95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need Advice on Winch Installation, Suspension, Bumper -- Thank You All

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Winch Installation, Suspension, Bumper -- Thank You All

I need some help from the experts on this board --

Have a 2002 Tacoma Ex Cab, V6, 5SPD
, 4x4, Diff Lock, TRD -- bought brand new in 2002 -- 75K miles. I occasionally carry a Six-Pac Cab-over camper that I also bought new in 2002 -- camper weighs about 1500 lbs dry. Additions to the truck to carry the camper have been: Michelin 10 ply tires capable of inflating to 80 pounds, 1 ton spring leafs on the rear, and rear air bags with a compressor under the hood for inflation -- otherwise it is all stock.

I also have a 1994 Ford Bronco I bought brand new in '93 -- has 234K on the rig with an overhauled engine and transmission about 60k ago. It also has a Warn M12000 winch that I would like to see if it would install neatly on the Tacoma -- I am going to sell the Bronco & keep the Tacoma.

Here are the questions for the experts:

• Is there a bumper that would accomodate this winch?
  • If so, should I be looking at Schrock, TJM, ARB, Calmini, Armorology, Irbis, Rock-Tec, or others?
  • What do I need to do to the stock suspension to bring the rig level when the bumper and winch are installed? Looking for the best solution -- not climbing rocks, or things like that (I've already done all that when I was younger with the older Broncos & Land Cruisers -- Now it is just my wife and I going into the back country, using the camper for a base station for snowmobiling, backpacking, etc.
  • What about an extra battery or heavy duty output alternator -- ideas? -- Is it necessary?
  • Are there any other ideas I may or may not know to ask about?
I like my vehicles to be competent & capable, with a decent appearance -- so I'm not looking to do a radical change -- just want the peace of mind of having a winch when necessary. The Tacoma is an air bag equipped vehicle.

What would you guys do if this was your situation?

Thanks in advance for the help & I look forward to a solution.

Attached are (3) pics.

All the Best,

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Why no Response?

As a new member of this forum, I thought I would ask a simple question and get various opinions from those more knowledgeable than me.

The above question was asked over (3) weeks ago -- no response, no opinions, nothing except 98 reads.

I can certainly find out some information on my own -- but I thought this was a friendly group of Toyota owners who would have some very good information that I could consider when purchasing some parts -- without having to go through the advertising hype when talking to companies.

Did I post in the wrong area? Did I offend someone? Is my post even visible to others? Is there a secret clic or handshake -- or should I just go elsewhere?

I am mystified by the lack of response to what I considered a honest, straight-forward set of questions.

Before I assume that everyone is inconsiderate -- I can tell you that I am still hopeful for a response -- or even someone telling me where to go, or what I did wrong.

Maybe someone will explain the process to me.

All the best,

Fred
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Don't take this personal its a hit or miss sometimes. But it just so happens that these questions are asked every week and with enough searching you would find more than enough information to answer all of them. It seems like you have put a lot of thought into your rigs, now its time to put in the web hours locating all of this, I guarantee you if its not on here it will be on ultimateyota.com, also check your local ttora chapter maybe you'd get a better response. good luck
Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, a M12000 huh.... that might be a tight fit for the pre-fab winch bumpers. I know my M8000 is a pretty tight fit into my TJM T-17.

I had my Alt reworked for higher output at idle by Boyle Future Technology, more info here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...pgrade-162594/

BTW welcome to YT

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Hey there Fred O. I have no experience with any of those bumpers. And I know you said you didn't want to have to listen to all the advertising hype. However, I think you mentioned some quality bumper makers and they would probably know better than the rest of us what their bumpers can fit. As far as the added weight on the front end I know of one simple solution that should work for you. http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53 And in my opinion, any time you are running a significant electrical load in addition to what the factory planned for it is a good idea to upgrade your system with either dual batteries or a larger alternator or both. Hope this is at least somewhat useful.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM

I'll jump aboard on this one...like Dale said...

Your M12000 would probably be too large to for most of those bumpers. You should probably think about a special fab job if you are set on using the winch. Otherwise purchase something like an M8000..the bumper manufacturers should be able to tell you what they'll accommodate.

To accommodate the extra weight and power needed. Running a dual battery setup would be nice to have for your set up with the winch and all. You could also then use it to power other things while out camping with your wife. You can find battery isolator kits just about any where online. In terms of the weight, I'm a big fan of what Old Man Emu has to offer as mine have served me well. Depending on how much you are lifted in the rear, going with an OME 881 setup would be a minimum and would offer you about 1-2 " of lift. The OME 882 setup may in fact work even better as it is rated to hold loads of 240 or more...and would probably push you over 2" of lift somewhere. However it depends on the bumper and winch you go with. Also I don't know how much lift you have in the rear either so you may not like the look if you go more than rear is already.www.trdparts4u.com,4x4connection.com, etc. are good ones to find what you are looking for. I would also then suggest a differential drop for the front axle as well. These run about $40 bucks and you can get them from sonoransteel.com, toyteclifts.com offers them too I think. Just search around.

My $.02

Last edited by Skrillah; 03-25-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that the ARB and TJM bumpers can only accommodate a Warn winch up to 9500lbs. I see that you carry a heavy camper sometimes but I do think the 12000 lb-er is overkill for your vehicle. A snatch block with a 9000lb winch would be a better option for the rare event that you need such a large pull capacity.

Sell the 12 to someone with an F350 or a Ram and get a 9. Plus with the 9, a good heavy duty battery will work just fine on the electrical side of things, no need to upgrade the alternator or anything just for that.

Also, don't worry about the poor response initially, sometimes with the high volume of threads on this site things can get buried pretty fast and not seen again in a matter of hours. 98 views in three weeks is not very much.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:01 PM

Thank You for all the good advice and help -- !

The tips and ideas are greatly appreciated -- Thank You, All...

The reason I was going to go with the M12000 was the fact that I already own it & have only used it 3 times in 15 years. And when I sell the Bronco for whatever its worth -- the winch would be basically given away if left on the vehicle.

But, the way to go may be to get a 8k or 9K Warn & sell the M12000 separately. By the time I get a bumper, beef up the front suspension, buy another winch, do some electrical maybe -- it could go close to $2500, even if I can do most of the work myself.

I am hoping I can sell the Bronco for enough to cover the upgrade.

So, I'll call some of the bumper guys, check with the suspension folks, see what options I have -- and go from there.

I'd appreciate any other ideas and help that anyone might have, also.

Very truly yours,

Fred
Central California