Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Noisy 3rd gen

Old 11-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy 3rd gen

I've noticed lately that my engine is getting louder, not the overall engine noise, but it sounds a little like valve noise...it ticks a lot, not as bad as the 3.0 in my 2nd gen but, its definitely pretty noticeable...are valve adjustments worth the cash on these, would that help any?

I haven't tried running Premium in her yet...with gas prices lately, ATM card just wouldn't let me hit the button...

What do you think? Maybe injectors, never heard of that but thought I'd ask, sounds more like noisy valves.

Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Banned

Ive got the same problem! bump for some heeeeelp :cry:
Old 11-02-2005, 06:45 PM
lee
Contributing Member

is it really that loud? ive got ticking but its not very loud at all...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lee
is it really that loud? ive got ticking but its not very loud at all...
ohh..it willll get louder!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

It's not loud just driving around town but when you come up next to a curb or a wall you can really hear it, maybe its just the acoustics or something but I can hear it over my Vortex when I'm inside the car and it's pretty loud. I've never listened from a distance though.

Fink
Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

See -> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=sound+clips

Dealer said it was the valves and needed a valve adjustment. I kind of believe that because its coming from the engine (kind of behind it, somewhat, sorta) and it seems the first thing to try.

Maybe my valve adjustment is covered by extended warranty, don't know yet. My ticking is getting worse so maybe if something breaks they'll fix it.

As for being wrong, the only other thing that I find tickable around the engine where my noise is coming from are fuel injectors (which I don't know how to check - anyone?) and the fpr, which isn't a ticking problem on 3rd gens that i know of, might be wrong though.

If anyone else has more insight into this, it would be great because I really wanna get rid of the ticking...too annoying.

Also, I wanted to ask you guys if you have noticed any change in engine noise when you started noticing the ticking...like the engine whines more?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm...have you tried running Premium gas in it to see if that calms it down any?

I am thinking valves or injectors, really the only sensible things I can think of. Plugs were done about 7k ago so I doubt they just suddenly got loose, but I could check them.

If anybody else has any other ideas please let me know!

Thanks for all the input so far!

Fink
Old 11-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Premium gas won't have any effect on valve lash.

If the noise is really loud, I'd suggest finding a mechanic that specializes in diagnosing NVH problems. You might need to have the valve clearances adjusted.

Fuel injectors are solenoids, so they make a clicking sound just operating normally.

Keeping good clean oil in the engine, can dampen valvetrain noise a bit.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I get my oil changed every 3000k miles religiously and use Mobil 1, I doubt I am having oil issues, I will check it tomorrow and see if that might be it.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow morning to pick up some parts so I might ask them how much a valve adjustment would run and ask them what they think it could be.

Thanks, more ideas are welcomed!

Fink
Old 11-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I get my oil changed every 3000k miles religiously and use Mobil 1, I doubt I am having oil issues, I will check it tomorrow and see if that might be it.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow morning to pick up some parts so I might ask them how much a valve adjustment would run and ask them what they think it could be.

Thanks, more ideas are welcomed!

Fink
It's not your oil...I run Mobil 1 every 3k-5k miles too and it's always there.

Even though I do know fuel injectors make a regular noise, it's funny how many people say it's normal. New injectors tick but you can't hear them. When they get old they tick more which is NOT normal but not necessarily bad.

Fink...when you go the dealer, be prepared. They'll probably tell you about $600-$800 for a valve adjustment. What I am gonna do is do spark plugs first (mechanic said they are pretty old, and it's visible too) then maybe upgrade fuel injectors (since I plan to get an s/c down the road and it's cheaper than the valve adjust) and then if that doesn't help, then the valves.

If I am lucky, I'll get away with spending < $500, if I am unlucky, I'll spend over $1k but have a truck with new parts...we'll see.

By the way, does your engine sound like a diesel too Fink?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

any updates?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

I have the same noise - which became more pronounced after headers. No affect on performance though. Probably in need of a valve adjustment, like you mentioned. I don't feel like it right now.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be an exhaust manifold leak? That can make a ticking noise.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

I'm still not sure on this yet. I talked to my dealer and he said that a valve job would be the absolute LAST thing I had done. He said from the time the 3.4 was introduced til now he has only done one valve adjustment and that was because the motor was shot and needed to be completely rebuilt.

Weird thing is it's a constant noise, it's not louder at certain times or softer at certain times...it's just a constant ticking noise.

Still thinking about running Premium through one tank and see if that quiets it down a little...I know on my old 2nd gen that helped a lot, not sure about ont he 3.4 though.

Fink