Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which Headlight, One Headlight .)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Which Headlight, One Headlight .)

One of my headlights went out. So now I ask, Just so I know what I'm going to get into, where is the grille secured and how easy does it come off (94 4Runner) I'm at work now and will do this when I'm done I just want to know what kida project I'm lookin at (my first replacement). Also Any suggestion on lamps to replace it with?
Old 02-09-2003, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh?

Your 4Runner has composite headlamps. You do not need to remove them. You only have to replace the bulb. On the driver's side, you need to remove the little cover that is connected to your factory aircleaner to access the bulb. The passenger side is a little tougher - you need to loosen the battery hold-down to give yourself the room to pull that bulb. There is a retaining ring that holds the bulb in. I takes about 1/3 turn to free it. The bulb might be stuck to the housing, so work it out, but be kinda gentle. When putting the new bulb in, be certain to not to touch the glass at all - when removing from the package or installing. The oil from your skin will shorten the life of the bulb drastically. Hella and PIAA make good replacement bulbs. I had the Hella's and now am running the PIAA Super Whites. I've heard good things about the Sylvania Silverstars also.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

hmm Guess I didnt look hard enought last time I had the intake off. If thats the case then no prob. Thanks, and sorry for being retarded
Old 02-09-2003, 05:46 AM

Cebby beat me AGAIN!!! This is too much!
Old 02-09-2003, 06:49 AM

Nice signature

I can type pretty fast now that my frostbite is cured. However, I've yet to see any pics of this alleged Aisin Hub mod... come to think of it, I haven't seen a pic of the alleged 4Runner either....

Mossback - the first time I went to change the bulbs on mine (in 96 or so), I was trying to pull the grille too. There wasn't a Yotatech for me back then... All questions (about Yota's) are welcome here...

Last edited by Cebby; 02-09-2003 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

lights

on my 94' truck the lights were standard sealed beam and I had to remove my grill to put in some hela's, now the switch will be easy when the bulbs do go out.
I also put in the new wiring harness like
cebby did (I think it was cebby) from overland outfitters ($50) and some 80-120wt bulbs from a loca pourche place. I dont know if its the harness or the new bulbs but either way I can seeat night going through the mountains and desert.
as far as the pain in taking the grill off I did break a few of the plastic hold the grill on the truck things. small tie-ties worked well int broken plastic grill holder things
Old 02-09-2003, 07:53 AM

Yep. First time I burnt a sealed lamp on my '90 4Runner I broke numerous clips taking the grill off. Second time (when I knew better) I broke none.

Did the headlight style change in '92?

Warren
Old 02-09-2003, 01:19 PM

The headlight style for the 4 runner change to composite type in 92. The truck changed in late 95 to 96.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:37 PM

Re: lights

Originally posted by hilandfrog
I also put in the new wiring harness like
cebby did (I think it was cebby) from overland outfitters ($50) and some 80-120wt bulbs...
Wasn't me, but now I'm intrigued. What am I missing out on with the stock harness? Do I also need a HO alternator to make the most of the enhanced harness? Does anyone have a link the Overland Outfitters? I like the idea of getting more out of my stock headlights...:eek:
Old 02-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

cebby here is some info

I had put the harness in and the light at the same time here is the link and one other site that had really good answers.

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ess/churnd.htm

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/relays/relays.html

it seems it was corey...thank you corey for the great idea and write up
Repo
Old 02-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb Idiocy

So the whole reason I started this thread was because a headlight went out right. So after buying the Syvania SilverStars I trucked home to install them. After taking off that stupid intake shroud (left it off) I notice something, hmmmm. that plug isnt quite all the way on. Sure enough after Pushing the plug a bit that light come right on. I said "screw it" and intalled the SilverStars anyway. So, through a little stupidity I get my first mod HORRAY!!!! By the way, the bulbs were 39.98 for a pair at autozone and they had a 10 dollar mail in rebate.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 PM

yeah, got the headlight changed!

I am very happy. We've been pulled over for a non working headlight. Two mechanics refused to change the light for under $100...I went through a coupla places on the forum trying to figure out how to do it myself. Nothing seemed to completely describe the process.....

Short story, for newbies and idiots like me, you have to unscrew the windshield water reservoir, then unscrew the battery, then move the battery back, and then unloop the wiper water lines along with the electrical cord for the headlight from around the water reservoir, then take the reservoir out. It helps if you have someone strong hold the battery back, and just move the reservoir over, and hold them at the same time. Hubby good for this. I didn't want to pull it :-=)

Then try not to break the really old fastener-lock when you pull
the plug out, then rotate the collar that holds the bulb in place, then unfasten the old light bulb. Put the new one in, then reverse the process...

Long story: Way to go Toyota...I understand now that under the hood of this car was built by management saying 'we need this stronger, larger engine to fit into the same size compartment...how can we do this? And then the poor obedient techs said, well, if we route the harness behind the windshield wiper water tank, and link the wire assembly for the headlight over and behind the lines for the water tank, and make it impossible to get at the headlight (or many other parts, for that matter) in any sane fashion, we can do this!

I really prefer the lean look of my 4 banger 22r...it's much easier to work on...and peppier too.