Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Setup

So I have a 99 4runner sr5 that i got last year. its my first toyota and i love it. well I have done all the basics so far like all new brakes, fluids, installed an external trany cooler last week and doing the timing belt and all that goes with that this weekend. I have also done K&N intake, Borla exhaust, and air-raid throttle body spacer as well. well some of the issues im having is I have a cali emissions truck and live in ohio. im also getting the p0420 code recently and have noticed a lose in power and mpg. so i guess my question is do i switch to a single cat highflow system and install some headers or should i just replace the stock cats and not mess with it. the only thing is i want to get the most bang for the buck and horespower i can either way. not sure what to do here and im kinda wanting some suggetions. but either way im not sure what all to do if i go with the single cat set up, and what all i will need to replace?! well with that said i also just finally tinted the front windows today and it looks great i love black on black lol. my next change is going to be the suspension i would love to go with a lift but we all know that fuel is rising and i have two kids to take care of so im wanting to get an awsome ride at stock ride highet for on and off road. i dont go crazy off road just do alot of hunting and hate to have to hike 4 miles in to my spot lol. so im wanting a good shock setup that is going to handle good on road with corners but not limit me to much to my off roading. i was thinking rancho 9000 series because they are adjustable and i do hawl a trailer with the dirt bikes behind me. well anyones help on both these situations would be great. i am a NOB on toyota's but definitely experienced with heavy mod's. thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just wanted to welcome you to the site and to Toyotas. One of mine is 01 4Runner. I think you will love it even more as you go. Im just a stocker so I cant really help you in the upgrade department.

Im not sure of your code. I did learn my lesson on trying to get every drop of gas in the tank. It will run into the overflow and flood out your charcoal canister and give code P0420or P0440, dont remeber which.

You being in Ohio and having rust issues, I would do some searches on here, I think it is around the spare tire area. Apparently that is one drawback on these. But is easily fixed. Just do a coating in that area. Welcome to Toyotas again.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome to yotatech. with the questions you have it would prob net you alot more responses pertaining to them if you changed the title to your issues. i clicked this thread thinking it might be a build thread. but to answer your question, just run a single cat. your hp gains from exhaust mods arent going to be that huge.

Last edited by GranVille-4crawler; 03-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM

well it is a build up lol just not a huge build up sorry for the confusion im wanting some good ideas on these issues im haveing in the build not going to crazy with everything but definitly drive my vehicle like i stole it on and off the road so i want to best options for this stuff. im sure i can read through all these post that everyone has put on here but i still may never get the answers that im looking for. im no dumby but just like a direct answer rather then a general one. thanks for the welcomes from both of you. and your right i love my runner. best vehicle i have owned so far well other then my 76 power wagon sitting on 39's but thats another story for another day lmao.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM

oh yeah and i dont have any rust issues, this one was from PA and i guess they dont use salt like its there damn job like here in ohio!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 AM

personally, I'd take the VIN to the dealer and determine exactly what was original equipment on your 4Runner from the intake to the exhaust. Toyota designed those engines to run one way. Switch back to original equipment and see if that corrects the problem.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM

yeah but with all the issues they have all had i think that it doesnt have anything to do with the it borla and k&n are both good brands and proven. im going to put a guenisses to the test this weekend and see what kinda read outs i get on it. hell for all i know its a leak some where. well i could only hope. but if its a cat or o2 im good with that too aslong as its fixed and the damn light doesnt come back on lol. now for the suspension does anyone have any good ideas what i should do.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 PM

If you search this forum, you'll be able to find out about the code. I believe it is either the O2 sensor or the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). As for suspension, there are a plethora of options available. If you want to stay close to stock height and gain some offroad performance, Sonoran Steel offers a mild lift kit (7.2) that lifts the vehicle only 1.5-2.5 inches up front and 2-3 inches in the rear. I personally have never run their suspension kits, but the research and performance of their kits is reflected all over this website. Their website is sonoransteel.com

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:19 AM

alright well i have done a few more things to the runner recently. put my wheels and tires on. installed a push bar. tinted the front two windows. installed a catch can on the pcv, along with O'ring and rear dif mod. i was going to put a lift on my truck but with fuel prices going crazy and alot of other stuff going on i decided not to. i am going to install some new shocks and need to replace the cats so those two are the next big projects that need to be done. plus i like the ride hieght of the truck now that i went with a bigger tire with my new wheels and tires.

Last edited by dropzone; 04-18-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Merged posts
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Cool 4runner.
Try the return key every now and than, your posts (especially your 1st one in this thread) are hard to follow- paragraphs
Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Smile

Lookin good man! Like the Moderator said though...you may want to use the return key a little, I found it a little difficult to read too.

As for your mild lift:

I see you have a 99 4Runner, and most likely the taller coils. Another option would be to get some top plate spacers for the front of your rig, and some trim packers for the rear....it would give you a very mild lift that would be inexpensive.

I personally went with 3" in the front and about 4" in the back....and love it!

If you're at all interested in more lift, there are some inexpensive ways to do it, that will give you a factory like ride, using Toyota Factory parts! Sonoran Steel sells new parts like these....but the high cost is there. I managed to get ahold of some used stuff, and am very happy with the results.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want a lift take off those terrible running boards and itll look like you got one. unless you just HAVE to have them, like for kids or something