Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Grease or lube throwout bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuki
my 82 and my 4-runner did this when I bought it.... Off the clutch pedal I would geta very light chirping, push clutch in went away.... What fixed mine was just adjust my clutch pedal. So that I had a slight bit more of freeplay.... I assumed mine was just barely touching the fins, giving it a chirp noise. Push the clutch pedal in, and the throw out bearing is mashed up against the fins.

My Runner did this, and I just adjusted it a tad and voila no more chirping.
You are the man!

I have been living with the "chirping" since I put a new clutch in in August 03. I figured it was either the front bearing or the TOB (even though I replaced it). I adjusted my clutch today (I never even looked for the adjustment before) and WHALA! My little birdie is gone !
Old 03-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

How do you adjust the clutch?
I am having the same discussion over this problem in another thread. Mine just started chirping, and it's driving me nuts.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scofco
How do you adjust the clutch?
I am having the same discussion over this problem in another thread. Mine just started chirping, and it's driving me nuts.
On my 3rd gen it's adjustable where the shaft for the slave cylinder connects to the clutch pedal.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Short lived excitement but new found joy

I should have posted sooner, but the chirping came back almost as quickly as it was eliminated.

However, today I was messing around under the truck with it running in Neutral (when mine chirped) and I grabbed the clutch fork and gave it a wiggle. This is the source of my chirp! I took the 2 bolts out of the slave cylinder and yep, metal to metal. Is there supposed to be a bushing in there? I think so, I will have to check with the dealer tomorrow. But anyways, I was looking for something to use as a bushing and I tried a valve stem cap and voila! it fits. This is probably a short term fix, I don't think a valve stem cap is rated for the wear of a slave cylinder bushing, but the chirping is gone! That chirping is sort of like chinese water torture.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:56 PM

I adjusted my clutch pedal a little and the chirping is mostly gone when the clutch pedal is not pushed when in neutral at idle. It seems like the 1-2 shift is a little smoother now. I'm thinking there was a little play or something before. Let us know if you find out about the bushing.

Last edited by 4x4Yota; 03-15-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I should have posted sooner, but the chirping came back almost as quickly as it was eliminated..
I actually should have posted before you wasted your time trying this. I gave that a shot a couple years ago and it came back too.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Is there supposed to be a bushing in there?
I don't think so. I just took some high pressure grease and smudged it where they contact. that isn't the source of my tweety bird. But I still haven't heard it since the flooding.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
I don't think so. I just took some high pressure grease and smudged it where they contact. that isn't the source of my tweety bird. But I still haven't heard it since the flooding.
I stopped at the dealership today and there is no bushing for it. So I stopped at Autozone and bought a vaccum hose cap that fits perfectly...No more birdie. I almost forgot how quiet it is supposed to be.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

I stopped at the dealership today and there is no bushing for it. So I stopped at Autozone and bought a vaccum hose cap that fits perfectly...No more birdie. I almost forgot how quiet it is supposed to be.
I hope you bought alot of them. I can't see it lasting very long being constantly smashed betweent the slave rod and the fork and rotating on it.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by keisur
Thats funny cause after a few water crossings the chirping went away on mine for a day. Water must help lubricate something I guess.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:38 PM

The only access hole in the bell housing I kno of is tward the bottom of the houseing im just not sure what u mean the fork is going threw I want to try what you are talking about but im not sure exactley how to do .any way u could explain for a dummy lol. I know there is like a rubber squar at bottom of bell housing that I can pop out and it will give me access into bottom of the bell housing is that the whole your talking about and were do I spray the greese lol. Could u try to help me understand please lol. By the way its my throw out barring cherping. It does it when the clutch is all the way out but if I just barley push on it at all it stops.