Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Missing Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing Cylinder

Hey Everyone,

I'm a brand new member and I am having serious trouble with my 1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5...

It started with of course, the check engine light... It then proceeded to minor shaking off of a complete stop. After that, it hit the point where when I was idling, it was shaking. Everyone said it was the wires or plugs... Changed all of them. Then everyone finally came up with the solution that it was the "coil-packs" or "igniters" that the spark plugs go through. One of them was cracked, so I replaced it, and it worked fine for a while... But then the shaking came back. You can smell the fuel just passing straight through the exhaust. There are 3 coil-packs/igniters for 6 spark plugs. Meaning 1 coil/igniter supplies a spark for 2 cylinders, meaning I'm running off of 4 cylinders.

I also had a weird experience of after an oil change. I'd start the truck and white smoke would shoot out of the exhaust for at least 30 seconds. What is that a sign of? It finally went away after a week or so, but I think something is seriously screwed up.

One more question. For those of you that have an overflow on your trucks that runs from your radiator cap to it, isn't the overflow always supposed to have something in it? Mine keeps emptying itself. If someone could explain what an overflow is used for, that would be really helpful because my truck is so screwed right now...

If you have had a related problem, feel free to respond to this or if you have any idea of what to do, please post.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Jerry
VR-4 Turbo Flip
Old 08-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you have some serious problems. 1st - what codes did the Check Engine light produce? As for missing two cylinders, do you know which two? Once you know, you can trace the electrical back to the point where power reappears (be carefull - very high voltage!!!). The white smoke is either fresh oil or antifreeze leaking into the combustion chamber while the engine is shut down. Probable causes are: bad valve seals, cracked head, or cracked block. Loosing coolant from the overflow jug probably indicates that your smoke is from anitfreeze and that you have a crack somewhere. The cooling system should be under positive pressure, which would force coolant into the overflow jug, not the opposite. Neither should happen if your radiator cap is functioning properly.
I think you need to have a professional diagnosis done by a couple of different mechanics (hopefully, their stories match up).
Best of luck!!
Old 08-12-2003, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Missing Cylinder

Originally posted by vr4turboflip
Hey Everyone,

I'm a brand new member and I am having serious trouble with my 1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5...

It started with of course, the check engine light... It then proceeded to minor shaking off of a complete stop. After that, it hit the point where when I was idling, it was shaking. Everyone said it was the wires or plugs... Changed all of them. Then everyone finally came up with the solution that it was the "coil-packs" or "igniters" that the spark plugs go through. One of them was cracked, so I replaced it, and it worked fine for a while... But then the shaking came back. You can smell the fuel just passing straight through the exhaust. There are 3 coil-packs/igniters for 6 spark plugs. Meaning 1 coil/igniter supplies a spark for 2 cylinders, meaning I'm running off of 4 cylinders.

I also had a weird experience of after an oil change. I'd start the truck and white smoke would shoot out of the exhaust for at least 30 seconds. What is that a sign of? It finally went away after a week or so, but I think something is seriously screwed up.

One more question. For those of you that have an overflow on your trucks that runs from your radiator cap to it, isn't the overflow always supposed to have something in it? Mine keeps emptying itself. If someone could explain what an overflow is used for, that would be really helpful because my truck is so screwed right now...

If you have had a related problem, feel free to respond to this or if you have any idea of what to do, please post.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Jerry
VR-4 Turbo Flip
OK you do have a serious problem!
Your head gaskets need to be replaced immediately.....you are leaking coolant into the comustion chamber which is why your coolant level keeps dropping. If you don't get it fixed right away then you run the risk of massive engine damage later. If you have not done the head gasket recall already then take the truck into the dealer and tell them you want the recall headgaskets installed. They should do it for free. If you have done the head gasket recall then you need to take it somewhere and have them replaced again. Do not drive it very long like that, there is no telling when a trickle of coolant could turn into a flood and decide to empty all at once.....kinda like an old dam braking in some 1950's godzilla movie.

BTW Sorry to tell you this but there are actually 6 coil packs which sit on top of each spark plug and as far as I know it is quite rare for one to go bad (at least in my experience).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-12-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 AM

Re: Re: Missing Cylinder

Originally posted by MTL_4runner

BTW Sorry to tell you this but there are actually 6 coil packs which sit on top of each spark plug and as far as I know it is quite rare for one to go bad (at least in my experience).
Correct me if I am wrong, but there are only 3 coil packs and 3 wires, this is the same as in Toyota service manual diagram.

I also think that the problem you are having is related to a head gasket. The reason for 2 cylinders not working could be related to coolant leak to these cylinders. If there are too much coolant at one time engine block or cylinder head can develop a crack(similar to hydro locking and engine). You need to find the problem
Old 08-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

My vote is for the headgasket also. 1996 had a recall for the headgaskets, so you should definitely look into that. Sorry for the bad news.

Good Luck

Old 08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

look and see if the inside of your oil cap looks like mayonaise...
Old 08-12-2003, 07:06 PM

I also say it is a head gasket problem and maybe other things. Do not drive it at all. You can ruin the engine driving it like that as well as the O2 sensor and cat.

Has your head gaskets been replaced under the recall? If not Toyota should cover the whole job no charge.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-14-2003, 09:34 AM

About the Head Gasket

You said that there was a recall, but I looked it up and it was until 1995 that they had those faulty 4Runner Gaskets... I still need to see if the oil cap looks like mayonaise and need to inspect which cylinders are missing... It is garaged right now, so I wouldn't be able to give specifics on anything...
But thanks a lot for the suggestion and help
Old 08-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

The 96's and some 97's had an external HG leak/design flaw.

Trust us.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:48 AM

Well, it was not a government ordered safety recall. Toyota called it a Special Service Campaign. You can call Toyota or stop by one of your better dealers and given them your VIN and they can look it up to see of your headgaskets had already been replaced under the campaign. If not they should take care of it and if the engine had been damaged they should install a new engine for you.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-20-2003, 09:29 PM

The first thing that I would check is to make sure you installed the DUAL electrode factory plug, if not it causes severe missing. Also the headgasket only leaks on the outside not in the cylinders. The other thing you may want to check is the harmonic balancer bolt to make sure it is tight. Toyota had some that would come off and cause misfire codes. Also if you are losing coolant the first place to look is the water pump. second head gaskets. good luck
Old 08-21-2003, 11:31 AM

Try pulling some of the spark plugs and see what they look like. Often you can tell if you have antifreeze entering the cylinders if they are wet. Once they get wet and fouled they don't fire and you get a misfiring.