003, 03:49 PM

yea torino's are bad ass. One of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. But I'd have to say go for a 3rd gen as well.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:57 PM

96Runner is selling his pristine 96 soon
Old 11-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

or do both! say the seats and air bag would be even safer!
also if the harness were DOT approved then you could use them right?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

A harness is great but,

Hey don't get me wrong I would love to put some in mine but, if you look at selling yours and getting a 96 for a a few thousand more, you would definitely be safer.

A harness is good but it isn't a ton more than what a seat belt is designed to do. The newer technology, crumple zones etc. is more likely to save you along with the airbag. Look at the safety ratings on the vehicles (yours and a newer 4runner). It doesn't take much to see that you would be a bit safer w/ the harness but much safer w/ the airbag and a newer (usually) safer car.
The key is that allthough a harness will keep you a bit tighter in the seat, it would be terrible to be hit head on and have your legs broken because the older car didn't impact as well as a newer runner might have.
Remember, most cars w/ Sparcos have cages.

my .02

I like the Torinos though.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:36 PM

Yeah, all you guys are right, honestly, i still love my runner soo much and this is the first time my parents have been willing to spoil me with my car, for sooo ong its been such a fight, i fix everything on it because of you guys and the constant pain in the ass it is to tell my parents that i need money to fix it! and my mom is so crazy about my safety that she even said that this could be a temporary fix and that when i graduate i could get a new 4runner (96-98) and keep mine as well, soo then i would have my cake and eat it too!

I really am excited about those seats though eventhoughit is pretty ridiculous, and i will definately check the laws about it as well.
thanks alot!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:40 PM

A 4-point harness is very dangerous to use unless you have a roll cage installed. The reason for this is that in a rollover if the roof is crushed you can slide sideways to escape getting your head and spine crushed if you have a 3-point system. With a 4-point system your upper body is immoveable and you won't be able to slide to the side.

Regardless, if you decide on new seats I'd look at Corbeau, same look a lot better price.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chalk me up in the "get a 3rd gen" category and save the money on the seats.