Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

not starting

Old 01-10-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry not starting

I have a 96 4runner that will not start. I just pulled into the garage one evening and when I went out the next day it wouldn't start. It turns over and sounds like it wants to start, but doesn't. So far we have checked the fuel system relays & timing belt. We changed out the fuel pump (we feel like the engine is not getting enough fuel. We also checked the plugs and they are giving a spark.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Will
Old 01-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Banned

Change the fuel filter yet???
Old 01-10-2004, 08:14 AM

Not yet, that is getting done this afternoon. If it was a problem with the fuel filter, wouldn't I get some hesitation or sputtering prior to it not starting? Just an afterthought, when we changed the fuel filter, we removed the clamps on the gas lines going to the engine and there was no gas in them. I would have thought there would have been gas left in the lines.

Thanks for the response,

Will
Old 01-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Banned

sounds like a clogged line or bad pump... maybe a clogged tank. May have to drop that puppy and peek inside. It does have gas in the tank right?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:55 AM

96 and newer have ODB II interfaces to the ECM codes.
I would start there after finishing the fuel filter change.

Shoot a little (and i do mean a little) ether into the throttle body and try to start it. If it works then fuel is the key problem. If not, then it's something beyond the fuel system.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:57 AM

We dropped the tank when we changed the fuel pump last night. Let me tell you, there's plenty of gas in there. We dropped it with 3/4 tank of gas...not the most fun thing I've ever done. The new fuel pump is either not working or there is some other problem.

Will
Old 01-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

No gas in the lines and an almost full fuel tank sounds like there is pump problem because it is obviously not getting the right flow of fuel.

I agree with amusement, put a little ether or some sort of starting fluid in and see if it fires...if so then you know the fuel is not flowing.

Fink
Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 AM

Is there a chance that the electrical going to the fuel pump has gone bad? It still doesn't expain the flawless performance of the truck and then dead as a doornail. Is there anything other than the fuses and relays for the EFI that we should look at?

Again, thanks for the responses,

Will
Old 01-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Banned

Could be the wiring went bad... check w/ voltmeter.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Forgive my ignorance but what is an ODB II interface and what are ECM codes? My father is the amatuer mechanic in our family. I'm learning as I go.

Will
Old 01-10-2004, 10:03 AM

Same thing happened to me. Seems very simple but go check your battery. Mine was bad somehow and now it cranks right up.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned

How many miles on that rig... timing belt is ok????
Old 01-10-2004, 10:20 AM

About 115K. We checked the timing belt (it was the first thing I thought of too) and it is fine.

I really appreciate the responses to my question. I didn't expect to have this much input.

Will
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 AM

Not long ago, same thing happened to me too. It turned out to be my starter. Contact was worn out. Here is the part # 28226 - 54340. My Runner also 96' so they should use same part#. I hope this help.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:36 AM
CTB

Originally posted by jethro358
Same thing happened to me. Seems very simple but go check your battery. Mine was bad somehow and now it cranks right up.
Hey jethro, where are from here in SC?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:38 AM

I have not really considered the starter because it went out about 10K ago and we changed it. Can the starter still be bad if the engine is turning over? When you turn the key the truck sounds normal. After it cranks a few times it sounds like it "bogs down". You can back off the key and turn it again with the same results. Normal sounds of the engine turning over then the same struggle.

Will
Old 01-10-2004, 01:35 PM

CTB, I live in Charleston.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:54 PM

The turning over good, then bogging, makes me think that the battery is not up to snuff, and if that can cause it not to fire as one post suggested, then the battery may be the fault.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by satexas
I have not really considered the starter because it went out about 10K ago and we changed it. Can the starter still be bad if the engine is turning over? When you turn the key the truck sounds normal. After it cranks a few times it sounds like it "bogs down". You can back off the key and turn it again with the same results. Normal sounds of the engine turning over then the same struggle.

Will
No your starter is fine, ignore that post. Same with the battery (quick check with a voltmeter.....should be about 12.5V to be good). Good suggestions but they are probably not the cause as you have described.

If you have no fuel pressure your pump is not flowing fuel. Best way to verify is that after cranking for a bit, pull a spark plug and smell it. If you smell gas then likely it is an ignition problem. Since you said it had spark I would be fairly certain that fuel delivery is the issue. Check anyway just to be sure!

Have you checked all your fuses to make sure one is not blown?
There are fuses under the dash and under the hood (check both).
I am pretty sure one controls the pump.

If no fuses are blown, then get a voltmeter and check power to the fuel pump.
If the pump has power then it is the pump that is faulty.
If there is still no power you will need to get a wiring diagram and find out why.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-10-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by satexas
Forgive my ignorance but what is an ODB II interface and what are ECM codes? My father is the amatuer mechanic in our family. I'm learning as I go.

Will
OBD stands for On Board Diagnostic and that is how a mechanic "talks" to the on board computer that the 4runner has. There is an OBD II connector on every car 1996 and newer. I love to use mine (see in my signature) and if you have a PDA I highly suggest to get one like that. It can save you tons of $$$$ and time when your truck breaks down. Yes, it can even check fuel pressure. It is a bit expensive at $200 but it is the most valuable tool in my toolbox.....bar none!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: not starting