Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Making the Switch! Questions...

Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Making the Switch! Questions...

So my old man is the the market for a new truck...has been driving an 87 beater ford F150 well, since about 87. Anyway, the thing engine wise is in excellent shape it's just a rust bucket that he plans only for towing the boat now (the 7 mpg doesn't help for dd...).

Anyway, I think I've convinced him to move to the Tacoma. He is a very knowledgeable and experienced mechanic and knows how reliable Yota's are and how the people who own them usually stay true to them for their life.

He's looking around the 99-2000 range and is wanting the 2.7 but if the price is right the 3.4 is an option (both will have around 115 k probably). It will be a dd and he lives in AK, so there is not really the necessity for a ton of power for this truck since there aren't really any highways over 55 mph...

Being a mechanic, he will be able to pick out the obvious things that need to be worked based on various noises to bring the price down on the truck, but he came to me for some "what to look for" specifics for these engines.

Here's what I could think of (obviously most of these things will have to be visual or audible because you can't really bring your own tools or what not to test various things...ha)

The 2.7
Get the VIN and check with Toyota to see if the frame has been checked
Check the manifold for cracks if original
Check rear leafs (mine cracked and come to find out this was a recall on some Yotas)
Upper and lower bushings
Steering rack leaks, differential leaks, half shafts, etc

The 3.4
everything from above and...
Has the timing belt/water pump been replaced

I'm sure there is more that can be checked so I'm coming to anyone who has been in this situation. Let me know what I missed, and keep in mind these will have to be questions asked or things that can be looked at during a test drive or in the lot...
Old 11-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is too a highway thats over 55 here

The George Parks hwy is 65........only advisable to drive that fast in the summer though
Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Ha yeah you're right.

When I grew up there it was all 55...i guess it's been a few years since I've lived there though. And I was in Homer.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Anyone?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
U joints, leafs flat? air filter oil or not just to see what the individual before was thinking. ask for maintenance records and type of oil used. And look for any modifications!! is there a towing package? check the gear oil this is a gimme!! suspension other than leafs if the leafs are flat then you know they were putting weight in the bed bump stops on front if they are clean then coil overs are likely to need replaced!

I would go in to this with the thought that I am replacing the suspension any how. stock is not so good my only real gripe with them. on the frame just inspect and see if it is rusting and if so call toyota and see if it has been checked if not and the frame is bad and the price is right buy it and take to toyota for the money!! Quick buck!! not every body knows about the recall!! then you have more to spend on another.

Basically the frame and suspension and ujoints amount of lift are the things that a mechanic should look for other than what he should already know to look for!!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:16 PM

yeah I told him all of those things just looking for anything engine specific...or problems these years had. I think I got a good amount covered just looking for anything I bypassed....