Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Internal head gasket leak, mechanic recommends engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internal head gasket leak, mechanic recommends engine replacement?

I have a 96' Tacoma 4x4 3.4l V6 with 138,000 miles. I just took it into the shop after having the check engine light starting blinking on me while I was on the freeway. It did not overheat for a second.
It was diagnosed as a leaking head gasket. The #4 and #5 cylinder spark plugs had obvious coolant residue on them and the #5 spark plug had completely failed. The mechanic replaced the spark plugs, the check engine light cleared, and it ran like new for a day. After a day or so of light local driving, the check engine light has returned and my truck is garaged.
The mechanic is recommending that I replace my engine because it "has so many miles on it", but I'm a stubborn Toyota fan and I refuse to believe 138,000 miles is "too many". His justification is that coolant may have leaked into the bottom end and he's seen multiple instances of engines seizing not too long after rebuilt top ends. Is that true at all? I don't see why he can't just replace the gasket, check the valves while he's there, and be done with it.Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Last edited by SBMX; 07-18-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Did he do a compression check? If not then he has no right to recommend a bottom end rebuild. He's kinda right though, as I have also seen bottom end's go after tightening up the top end. it's usually because of rod bearing wear. But... if compression is ok and it's not making any weird bottom end bearing noises and no evidence of coolant in the oil, I would run with it. Only way for a headgasket leak into the cyl to make it into the oil pan is if the rings are not sealing properly which will be noticeable on that compression check.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-18-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Friend had a hg go on a 3.4 this weekend. Only 300k original miles though.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 AM

keep in mind, with the compression check, which ever cyl are affected by the headgasket are gonna show abnormal anyway. Go by the know good cyl pressures.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would look around to see what kind of prices you can find on engines around you. Sometimes it is cheaper/the same price to replace the engine as fixing a problem like this.

In which case i would replace the engine and either keep the other as a backup or sell it to make some money back. There is some 2nd gen guy out there that would love it for a swap.

Really depends on local prices for engines though on what is the better choice. 138k miles is far from reason enough to replace the engine though, mine has that many and still going strong.

But you do need to run the numbers and see what makes more sense. I would take a new motor good condition motor over fixing the old one if it is the same cost.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Texas Ace brings up a good point. Since your not doing the work yourself, labor costs might justify putting a new/rebuilt/ known good used motor in.
If doing it yourself, the cost for headgasket/head machining isn't gonna come close to the cost of those other options.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Depends on the shop as well. I have seen people on here quoted $1500 just to change a head gasket on a 22re.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 AM

"I sure hope the OP goes to a different shop to get his quote rather than the one he posted recommending a total engine swap. "

I am with this statement as well. In my experience if any mechanic that says this, they don't want to do the job and if you end up going that route, it typically ends up getting butchered because the guy just wants to get it done as quickly as possible just to get it out the door. Unless he was up front and says "this is what it will cost to replace the headgaskets and everything related/recommended and this is what it would cost for a used/rebuilt engine and the labor cost involved in putting that engine in. Sine it's almost the same cost and considering this engine has 140k on it and the new engine either has been rebuilt/low mileage I would recommend going the ladder route."

The only problem with a used motor with lower mileage is the fact you DO NOT know it's history, maintenance record etc etc. Sometimes a lower mileage motor doesn't mean it's gonna run any better then the one you have in there currently. Alot of times you have to also be careful in which years you grab as the sensors change throughout the years and alot of "non toyota" mechanics or even dealerships might miss this and keep the used engine's sensors in instead of swapping those over.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-20-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd send a sample of the oil into Blackstone to test for coolant. Also test the coolant for oil or exhaust gases.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Is there coolant in the oil? If so I'd look for rebuilt or used. I there is not and it's just burning the coolant, just rebuild the top end. There is a theory that if you replace the top end of a worn out motor, the new compression will blow out the weakest link( the worn out bottom end). I'm sure that's what the mechanic was worried about and does not want to be liable for.

How long are you keeping the rig for? If you plan on owning it for life than rebuild the motor or replace with a good used motor but have them replace the tb parts valve covers and rear main seal while it's out.
If you just want to half apple it and the oil was clean, replace the headgasket. Any established shop will not just swap the gasket. They will send the heads out for a resurface and cleaning and will insist on new tb parts. They will do everything possible to minimize their liability of the motor failing after their work.

Think about how much longer you want to keep this rig. And depending on the oil contamination. Call other shops for other opinions. Also I would check to see if the dealer had a recall going since the early 5vz motors 95.5,96 had a well known head gasket problem.