Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newbie having issues with an 89 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie having issues with an 89 pickup

Hi everybody, I'm new here to the forums, and new to toyota 4x4's, and need some advice. I just recently bought an 89 toyota 4wd,22re,5-spd with 140k on it. It has recently had a reman head, new alt,starter,clutch and tune-up. I purchased it for $1500, was told it only needed a tps. I'll skip all the non-related stuff, here's my most important issue: The truck has a constant high idle, I have backed out the dashpot and backed down the idle screws, and it's still high. When the brake lights are activated the idle surges, told that the ecm cuts the fuel when idle is high and brakes applied. Now, I rerouted all the vacuum lines, because the previous idiot,er,owner had them all wrong, and I checked the entire truck for vacuum leaks, to find none. I've run two cans of seafoam in the tank and a bottle of prestone synthetic cleaner, and it has not helped. So, any ideas on what could be causing this fast idle? Also, I've replaced the thermo-switch and thermo-sensor, but my coolant gauge still doesn't work, could that cause any other problems, or is the gauge just a gauge( no other signal to ecm or anything). Is the valvetrain normally loud in these engines? My lifters are just damn noisy with their clicking. Thank you everyone for any and all help!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Check the throttle cable and make sure it isn't adjusted too tight. That was my problem.

:bounce2:
Old 08-21-2004, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I checked that , forgot to mention that, throttle cable isn't tight at all, and the tps I installed is adjusted properly, this thing is giving me fits, and I have no codes from the ecm. Last code I had was the knock sensor, but some genius before me had jammed the connector in the wrong way, so thats resolved. Wondering if the vacuum lines being all crossed up could have screwed something up. I'm grasping for straws here trying ot figure out why my idle is such a mess. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Did you pull the EFI fuse for 10 minutes and let the computer reset? If not, try that.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ripcurl
Hi everybody, I'm new here to the forums, and new to toyota 4x4's, and need some advice. I just recently bought an 89 toyota 4wd,22re,5-spd with 140k on it. It has recently had a reman head, new alt,starter,clutch and tune-up. I purchased it for $1500, was told it only needed a tps. I'll skip all the non-related stuff, here's my most important issue: The truck has a constant high idle, I have backed out the dashpot and backed down the idle screws, and it's still high. When the brake lights are activated the idle surges, told that the ecm cuts the fuel when idle is high and brakes applied. Now, I rerouted all the vacuum lines, because the previous idiot,er,owner had them all wrong, and I checked the entire truck for vacuum leaks, to find none. I've run two cans of seafoam in the tank and a bottle of prestone synthetic cleaner, and it has not helped. So, any ideas on what could be causing this fast idle? Also, I've replaced the thermo-switch and thermo-sensor, but my coolant gauge still doesn't work, could that cause any other problems, or is the gauge just a gauge( no other signal to ecm or anything). Is the valvetrain normally loud in these engines? My lifters are just damn noisy with their clicking. Thank you everyone for any and all help!
Chek your coolant level, if it is low or you have an air pocket it will cause a high idle!

Good Luck!
* Harry *
Old 08-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

did you do the head yourself? recently i was looking at a 91 runner 4banger 5spd that idled high also. the guy tried all kinds of fixes to get it to idle properly, turns out the head gasket was folded over on the front cylinder. he replaced the hg and the idle came right to specs, after he reset everything from previously fiddling attempts. hope that helps.

lee
Old 08-22-2004, 07:07 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
When my 90 SR5 V6 hit about 143k miles the exact same thing started happenning. I mean exact same thing!! (good description of the fault) I had it taken to several mechanics and after buckets of money and countless attempts to repair it my present mechanic arrived at the solution. He's a former dealer mechanic who went out on his own and knew exactly what the problem was right away. 4give the longwinded build up. The problem is your cold idle/start valve. I may have mispronounced that part name but those in the know will understand what I'm talking about. It is an expensive component that is integrated into a lager part of your intake manifold. I can only assume that they used a similar set up on the 4 cyl trucks as the 6 cyl trucks and runners. Well I can tell you that the new part from the dealer was in the neighborhood of $600. My guy found one at the salvage yard for like $100 or $150 and it fixed the problem right up. we'll see how long it holds out. 10k miles already. I can almost guarantee that's your problem Bro.
best of luck and welcome to the board.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:57 AM

Head was done before I got it, I did a exhaust gas check on the radiator and a pressure test, and nothing, head is fine. I'm gonna replace all the vacuum lines today, just for my benefit, but I have a feeling its that idle air valve...(hope it isn't,lol)
Old 08-22-2004, 11:49 AM

hey i would put my money on the idle valve ( i just call it the choke) i have an 89 22RE and it will idle hight once in a while so i just leave it but mine goes away so i would try that.
cody