Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Leaking Axle Again

Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Axle Again

Hey, what's up? I noticed last year that my axle seals were leaking and I brought the truck to a local mechanic against my better judgement. I usually look at all my own stuff, but I was pretty busy with work. So, the mechanic says he did both the axle seals and charged me around $1000.

Now, a year later, the back driver's side seal is leaking again. I brought it back to the same guy, he doesn't even look at it and now he tells me that the whole axle is no good and it must be replaced since its leakign again.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys would have any input. I'm not going to deal with the mechanic again, so that's a loss. But I don't want to pull the axles and have new seals put on them again to have them leak again. Have any of you guys ever heard of the axle going bad, and if so, which part? Also where can I get a new one, stealership. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Not sure if it matters but its a 2001 Toyota 4runner, the truck sees street action 95% of the time. The axle is the stock Toyota, and the truck has a small lfit on it.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:29 PM

I'm assuming both seals were replaced by the mech?

Did they replace the bearings?

The job is pretty much straight forward and if I were you I'd tackle the project. If the bearings need to be replaced you'll have to take it somewhere to get parts pulled and pressed on the axle but you'll be money ahead. To check the bearings jack up the wheel and grab it. There shouldn't be any play in the wheel/axle assembly. Make sure you do this with the parking brake off.

If the vehicle hasn't been trashed I would say the axle housing and axles are fine. One reason the seals go bad is if heat (and the created higher pressure) can't leave the axle through the vent it blows past the seals. Make sure when you do/have the work done that the breather is removed and cleaned or replaced. I took mine off and soaked it over night and cleaned it. It moves up and down and has spring in it. If it's clogged or doesn't move up and down I'd replace it.

Go to the dealer and buy 2 axle seals and breather if you need one. If the bearings need to be replaced you'll need bearings and ABS rings if so equipped. Your brake linings are probably bad so get new ones along with wheel cyliners if those look suspect. Jack up the vehicle, check the bearings, pull the drums and take a look at what you're dealing with. Make a list, put it back together and go shopping. There are a couple of write ups with part numbers here as well as on Ultimate Yota.

try 4runners.org for a good write up.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks bro, I'll check around for the FAQs, I have never checked the breather, that's probably a good place to start. I'll look into all of this.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Also, they said the ebarings were replaced, but I will check again using your test, and I'll look at the reciepts. As far as being trashed, I do ride the truck hard, but no serious offroading, and it only has 100k on the ticker. Thanks again bro, the 4runners org write up looks pretty decent.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
be sure that the replacement part that were used and will be used is the Toyota factory axle seal which was upgraded after our trucks were built.

The part ends with digit #6-there are many threads on axle seals of course so we could get you more specifics as needed.

Sorry to hear this has happened again to you-the one that did the work now will not stand behind it? You could help others avoid that shop-we are quick to specify by name the ones that do excellent work.

If the brake drums have been contaminated again it is a bit of a job but as you see their are several writeups out there.

Best of luck with this
Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
be sure that the replacement part that were used and will be used is the Toyota factory axle seal which was upgraded after our trucks were built.

The part ends with digit #6-there are many threads on axle seals of course so we could get you more specifics as needed.

Sorry to hear this has happened again to you-the one that did the work now will not stand behind it? You could help others avoid that shop-we are quick to specify by name the ones that do excellent work.

If the brake drums have been contaminated again it is a bit of a job but as you see their are several writeups out there.

Best of luck with this
Thanks for the advice. Repair shops in NJ are notoriously bad, this place is Akar Exxon in Middlesex, and the guy wants to sell me an entire new axle, which is way out of the question. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't what I needed, I'm going to have to crawl under the truck and check out the diff breather, if it looks clogged up, and non-operative then I guess that's the source of my problems so I'll do the seals, replace the breather and clean out the brakes.

Thanks again guys!!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
inner axle seal is like a 10min job now if its the wheel bearings and outter seal gonna have to take that to a shop and have the bearing pressed out should be a 2-3hr job all said and put back together

Last edited by Elton; 02-28-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
also make sure your diff breather isint plugged
Old 02-28-2009, 01:45 PM

i assume yours comes with ABS, there are quite few "non-reusable" parts other than the inner and outer seals you need to replace. i.e.: Bearing Retainer, ABS Speed Sensor Rotor, Snap Ring, 2x gaskets.

i can email you a copy of the fsm,
Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
i assume yours comes with ABS, there are quite few "non-reusable" parts other than the inner and outer seals you need to replace. i.e.: Bearing Retainer, ABS Speed Sensor Rotor, Snap Ring, 2x gaskets.

i can email you a copy of the fsm,
Thanks for the info, on the original reciept I have from the shop it says that the entire axle was rebuilt and lsists all of the parts you mention. This was about a year ago. I got around to looking at it tonight, and there is a fair amount of diff fluid leaking out of the left rear side. The bearings seem very tight, the wheel has no play, so I'm guessing this means the outer seal is bad?

I also pulled off the diff breather and it was pretty well gunked up. I celaned it up and took a pic. Stupid question, but how exactly is the diff breather supposed to work? Is there a spring or something in it? Because none of the pieces move on the one I have.

Thanks again for the help, I guess where I'm at now, is I was going to do this: http://www.4runners.org/writeups/rearseal/index.htm , the outer rear axle seal replacement, and install a new diff breather. Anybody think this should clear up my problem?

Last edited by JHupp; 02-28-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:49 PM

do you know how to bleed your brakes? probably it's a good time to flush the fluid because you will need to bleed all 4 wheels any way.

URD has the Motive bleeder on sale now for $35. you won't be sorry for buying it down the road.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
do you know how to bleed your brakes? probably it's a good time to flush the fluid because you will need to bleed all 4 wheels any way.

URD has the Motive bleeder on sale now for $35. you won't be sorry for buying it down the road.
Yes I do, and I have one already. Thanks!

Anybodyt help me out with my question about how the breather works? And also, assuming the breathers bad should I be able to change the outer axle seal and be ok? Thanks guys!!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 AM

I'm a little confused now, I have 3 questions I'm down to before I tackle my project this week.

1. What is the difference between the inner and outer axle seals. I found this https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...m1_oilseal.htm and this http://www.4runners.org/writeups/rearseal/index.htm They both look like they are describing the same thing, but one refers to it as the inner seal, the other one refers to it as the outer seal.

2. Dumb question, but how does the diff breather work? I have included a pic of mine in the above postings, but it doeesnt seem to have any mving parts.

3. My bearings are fine, the hweel has no play, so If I replace the inner and/or outer seal and the breather should my truck be ok?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
If they pressed a new bearing on did they space it right? In other words, it the seal riding where it's supposed to or did they just put the bearing all the way down the shaft, assuming yours has that odd empty space too, so that the seal's sealing nothing?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM

I know it's a long shot, but I'm assuming it has been done right. The mech told me that he had taken the axle to a reputable axle shop to have it done.

The axle was done in May 2008, and just started leaking a week ago. I also noticed the breather had a lot of junk on it, and even when cleaned it was difficult to force air through. When I do look at it, the seal should be flush against the bearings, right?

Anyway, I'm going to change the seals and the breather, I'm just a little confused on the seals. I'm going to get them from MarlinCrawler so I'll call them tomorrow, but they show two different seals on their page, http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/rear-axle-parts I'm not sure which ones I need whether its the Rear Outer Axle Rubber Seal or the Special Fit Rear AXle seal.

I just want this thing to stop leaking for good, and I'm hoping this fixes my problems. The truck has 100k on the ticker and the original seals last for approcimately 85k, or 7 years without changing the breather. (The shop didnt even bother to look at or clean the breather, so now the breather has 100k or 8 years.