Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to wire in a killswitch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to wire in a killswitch?

I just bought a really nice 1998 extended cab 2wd Taco with the 2.4L engine. The Nissan truck that I'll be selling soon has a nifty little killswitch I wired in. I spliced a hidden pushbutton switch into the circuit that won't let the engine start unless the clutch is in. Now the switch has to be pushed and the clutch has to be in for the truck to start. I'd like to do something similar to my new truck, but it has an automatic. All my other cars have been stick shifts, so I don't know much about automatics. Is there a wire in a reasonably accessible place that won't let the engine start if it is interrupted? I know I could put an on/off switch on the EFI circuit or something that would keep the engine from running, but I'd rather have something like I had before; a pushbutton switch that won't let the engine start, even if it's hotwired at the ignition. Any ideas?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones
I just bought a really nice 1998 extended cab 2wd Taco with the 2.4L engine. The Nissan truck that I'll be selling soon has a nifty little killswitch I wired in. I spliced a hidden pushbutton switch into the circuit that won't let the engine start unless the clutch is in. Now the switch has to be pushed and the clutch has to be in for the truck to start. I'd like to do something similar to my new truck, but it has an automatic. All my other cars have been stick shifts, so I don't know much about automatics. Is there a wire in a reasonably accessible place that won't let the engine start if it is interrupted? I know I could put an on/off switch on the EFI circuit or something that would keep the engine from running, but I'd rather have something like I had before; a pushbutton switch that won't let the engine start, even if it's hotwired at the ignition. Any ideas?
You'd have to look at your schematic and figure out where to insert your kill switch. Discussing that in a public forum means thieves would also know where your kill switches are, wouldn't it? Best to do it with a local buddy you can trust.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Discussing that in a public forum means thieves would also know where your kill switches are, wouldn't it? Best to do it with a local buddy you can trust.
Because local thieves are highly likely to scan the message boards, and then find exactly where he lives and where his truck is?

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like interrupting the power to the fuel pump. Automatics have a start prevention feature if the shifter isn't in Park or Neutral...maybe that's a path.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Robb235
Because local thieves are highly likely to scan the message boards, and then find exactly where he lives and where his truck is?
Correct. Especially, if you show your location, your license plate number and pictures of where you park your truck.

Originally Posted by Keith B.
I like interrupting the power to the fuel pump. Automatics have a start prevention feature if the shifter isn't in Park or Neutral...maybe that's a path.
Correct.
And you can interrupt path to your ignition circuit, to your starting circuit, etc. Look at schematic, insert switches where you want them, tell only your trusted friends where they are.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM

Subscribed. I'd like to mount one in my truck at some point. I know there's more threads about this, but I figured I'd subscribe to this one since I'm here. You can explain how to wire one up. It doesn't necessarily mean you're telling thieves where the switch is.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 10-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM

I have actually been wanting to do this for a little while because I can't lock my doors (keys too worn down only works the ignition) I was thinking of tying one into the ignition switch but I would love to hear how other people have accomplished this because o don't know where to start. I'm not very good with wiring hahaha. Subscribed.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I think ill subscribe to this. Done.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM

I hadn't thought about the fuel pump circuit. That's a good one that nobody trying to hotwire the truck would possibly see. I'll try it out when I get a chance, take a few pictures and do a writeup if it works. I'm not too worried about anyone here stealing the truck. I seriously doubt that any of the criminal types who hang out in the housing project where I have to park read Yotatech on a regular basis.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
dswag why don't you have the dealership make you a new key? They can make one from your vin.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones
I hadn't thought about the fuel pump circuit. That's a good one that nobody trying to hotwire the truck would possibly see. I'll try it out when I get a chance, take a few pictures and do a writeup if it works. I'm not too worried about anyone here stealing the truck. I seriously doubt that any of the criminal types who hang out in the housing project where I have to park read Yotatech on a regular basis.
I did it on my old '91 truck, easy peasy. Even I, with the factory wiring diagram book, could find the correct colored wire in the bundle and add a switch.
The moron crooks might burn out the starter if they cranked it long enough, but starters are cheap and car thieves are in a hurry.
Of course, as the truck aged, I became less and less convinced that anyone would want to steal it and didn't touch the kill switch for the last 5 or 6 years.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:43 PM

interested
Old 11-01-2013, 04:00 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont need a kill switch, shift the t-case into neutral. Idiot thieves will not have a clue why it doesnt move.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a person who's had their Toy stolen before I have 2 switches (one inside an one outside).

One takes out the fuel pump and I use it on a daily/overnight basis.

The other one interrupts the signal from the distributor to the ECM to let the ECM know that the motor is spinning and to fire the injectors and it gets switched if I don't like the area or will be gone all day.

Both are inconspicuous and the outside one if a crook saw me he would just think I'm looking at my (insert part of truck here).

This message will self destruct it 5, 4, 3, 2,

I wouldn't trust the TCase being in neutral... Unless you can lock the shifter which I have also seen done. Basically weld a hoop to the shifter shaft and weld a length of chain to the floor, lock together. Measure rite and it will hold the trans in 2nd or 4th or the TCase in whatever's the lower position. Lol

Last edited by SoCal4Running; 11-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok…… Wow…..

Sorry but i have just have to.

The Nissan truck that I'll be selling soon has a nifty little killswitch I wired in
Nobody would ever steal a nissan. And if they did,,, they did you a favor. Much like those punk kids always steal my trash.

I spliced a hidden pushbutton switch into the circuit that won't let the engine start unless the clutch is in. Now the switch has to be pushed and the clutch has to be in for the truck to start.
Stop discussing these things over the internet. Your hidden switch isn't hidden if everybody knows about it. And new ideas are made old ideas a lot quicker when their advertised. Splice a switch into something important and hide it. And don't tell all your friends were it is and how it works and how smart you are. Otherwise you'll be a smart guy with no truck.

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 11-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh I'm sorry i just said nissan on a yota forum, guess I'm banned now.
Last time i said jeep i got "warned" so it only makes sense right. Jeep ford chevy nissan acura honda amc dodge chrysler mopar lincoln mercades saub blah blah you going to take away my birthday????
Old 01-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
As a person who's had their Toy stolen before I have 2 switches (one inside an one outside).

One takes out the fuel pump and I use it on a daily/overnight basis.

The other one interrupts the signal from the distributor to the ECM to let the ECM know that the motor is spinning and to fire the injectors and it gets switched if I don't like the area or will be gone all day.

Both are inconspicuous and the outside one if a crook saw me he would just think I'm looking at my (insert part of truck here).
good ideas
Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Battery Brain

Helps to keep you from getting stranded and has a built in push button switch that you can hide anywhere on or in the truck to disconnect battery.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...FSRk7AodIEAAYQ