Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

"New" Mod idea - Redline water wetter

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"New" Mod idea - Redline water wetter

A while back, I used Redline Water Wetter in a couple of my vehicles. I am planning on doing this mod next to my 4Runner. I was wondering if one of the guys on here with the SMT-6 software and/or accurate engine temp monitoring equipment would be willing to try this out. I think it works. Here is the technical information on the product.

Let me know what you guys think. It just might by some extra ponies. I would even be willing to send it free to someone with SMT-6 equipment. Dr.Z, you listening?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:53 PM

Oh.. at first sight of the topic, i thought it would be a guage to measure the how high the water level is relative to your truck (for you river crossers).
Old 04-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pinoy
Oh.. at first sight of the topic, i thought it would be a guage to measure the how high the water level is relative to your truck (for you river crossers).

I dont want to find that one out. Maybe Firefytr with his snorkel, but not me!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Away

Are you talking about using the BR-2 OBDII Analyzer to monitor any changes in the engine temp with a before/after comparison? I'm kinda confused why you're mentioning the SMT-6...

I've used the Redline Water Wetter in several of my vehicles, inlcuding my 4Runner. I do it more for peace of mind than anything else. I don't currently have any in the cooling system since I flushed and refilled when installing the FLX-210. I'll take some measurements with my BR-2 and then add some water wetter and take measurements again and post the results. It'll probably be a few days before I can grab that info.

I'll post here when I've got results.

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 04-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Are you talking about using the BR-2 OBDII Analyzer to monitor any changes in the engine temp with a before/after comparison? I'm kinda confused why you're mentioning the SMT-6...

Ok, that thing! I knew there was some type of acronym that applied to the software and monitoring you do on your Runner.

BR-2. I got it now. Yes, please let us know. I am very curious!

Thanks Z
Old 04-18-2003, 05:05 PM

I've used the Water Wetter on my turborunner, and I think it helped. I plan on putting it in the '94 when I flush it in the summer. So, I would like to see what the results of the testing are also.

Salue
Old 04-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Not that this is really the place to discuss this, however, I just signed on as a Red Line distributor so if you guys need anything let me know!!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:18 PM

From my reading of water wetter's use it is for people who run straight water without coolant and is used to prevent hotspots in the coolant system, ergo, it is repetitive and redundant (haha) if you are using a water/coolant mix. However, on their webpage it states it's for plain water and glycol coolant. So I would be very interested in testing results for a water+glycol+WW coolant mix.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:31 PM

What is it you are thinking you are going to see with this test?

The idea behind the water wetter is that it is supposed to have a more efficent heat transfer from the engine to the coolant.

I guess if it works the coolant would be hotter as it is absorbing more heat, but it won't because the temp of the coolant is thermostatically controlled so it won't be hotter. In the end you are not going to see any difference with this test, well unless I am wrong.

Now, that does not mean that the stuff is not doing what it is supposed to do. I think a better test would be a dyno test, not measuring the temp of the coolant as it is controlled by a thermostat.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 04-18-2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
What is it you are thinking you are going to see with this test?

The idea behind the water wetter is that it is supposed to have a more efficent heat transfer from the engine to the coolant.

I guess if it works the coolant would be hotter as it is absorbing more heat, but it won't because the temp of the coolant is thermostatically controlled so it won't be hotter.
Gadget
The thermostat controls the minimum temp of the coolant not the max, so if the coolant mixture is more efficient at heat transfer it could potentially cool the block more by absorbing more heat.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:52 PM

Yep, right, but it still is not going to be less then the thermo set point so it is unlikely that the gauge is going demonstrate a good test or not. The bottom line is whether the engine makes more power and you are not going to see that on the temp gauge, well unless you have that super dooper SMT temp gauge...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 04-21-2003, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Gadget-

I was thinking in terms of affordable testing. I am sure the HP increase, if any, would not be sufficient enough to show on the dyno. And, by that time, you would have dropped a good chunk of change on dyno runs. So, I figured the guys with the montoring equipment already installed could come up with something. As for the coolant temp dropping in conjunction with a thermostat...hmmm, good question.

I am sure Dr Z could show some supporting data one way or the other.

I guess I was just throwing it out there. Seems like a good investment to me ($7).

Later.