Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A little more info on Sylvania SilverStar Headlights/Bulbs

Old 10-28-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little more info on Sylvania SilverStar Headlights/Bulbs

Hey!

I bought a set of 9005ST replacement bulbs for my Toy hauler, a 1998 GMC K2500 w/ the 7.4L

The stock bulbs were really pretty dim, the Silverstars are big improvement for the high beams.

I had a question regarding their use as low beams- the GMC uses the low beams as day time running lights, so I fired off the following to Sylvania:

Dear Sirs,

I have purchased SilverStar 9005ST bulbs for the high beams on my 1998 GMC Sierra K2500. They are a great improvement over stock bulbs! I would like to match them with the 9006ST bulb for the low beam application.

My questions to your company are:

The 1998 GMC has daytime running lights that use the low beam headlight. Are the SilverStar bulbs durable enough for constant useage?

Under this type of useage, how many hours of burn time is ''normal'' for the SilverStar bulb?

Is there another upgrade from the stock bulb, IE: Cool Blue or XtraVision that would be better suited to this application?

Thank You

Mark Longfield
I received the following reply:

Good Afternoon Mark,

Thank you for your web inquiry and interest in Sylvania SilverStars. The SilverStars are a performance, premium halogen that have a significantly shorter life span than the standard. The shorter life span is directly related to the performance nature of the lamps. The amethyst colored coating on the glass contributes to the crisp white light emitted, but also traps heat inside the capsule, causing the filament to burn out more quickly, thus decreasing the life. Expected life is about a year, and is largely dependent upon your individual driving habits. The life of the product is decreased significantly if it is being used in a day time running light application. Estimated life in a day time running light application is at most 6 months.

You could upgrade to CoolBlue. You would receive a longer life than you would with the SilverStar, but you would again suffer a shorter a life than standard. XtraVision is probably your best option.

Please contact me if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Heather Kennett
So, I'll be keeping the SilverStar's for the High Beam's and geting the XtraVision bulbs for daytime/lowbeam useage-

Hope this helps out someone!

Later
Old 10-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

6 months at most huh. Ive had my silverstars on my truck since February. I also have daytime running lights and they havent gone out on me yet. I guess I should start saving up for my next pair.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:19 PM

That's strange. I've had SilverStars on my 2001 4Runner for over a year, and they still work perfectly. My 4Runner has DRL (daytime running lights) as well!

-- Andrey
Old 11-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Isn't the voltage reduced when the headlamps are in "DRL mode"? I don't have DRLs, so I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression that the voltage supplied to the lights is a bit lower than if they were turned on.

Perhaps this is what is helping with the longer life some of you are experiencing. Since there is less voltage, there would be less generated heat.

I am impressed with Sylvania for answering Mark's question so honestly.

-Scott
Old 11-01-2003, 07:40 AM

Good thing I disabled my DRLs... good info though thanks.. I guess ill keep an eye out on my lights still though.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sure the companies guesstimates on bulb life is based on a a formula that they came up with and individual results will vary so we'll have to keep tabs on our bulb life and do some updates in the future. I hope I get more than one year out of 'em or I'll try another option.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I have only had my Silverstars for a little over a month or two now, and honestly I am beginning to not like them. The look of them is great, I love the whiteness, but, the low beam output is just not bright enough for me.

What would be a pretty big step up as far as brightness is concerned? I would also like to keep the crisp white look if possible.

Sorry to jack the thread but figured this was a good time to post my question instead of posting a new thread.

I may just e-mail Syvlania, from the reponse that they gave gives me the impression that they are very helpful there.

What do you guys think?

Fink
Old 11-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4x4Fink

What would be a pretty big step up as far as brightness is concerned? I would also like to keep the crisp white look if possible.

HID.

Check out Reapur's website. http://www.reapur.com/car/

Ziad (Reapur) has had HIDs for at least 1.5 years. He had them before the 2002 CO4RJ, and they were still in his truck for this year's event.

-Scott

Last edited by Sherpa; 11-01-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:16 PM

You could try upgraded wiring to them like 4Crawler has on his site. That will put more energy right at the bulb instead of it getting wasted in the wiring that goes from the battery to the switch and then to the lights. If that doesn't do it then there are other aftermarket bulbs that may suit your needs better. I like the Silverstars but I am considering an upgraded harness as I really am impressed with their output on high beam but low beam could use a little more.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:33 PM

Thats the first I've heard complaints about Silverstar output. Anyone know how it compares to the low beam output on the newer style 3rd gen headlights. I was gonna pick some up in the next couple of days, but you all are making me second guess. Thanks
Aaron
Old 11-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, they are nice bulbs. Its just I live out in the country and on those dark, cloudy nights with no moonlight it gets pretty dark. The high beams have GREAT output, but, as Victor said, the lows could use a boost.

I will probably end up keeping these until they blow...we'll see how it goes.

Fink
Old 11-02-2003, 04:48 AM

Its not that the Silverstars don't put out enough light. They were a huge upgrade over my stock lights. It's just that under certain lighting conditions more light would be very desirable. I don't have any complaints compared to my old stock bulbs and the new ones work great in the rain. I like their crisp cutoff so I can precisely adjust my lights to get the best effect without blinding other drivers. When I was driving to Seattle we drove through the desert at night so there was plenty of light. On the way back we drove through the woods in Nor Cal and boy there is no ambient moonlight coming in with those trees. A little more power on low beam would have been great. I'm going to try the harness to get more power to them and then invest in some driving lights for situations like I mentioned.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

You may want to try the Phillips VisionPlus bulbs. I've been using them for a little over a year now and have no complaints. They are supposed to put more usable light on the road than the Silverstars and from my experience and comparison to a friend's Silverstars the low beams are much better.

http://www.autolamps-online.com/home.htm