Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New to the forum, need some advice on a lift kit for a 93 2WD Pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum, need some advice on a lift kit for a 93 2WD Pickup.

Hey everyone, new to the forum. I have a stock 1993 toyota 2wd pickup that I wanted to give a 1.5-2" lift to so I can fit some 235/75R15 tires.

I was looking at this kit...

They also have this kit which is the same thing but comes with shock extenders

Is this a good kit? Do I need the shock extenders or no? It would save me $40 to get the kit without them.

Second question is will the stock shocks work with this? Or do I need to buy new shocks? I may end up replacing the shocks either way because it has a REALLY rough ride. I was looking at these KYB Gas-a-justs, but maybe if I need longer shocks these won't work? I've never done a lift before so I'm just making sure I buy the right stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2WD's are nearly impossible to lift in the front since the torsion bars are on the lower control arms instead of the upper ones. Your best bet is a mild torsion bar crank and maybe some BJ spacers.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mct75
2WD's are nearly impossible to lift in the front since the torsion bars are on the lower control arms instead of the upper ones. Your best bet is a mild torsion bar crank and maybe some BJ spacers.

2wds are not that hard to lift. The amount of lift achieved is just heavily dictated by how much you want to spend.

To the OP, I can tell you from first hand experience, 2'' of lift will not be enough to fit 235s with out the tires rubbing, a lot. You will need closer to 4'' to get no rubbing on the inner fender wells. at one point I actually had ball joint spacers and cranked up torsions, and still had to do a 2'' body lift to get enough clearance so it didn't rub at all.
I probably wouldn't buy either one of those kits as the ball joint spacers and add a leafs are really all you would need from it and I think they can be found for cheaper elsewhere. You also do not need the shock extenders because the distance between the shock mounts is not changing. If you run an extender, you will fully compress and bottom out the shock sooner in the travel.
There is also an entire forum section for 2wds with lots of threads about how to lift one. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f212/
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM

Robert M. that is great info thank you. What would you do in my situation? the ball joint, AAL, with a body lift? could you recommend products i should buy? thanks again.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 PM

I bought my spacers from http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Products.html and I found a used set of add a leafs on craigslist. I know I have seen the spacers for cheaper but I havent looked for them in a long time so the prices could have gone up.
I also got my body lift from 4crawler.com but now Roger brown ownes both of those companys (and hes also a member on here) so I'm sure if you made a call to him you could get them in one shot. I would search around a little more and see what you can find.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:17 PM

Thanks robert. Installing the spacers and extra leaf should be pretty straightforward, but how about the body lift? I saw the kits on 4crawler. Should i do 1-2-or-3 inch? Like I said, I've never done a lift before so any info will help.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:44 PM

I did a 2'' with front bumper and radiator brackets and it was pretty easy. 3'' will probably require a few other brackets and the shifter extensions. Look on youtube for some good how to videos to install them. I don't have a rear bumper so I didnt need those brackets and the steering shaft had enough slack in it that no extension was needed.
The only issue with doing a body lift comes if your truck is an auto with the shifter on the column.
You will also might have to remove the plastic fender liners and flatten the pinch weld.