Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New here, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, need some help

Hi I’m new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help from the tech's here. I have read some of the forums and have tried to gather some information on the problem.

Lets start of with some info:
I have a 96 4Runner V6 Limited 4x4
I noticed after getting a new tank of gas that my car was driving I little different. It would hesitate off the line and would stutter sometimes around 40 - 50 mph. Then my orange check engine light came on a few days ago. I went to AutoZone to have the code checked and they told me it was a P0303, which they told me that the PCM has determined that a misfire has occurred in cylinder #3. I have also noticed a puttering noise coming from I think is the exhaust. When I'm at idle the car will sometimes stutter and the rpm will jump around from 800 - 1100. I thought it might be the gas so I tried putting a fuel and injector cleaner into the gas and topped it off with Exxon supreme. But for now I still have the same problem but it is not as bad after putting in the injector cleaner.

I purchased the car used about 2 years ago with 140,000 miles on it. Right now it has 170,000 miles and I really don't know the maintenance history on the car. I hope that this is enough info, please let me know what I should do next. Thanks in advance from a newbie....

Peace
Old 06-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, your name is almost the same as mine. I just got mine changed today (thanks again) so it would match my IM screen name.

Anyways, when was the last time you had a tune-up? It may be time for new plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. With that many miles you may want to go ahead and do the fuel filter too. I would do that first and then go from there. After you do the tune-up you will need to have the code cleared from you computer at Autozone.

As for being a newbie, everyone has to start somewhere. We're typically pretty nice to newbies on this site. There's a few other sites out there that will flame the crap out of you.

I'm no tech, but this should be a start.

Welcome to the board!
Old 06-21-2003, 10:52 AM

thanks for the recommendations, I will start with the fuel filter and go from there.....

peace
Old 06-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Ag4Runner
thanks for the recommendations, I will start with the fuel filter and go from there.....

peace
Oops, I could see how you misunderstood me. I think you should do the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap first. I doubt the problem is the fuel filter because it is a misfire in only the #3 cylinder. The fuel filter is supposed to last forever but it will eventually get clogged up. The fuel filter is also one of those maintenance things which is why I suggested it. I don't know how hard the fuel filter is to do n the 3.4L but the 3.0 is a PITA.

Doing the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap isn't all that hard to do. Make sure that you use GENUINE Toyota parts. Otherwise when you take it to the dealership they will say that the aftermarket stuff is the problem and will want to replace it first before they do anything else. I've learned this the hard way.

Good Luck

Old 06-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Contributing Member

no cap and rotor on the 3.4 he he. is the ce light still on?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:17 AM

Still working on it

So far I had the Check Engine Light reset and changed out the fuel filter, but still have the same problem. I will look into the spark plugs today...wish me luck. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions and thanks in advance.

Peace
Old 06-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

so the ce light didnt come back on? how many miles have you driven since this happened?

im hoping its just a wire or plug issue, it could also be the coil pack on the #3 cylinder.

what you are also describing is inline with 3.4's blowing headgaskets. always #3 too, i dont get it. an easy way to rule the hg out is to pull the oil cap and look at the inside of it for anything that resembles mayonaise, also look inside the valve cover for anything like mayonaise, and check the dipstick. also make sure that you havent lost any coolant.

you can rule out the hg before buying any parts, and then go from there to the spark thing. good luck.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:12 PM

fixed it

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. It turned out to be the spark plug in #3. It was really discolored and look to have a stress line in the ceramic body of the plug. Also the coilpack look to be abit discolored as well, should I go ahead and replace that as well. The car seems to run really well right now though.
thanks

Peace
Old 06-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

you are ready to go man, dont worry about the coil if the miss is gone.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:50 AM

I have the same problem with the same code (p0303)... I swapped all of the plugs last night and it seemed to make things a little better, but the misfire is still there under heavy accelleration.
Fortunately I have a cheap code reader that I can use to troubleshoot. My plan is to move the coil from the #3 cyl to the #1 cyl to see if the misfire moves with the coil.

I have a couple of questions..

1) Is there a particular site online that I can get good prices on Toyota OEM parts?
2) I have a Chilton manual for my truck (98 4runner v6), it states the following is the firing order, is this correct?

Pasenger side Driver side

5 6
3 4
1 2

Front of the truck

Am I correct in assuming the code p0303 refers to the #3 cyl in the firing order?

I just hope it not an issue with a head gasket or compression loss in the cyl...

Thanks for any help...

-e
Old 12-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

OE Toy parts that are cheaper than dealer....www.partznet.com
Old 12-02-2004, 03:23 AM

Thanks for the link..

Any other comments as to what could possibly be wrong, troubleshooting, steps etc?

Thanks,
-e