Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which intake is the best for the money

Old 04-01-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which intake is the best for the money?

I want to add a cold air intake and a custom exhaust to my 90 4runner so I can squeeze a little more juice out of the (incredibly underpowered) engine. However most of the cold air intake systems on the internet are outrageously priced. You can't tell me that production costs for a cone filter and a cheap piece of aluminum tubing make them worth over $200. Are there any cheap soultions out there that will still produce a decent performance increase? If so, which one is the best?
Old 04-01-2003, 10:49 PM

There are "MAF" adaptors that you can get at the rice rocket shops that replace your airbox. They are a small aluminum plate that bolts onto the front of the MAF intake. They have a 3" tubular ring welded on the opening that allows you to clamp a cone air filter right on it. I bought mine 4 years ago. I saw some at a auto parts store in Lynwood WA (Action Auto Parts) didn't get the price, but I paid $35 for mine and a cone filter when I got mine.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:47 AM

Sweet!

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like exactly what im looking for.
I have been looking on the internet for one and so far I can't find anything. Does anyone have a link to a site that sells this set up, or a phone number to a shop who offers it?
Old 04-02-2003, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

I just did this research, found that some people who upgraded from K&N filter to the full FIPK didn't always have big increases in power, the filter itself appears to be the trick. Also, I just ordered the amsoil filter for my truck, apparently they filter better and still allow the power gain. So I went with just a filter. $30 shipped.

You may want to stick to the truck applications, you could get one for the same engine in a car but because you're geared for torque the intake design can vary.

Last edited by dajabr; 04-02-2003 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:28 AM

I was looking at the Weapon R rice rocket site and found one that they produce. At the least you will have an idea of what they look like or how they work. There are cheaper ones out there.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:29 AM

Ooops Here we go again:

http://www.weapon-r.com/afm.html
Old 04-02-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the FIPK and while it was overpriced, I think it was 200 well spent. It rectifies 2 problems with toyota's intake - that stupid air box and the intake silencer/elbow. And with the FIPK you relocate all of your vaccum hoses, something you wont be able to with that kit. Also the inside of the PVC arm they give you is VERY well polished/smooth. My mpg wen up by 2-3mpg, but right now my catalytic converter needs replacing bad - either that or my o2 sensor.....

Steve

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-02-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:55 PM

Thanks alot for the replys guys. I still haven't been able to find anyplace that sells a MAS adapter kit though. I am not opposed to the FIPK kit. I know they work well, because I put one in my old Twin Turbo VR4, and it increased my horsepower and fuel economy significantly, however, I can't afford to spend $200 on an intake for a vehicle that only cost me 3 grand. Im looking for something in the $50 or less range. If any of you have any suggestions, or know of a website that sells something that will help my yota breathe better please send me a link.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All kinds of adapter kits on ebay. Just do a search for "Toyota Truck" in the parts section of ebay motors and you will come up with a bunch of returns. Only problem is that some of the kits are no-name and I don't know if I would trust just any filter other than the stock Toy or an amsoil. But that is just my opinion.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 AM

I was looking intodoing something custom like what you are, for a looong time. I was SO close to buying the FIPK before seeing that many people here are not too satisfied with it. (although they were mainly supercharged people)

I found at Procarparts.com there is a generic tube with cone filter for like 40$ (don't quote me on that) My plan was to pick up that tube discard the genericfilter it camewith and score an HKS super mega flow airfilter. (filters well, plus looks sweet, and very custom)

in the end, I went with the deckplate mod(just finished the other day) and I can't complain! It sounds sweet when shifting from second to third, and seems that it is a little more responsive. Who knows? I just like the throaty sound when I stomp it in 2nd!

well that's my $.02
~ Mike
Old 04-03-2003, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
during any heavy gas hitting I get the very throaty sound courtesy of removing the intake silencer....it can be annoying however. When I get my hiflow cat in, I think I'll see a large difference - well at least hoping for one...lol

Steve
Old 04-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

If you check out the tech section, there's a writeup about removing the silencer on the intake.
I haven't done it to my 90 yet, but I've read posts from other's who have completed this mod & they notice a power improvement. Best part is it's very inexpensive and you can keep the stock airbox for water/mud protection.