Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Mods Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mods Results

My newest mods are the Amsoil air filter and the Intake Silencer Removal mod, which is found in the tech secion of this site. Yesterday I went to a local muffler place and told the guy what I wanted to do. He looked at me, trying to figure out what the hell I was talking about, so I showed him the intake silencer under the hood. He took a 2.5" diameter chrome exhaust tip and cut it to 5.7" long. Then I had him expand it to about 2.7" on both sides. It fit snugly even without the hose clamps. Also, because it was chrome on the outside, I'm assuming it won't need powder coating. There is raw steel inside though, so maybe I should. What do you all think? Well, it ended up being $20, but only because I chose the chrome tip to try to save on powder-coating, but maybe that was worthless. And then I had to re-rout my FPR hose. The write-up by Dr. Z on th tech page that was supposed to be for '99-'01 4Runners said I needed to reconnect the FPR hose by tapping into another air pressure hose that connected to a nipple on the intake manifold. On my '01 however, there was no initial hose on that nipple, only a stopper, so all I did was stick the FPR hose right on the nipple. Anyone else with an '01 done this and found this out too? Well, here's the exciting part: when it was done and paid for, I pulled out onto the road and pushed it pedal-to-the-metal until about 50 mph, but when I did it, my rear wheels lost traction! Obviously, as before they wouldn't spin, I increased torque and HP. My estimate is 7-14 HP and 10-20 lb/foot of torque were gained. I might get it dynoed sometime soon to find out the validity of my predictions, but if I do I'll be sure to report back. On another note, my exhaust sounds more "rumbly" especially at low RPMs. I think it's an easy but very lucrative mod, so do it! Right now!

Zach
Old 04-06-2003, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Re: New Mods Results

Originally posted by White SR5
My estimate is 7-14 HP and 10-20 lb/foot of torque were gained. I might get it dynoed sometime soon to find out the validity of my predictions, but if I do I'll be sure to report back.
thats seems like a wild guess. youre not gonna get the full effect until your ECU adjusts anyways. the amsoil filter doesnt give you any noticable power IMO, so if youre guessing that the ISR gave you those numbers i would challenge your predicitions. did you have your truck dynoed before the mod?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:58 AM

Amsoil ISR Dech Plate

Well overall mods to the intake area are the Amsoil (yeah I agree with you that it didn't give any noticable difference, maybe 1 or 2 HP), the Deck Plate mod., and the ISR. I have a Jardine 2.5" cat-back exhaust too but I wasn't considering that in the estimate. I guess I should have added that I had the deck plate mod. too incorporated in the estimate, but that I did that one almost 6 months ago, so it wasn't really new news. I might bring the intake silenceralong whenever I get it dynoed and then have them test it with that as well. It'd be interesting to see some concrete results.

Zach
Old 04-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Away

I think those numbers are well within the realm of possibilities. Just because you did feel that much of a difference Ryan, doesn't mean that other people's trucks won't respond more favorably to this mod. You have 33" tires an automatic tranny, and haven't re-geared yet, so that affects your results by quite a bit. You have more rolling mass to turn and less torque available to turn those larger tires.

Also, Zach has a tuned exhaust system, where you only installed a muffler in place of the stocker. Zach has more of an advantage than you to realize the full effects of the ISR mod. I noticed a large increase in torque and power when I finished the mod and again when I installed the deckplate. I too have a full exhaust system installed and not just a muffler.

I've gone back and forth a few times between having the silencer in and out along with the deckplate in and out. The ISR w/ deckplate open makes a lot more power than the stock configuration or any other combination of intake mods that I have tried on my truck, YMMV.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 04-06-2003, 10:00 AM

Exclamation The Pics!

Here's some pics of the ISR mod. I got done:

And here's a couple pics of the FPR hose that I connected to the nipple on the intake manifold:

I'm very pleased with it!

Zach
Old 04-06-2003, 10:36 AM

Wow zach, that is a pretty good job you did there! and I might add, a VERY clean engine! I might be doing this mod next, as I just finished the deckplate, and rear diff breather mods!

I love the deckplate!

~mike
Old 04-06-2003, 10:52 AM

Talking Hehee

Hehe, actually that's a pic of it dirty. I try to keep it clean. In SC, it's pollen season now so EVERYTHING has this light dusting of yellow pine pollen. I really hate it, and don't understand how it gets in my engine bay, but that's that I guess.

Zach