Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keyless entry

Is keyless entry more secure than key entry? I'm not talking about getting into the vehicle more quickly. Rather, is keyless more secure against break ins?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
glenn,

the only difference IMHO, is convenience. the keyless entry works on receiving a signal to trip the relay which then unlocks/locks your door. it won't prevent someone from slim jim'g or simply busting your window and unlocking it.

bob
Old 05-18-2004, 10:30 AM

it is less wear on your key, in older models i believe any yota key fits another yota..not sure if thats the case with newer models..
Old 05-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CLin9383
it is less wear on your key, in older models i believe any yota key fits another yota..not sure if thats the case with newer models..
AND ON THE DOOR! I have looked at several 4Runner over the past couple weeks and all of them have tons of little scratches around the key hole. They really stand out if not taken care of.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by PoBoy
AND ON THE DOOR! I have looked at several 4Runner over the past couple weeks and all of them have tons of little scratches around the key hole. They really stand out if not taken care of.
Those would probably also have worn out ignition switches from all the keys hanging off the ignition key ring.

I stuck a piece of hook and loop tape on my alarm keychain and the other side under the dash. When I drive, I stick them together and it keeps the keys from jangling around and pulling on the ignition key.

I'm hijacking my own thread....
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Scratches around the keyhole. I would think that this would be the least of ones worries.

Sorry, not trying to start anything.
I just thought it sounded a bit strange.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by grams72
Scratches around the keyhole. I would think that this would be the least of ones worries.

Sorry, not trying to start anything.
I just thought it sounded a bit strange.
It's a sign of someone that doesnt keep care of their vehicle. If you can easily avoid it...why not?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Those would probably also have worn out ignition switches from all the keys hanging off the ignition key ring.

I stuck a piece of hook and loop tape on my alarm keychain and the other side under the dash. When I drive, I stick them together and it keeps the keys from jangling around and pulling on the ignition key.

I'm hijacking my own thread....
Haha...good idea. I got one of those quick release key chains and have just the key on one end. So when I drive I can release all the extra keys, fobs, etc...works pretty well.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:07 AM

Good point,

Here in Minnesota we need the keyless entry to keep the children from freezing to the door handle while you fumble to unlock the doors.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
With my 89 4runner, I can start up the engine and open the door with pretty much any key, as long as the key is thin.

Its scary.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:37 AM

the keyless entry sucks on my Tacoma.. you gotta be within like 4ft of the truck for it to work.

yet my moms Corolla (also an 03) will work from like 100ft away
Old 05-18-2004, 11:41 AM

nag, you might want to get new batteries for it. Distance got a lot better when I replaced mine. Keyless rocks!! Get the new ones with a remote start. It also has an lcd monitor on your remote that indicates if you're car is getting broken into.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:42 AM

I tried putting new batteries in both my remotes and neither one was any different

been like that since I bought it
Old 05-18-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
With my 89 4runner, I can start up the engine and open the door with pretty much any key, as long as the key is thin.

Its scary.
What is your address? J/K

Yeah, my previous truck would even start with a Master padlock key. The ignition was really shot. I could take the key out while it was in Run.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
What is your address? J/K

Yeah, my previous truck would even start with a Master padlock key. The ignition was really shot. I could take the key out while it was in Run.
Haha

Yeah, I know, I could do the same. I would be off-roading, and all of a sudden my keys would fly out and land somewhere underneath my gas pedal.

NAGS-- My keyless entry on my 96 Runner is the same way. I have to be within about 10ft of the car for it to work, and I installed new batteries on both remotes ... Weird.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

BTW...

My "VIP" alarm/keyless entry is funky. Sometimes it will do that "Chirp" when I lock/unlock the doors...sometimes not.

Sometimes I wont lock the doors, and 15 seconds later it will automatically lock, but, most of the time it wont.

How do I fix this? Can I just try resetting the brain unit, or will that not do much?

I feel like my unit is defective. (no pun intended)
Old 05-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Put the key fob under your chin and then hit the button...you'll gain some distance. I could unlock/lock and remote start my truck from 15 stories up doing that.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
BTW...

My "VIP" alarm/keyless entry is funky. Sometimes it will do that "Chirp" when I lock/unlock the doors...sometimes not.

Sometimes I wont lock the doors, and 15 seconds later it will automatically lock, but, most of the time it wont.

How do I fix this? Can I just try resetting the brain unit, or will that not do much?

I feel like my unit is defective. (no pun intended)
Sounds like you are switching between valet mode and passive arming. A lot of alarms will go into valet mode if you lock the doors with the driver side door open (on mine I would leave the door open and hit lock, unlock, lock - then it would switch into valet mode. Repeat to get out of it). When in Valet, it probably doesnt chirp as the alarm is deactivated.

The passive arming thing (locks automatically after 15 seconds) is probably a result of hitting the buttons while the key is in the ignition. Personally, I LOVED passive arming. Nothing like filling your arms full of groceries and not having to worry about locking the doors since they will lock automatically. Anyway, check out your manual on how to activate and deactivate passive arming. It's usually a sequence of button pushes with the key in the ingition.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:13 PM

Put the key fob under your chin and then hit the button...you'll gain some distance. I could unlock/lock and remote start my truck from 15 stories up doing that.
does anyone know if there are any effects on the body or brain?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

I highly doubt it...with all the cell phone usage going on - id worry about that instead.

Quick Reply: keyless entry