Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

my 4runners Not level!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 4runners Not level!!!

ok i have a 98 4runner and i recently bought a 3" toytec lift. i noticed a couple days after installing the lift that one side seemed lower than the other and now about 3ish months later its clearly noticable that my 4runner is atleast a inch lower on the drivers side. i thought it was just a defective coil or something but then in the shop the otherday i noticed that my rear tire stuck out farther on the passengers side. i think that it is due to a too short of a panhard bar that is throwing the truck off putting more weight to one side and makeing it crooked.

anyone ealse have this problem or know of a aftermarket panhard bars or if i could just do some fab work??
Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i lifted my '99 3.5 inches in back (stock springs have died to 3" since) the axle was not centered, but it was still level... I dont think the bar would make it sit uneven that much... check that your springs are sitting correctly and all is normal in the lift addition. also check that nothing is limiting travel like a boogered up shock, bent rod of somesort, brakes (woulda had a problem by now I guess) or anything else....

If you still wanna adjust the panhard correctly (should IMO), I have a stock one you can use to make a longer one so you dont have to park the 4runner for a few days... (I've offered this thing up a lot.. lol) or sonoransteel.com offers adjustable one...

Last edited by wjwerdna; 03-12-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I was running 6" in the back with a stock panhard and it was still level, but, the axle was not centered.

The only reason that would happen is if you used the wrong coils on the wrong side. The drivers side coils are slightly longer to accommodate the gas tank (supposedly).
Old 03-13-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
The only reason that would happen is if you used the wrong coils on the wrong side. The drivers side coils are slightly longer to accommodate the gas tank.
Yeup... My guess it that you have the coils swapped.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

If you have stock coils, they don't have one longer than the other (sometimes sitting unlevel), but the OME's definately do have one spring longer than the other so if you have these, double check your springs. Make sure you have the longer coil (if there is one) always on the driver's side. If these are stock coils, you may need a spacer to level things off.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-13-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 AM

In stock form, my truck sat lower on the driver's side and it drove me nuts.

A few extras the driver's side has :

- Gas tank
- Front diff
- Battery
- Steering column
- More spring fatigue due to the driver getting in and out often

So on my Downey lift, the top spring seat has an extra 3/8 aluminum spacer.

Like others have said, swap the left/right springs.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm learning about this on this thread now. I don't have a lift, but do have the exact same problem (95.5 4WD Tacoma). My driver's side sags by a little more than an inch, and my rear passenger side wheel protrudes noticably more than the driver's side. I recently had new struts put in, and it seemed to help the driver's side sag a little, but it's still there. Wish I'd told them to switch the coil springs while they had them out of the truck. That didn't even occur to me.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 AM

Well, we sort of figure that Toyota's engineers acually thought of adjusting spring rates accordingly BEFORE putting all the extra weight on the driver's side. Guess they didn't.

Maybe it's because the 4Runner is originally a Japanese model, and they assumed the driver being on the right over there would offset the various added components on the left side.

Just a thought...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:30 AM

if the switched coils are not the problem use 10mm trim packers and maybe a 3/8" spacer for the front. is it the the whole drivers side... or just the front or back??
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jdsdj98
I'm learning about this on this thread now. I don't have a lift, but do have the exact same problem (95.5 4WD Tacoma). My driver's side sags by a little more than an inch, and my rear passenger side wheel protrudes noticably more than the driver's side. I recently had new struts put in, and it seemed to help the driver's side sag a little, but it's still there. Wish I'd told them to switch the coil springs while they had them out of the truck. That didn't even occur to me.
It's the 4runners that have coils in the rear, Tacomas have leaf springs (I don't know if they made one slightly stiffer or not). The front coils should both be the same so switching them shouldn't do much. Use a spacer to level out the front end a bit.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
It's the 4runners that have coils in the rear, Tacomas have leaf springs (I don't know if they made one slightly stiffer or not). The front coils should both be the same so switching them shouldn't do much. Use a spacer to level out the front end a bit.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Since I've got leaf springs in the rear, I thought you guys were talking about the front end. DIdn't even occur to me that you were talking about the rear end in that regard.

Back to the drawing board....
Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

on a older truck its often a good idea to get new springs instead of just adding spacers