Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New to the forum…

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum…

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and am also looking for my 1st truck. I am looking for a 89-94 Toyota Extra Cab, 4x4, v6, 5spd. I need a daily driver so I can park my Mustang. I’ll also want to do a little off roading every once in a while.

Just have a few questions for now. 1st, what’s with all the stripe packages? I’ve seen quite a few different ones in my search for a truck. Do they signify anything? What’s the SR5 package? What type of gearing did these trucks come stock?

When someone ask me what to look for in a classic Mustang, I can tell them a million things I wish I had known before I bought mine. Any of you wish you knew this or wish you got that?

Do you guys have a picture thread of your trucks? I tried the search engine but didn’t find anything.

I’m currently looking at two trucks. What do you guys think about these?

1, 2

I plan on a 2in lift + new wheels and tires. Exhaust, K&N filter, the common stuff. Who knows what will happen once I get one. Probably have another expensive hobby.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Hey man, welcome to the board. Basically with the stripe packages, the SR5 version was the upgraded version. I had a 92 PU 4x4 ext cab just like the truck in your first pic (except mine was white). I'm not really sure if there was much of a difference between the SR5 and the regular Pickup except for the amount of stripes (seems the SR5 had a lot more than mine). The only thing to look out for with the 3.0 V6 is the headgasket. There was a recall on the headgaskets for many of the 3.0. I had to get mine replaced twice when I had my truck. Make sure you take that truck to a dealership and see if the recall was done on it before you buy. Some people never had a problem with the headgaskets in their truck, but from my experience it was a nightmare. The first time the recall was done on mine was at 67K miles and then I had to get it redone at about 110K miles. Toyota paid for it both times, but it was just a major hassle which I never want to have to go through again. Anyway, keep the questions coming and guys will start chiming in to help. I know there are a lot of guy who know a lot more about these year models than I, so hopefully they'll give some input.

Last edited by Jonathan; 04-04-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:33 AM

Welcome aboard! I believe the difference in stripes is just that, it was something they put on their trucks as an option (I think for a while they did it too all trucks), and the original owner would then choose the stripe design. The SR5 monochre basically gives you a slightly nicer truck, though I am not sure of the exact options.

I for one wish I had known what an SR5 was, and the fact that I wasn't getting one (woulda saved me $500 easily), and I wish I had known the truck was carbureted and not fuel injected Oh, and I noticed one of the trucks has ranchos, not sure what type, but I know mine are pretty stiff, because of the light backend trucks have. But, if you are going to do a suspension lift, you might switch out for bilsteins or something else anyhow, or if you get a hatch to go over your bed, it should even the ride out.

As for you, when you get a truck and you're looking at lifts and tires and such, do searches, you will find a plethora of information, thes pros and cons with certain company's products, how they handle different things (like tires and snow/rain/ice, or shocks and their on and off road characteristics). For pictures, click the little pull down at the bottom and scroll nearly to the bottom, you will see the trucks, 4runners, and landcruisers broken into different categories, according to year.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 04-04-2004 at 11:36 AM.