Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

louder tranny whine, aluminum flecks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy louder tranny whine, aluminum flecks...

I tried Newbie tech, but didn't get a whole lot of advice. Anybody ever replace just the pump on the tranny?

Been prowling for quite some time and have utilized the knowledge here for OME lift, tire sizes, timing belt change, etc.. I'm hoping someone may be able to help me get more life out of my transmission.

I have a 2000 limited 4runner with 125k on it, 4x4 automatic, bought with 99k two yrs ago. Did a screen change on the tranny after I bought her and haven't had any problems with the transmission. Initial screen looked fine, no metal in the pan at that time. Fluid looked fine, and it stays full.

A couple weeks ago the tranny started to whine, matching rpms, in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Not sure if it happens in higher gears, just hard to hear. Shifts perfect It sounds like a supercharger or something. A low pitched whrrrrr. The whine quiets a bit after warm, but doesn't go away. Only happens when in gear. Took it to a "reputable" tranny shop a couple days ago and they said, "hmm, shifts fine, maybe the noise won't get any louder"...Also the driver said it doesn't sound like the planetary gear, maybe the pump.

Today, I pulled the pan again. Fluid looked fine. There were silver flecks in the pan easily visible in the sun. The screen looked clean. The flecks didn't stick to the little magnets, so I assume it's aluminum shavings. Around six quarts of fluid replaced and the noise is unchanged.

After looking around for options, seems like I have two. Find a used tranny and put it in, or drive until it doesn't drive anymore and then do option one. Seems like I should be able to prevent further damage to a fine running tranny with the right replacement parts, but that doesn't seem like a solution that is common. Most thanks to you all!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by emoto
I tried Newbie tech, but didn't get a whole lot of advice. Anybody ever replace just the pump on the tranny?

Been prowling for quite some time and have utilized the knowledge here for OME lift, tire sizes, timing belt change, etc.. I'm hoping someone may be able to help me get more life out of my transmission.

I have a 2000 limited 4runner with 125k on it, 4x4 automatic, bought with 99k two yrs ago. Did a screen change on the tranny after I bought her and haven't had any problems with the transmission. Initial screen looked fine, no metal in the pan at that time. Fluid looked fine, and it stays full.

A couple weeks ago the tranny started to whine, matching rpms, in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Not sure if it happens in higher gears, just hard to hear. Shifts perfect It sounds like a supercharger or something. A low pitched whrrrrr. The whine quiets a bit after warm, but doesn't go away. Only happens when in gear. Took it to a "reputable" tranny shop a couple days ago and they said, "hmm, shifts fine, maybe the noise won't get any louder"...Also the driver said it doesn't sound like the planetary gear, maybe the pump.

Today, I pulled the pan again. Fluid looked fine. There were silver flecks in the pan easily visible in the sun. The screen looked clean. The flecks didn't stick to the little magnets, so I assume it's aluminum shavings. Around six quarts of fluid replaced and the noise is unchanged.

After looking around for options, seems like I have two. Find a used tranny and put it in, or drive until it doesn't drive anymore and then do option one. Seems like I should be able to prevent further damage to a fine running tranny with the right replacement parts, but that doesn't seem like a solution that is common. Most thanks to you all!

The "whining" part almost sounds like it could be the torque converter. Try a drain and fill and incorporate a bottle of some Lubegard Platinum into ATF mix.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Thanks Chadsy. Lubegard? will check that one out and try it.